Small quality CD run

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cornsound
pushin' record

Small quality CD run

Post by cornsound » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:22 am

I want to get a small batch of CDs made for freebies, handouts, radio etc. The actual CD part is not really the issue, but I need a provider to put together the artwork/packaging/etc. With not a horribly long turn-around time.

Any recommendations before I just start searching the internet? Who's good or does it matter anymore?

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Small quality CD run

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:51 am

if you want a very small batch then I always recommend kunaki.com. the upside is that you can order 1 CD if you want. or 1000. or in between. The downside is they are a machine, a robot... there are no live people or phones. if you have a problem with an order you received they will usually reply by email otherwise they are pretty silent (I don't mind this). The price is pretty good, but they seem to have recently discontinued using USPS media mail so now, like with everything, shipping may be a big chunk... sometimes I order 5 at a time - now they changed it to 4 - so I could get the lowest price and cheapest USPS shipping. When my band sells some, I order more.

if by small you mean 50 or 100, then I've also recommended atomicdisc.com to clients and they were happy with the results. reasonable prices and turnaround times and they can help with real people.

for both I usually recommend the "jackets" because even if you find someone that wants a CD these days, they are less likely to want the bulky jewel case. and they cost less to ship. oh, and both do vinyl too if that's your thing.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:00 am

Solid Merch is A To Z Media's short run special setup.
They are a very good company.

https://www.solid-merch.com/cd-pressing/

cornsound
pushin' record

Post by cornsound » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:00 pm

If anybody cares, we went with Disc Makers. Their ordering process stuck out as being more streamlined/easier and the artwork templates were a bit better than their competitors too. We made simple a 1-sheet, got slim jewel cases, no shrinkwrap, basically bare bones CDs. They are totally fine and were delivered on time.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat May 20, 2023 7:06 am

I just did my last project with Atomic Disc (from Portland). Just received them the other day, They look great and we had absolutely no issues. The template were easy to use. They made them quickly (100 CDs in a couple days) and got them shipped out and even though I chose the slowest and cheapest shipping (media mail) I got them in less than a week. I had recommended a few clients to them and they were happy as well. Only downside is that now I've got 100 CDs and sometimes it takes awhile to sell them at shows (not many people buy them anymore with streaming). But hey, 40 already went straight to the band members to send to family and friends, so really it's only 60. lol.
Mike

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:24 am

It bothers me that you seem to want small quality CDs :shock:
WWRHS?

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:05 am

Mark wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:24 am
It bothers me that you seem to want small quality CDs :shock:
oh yeah, I totally misunderstood what he was looking for lol
Mike

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:06 am

i've used Kunaki and always been very happy with them.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:38 am

not to hijack this thread, but here's the real question... is anyone doing anything with CDs other than giving them away? pre-pandemic, we sold a few CDs at most every show. post-pandemic, it's been extremely rare if anyone picks up any merch to be honest, but CDs seem to be at the bottom of the list and its become a running joke. Just my luck as I funded the last couple of CD purchases for my band. :cry:

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again
- W
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:57 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:38 am
not to hijack this thread, but here's the real question... is anyone doing anything with CDs other than giving them away? pre-pandemic, we sold a few CDs at most every show. post-pandemic, it's been extremely rare if anyone picks up any merch to be honest, but CDs seem to be at the bottom of the list and its become a running joke. Just my luck as I funded the last couple of CD purchases for my band. :cry:

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again
- W
I'm looking at a box of at least 100 CDs from our last record, released very late 2019 on CD and early 2020 on vinyl. The only reason we did a CD press is because it's a multi-label release and the label in Lima, Peru did the CD version since CDs are still a popular item in South America. If it wasn't for that aspect, we wouldn't have bothered. It's all streaming, download, vinyl, or cassettes at the moment.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:21 am

I quit with making CD's some years ago.

But I still buy 'em.

Mebbe sell 'em cheap on yer page (bandcamp or whatever)?

Gtrs under dust cover - the opposite wall is maybe 125% more:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:35 am

I'm just going to save them all for another 5, 10, 20 years until people realize CD is better quality than all that other stuff, and the resurgence begins... long live the CD. :lol:
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:01 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:35 am
I'm just going to save them all for another 5, 10, 20 years until people realize CD is better quality than all that other stuff, and the resurgence begins... long live the CD. :lol:
I tried doing that, but I got tired of moving boxes and boxes of CD's every move and the space they take up...I don't mind moving/storing vinyl.
I ended up making sure every single fucking CD I had was saved on a hard drive and backed up, last summer. Mailed like 300 CD's to a friend's 14 and 12 year old kids since they were getting into weirdo punk, post punk, experimental, indie music. They were STOKED. The rest I took to the dump.