Yamaha MT-44 4-track cassette deck - needs service... Bay Area tech hints?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Antler23
studio intern

Yamaha MT-44 4-track cassette deck - needs service... Bay Area tech hints?

Post by Antler23 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:29 pm

I dig my 4-track out for the first time in a while and have been having a fine time using it. It needs some attention, certainly, and I'm looking for somewhere regional I can take it. I'm in Auburn, CA, so Sacramento/Bay Area is where I'm hoping to find someone. The machine - and its mixer - both need work, so it's not something I'd ship off.

Thanks!

jacksaturn
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Yamaha MT-44 4-track cassette deck - needs service... Bay Area tech hints?

Post by jacksaturn » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:36 pm

You had contacted me about this machine before you picked it up from storage — glad to hear it's operational! I don't know of anyone in the Bay Area / northern California working on cassette multi-track machines, but I'll be watching this thread in case some info turns up. Being that the Yamaha MT-44 is both dual component and hefty, I can totally understand why shipping is not ideal.

Jack
Recursive Delete Audio/Visual
Huntsville, AL
https://recdel.com/

Antler23
studio intern

Re: Yamaha MT-44 4-track cassette deck - needs service... Bay Area tech hints?

Post by Antler23 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:37 am

jacksaturn wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:36 pm
You had contacted me about this machine before you picked it up from storage — glad to hear it's operational! I don't know of anyone in the Bay Area / northern California working on cassette multi-track machines, but I'll be watching this thread in case some info turns up. Being that the Yamaha MT-44 is both dual component and hefty, I can totally understand why shipping is not ideal.

Jack
Hey Jack - yeah, the thought of driving the machine up to you in Portland wasn't entirely far-fetched, but shipping to AL isn't likely!

I did try out a new song on the MT44 the other day. It was great fun, but my plan to put it through its paces - including bouncing tracks 1-3 down to 4 etc - was thwarted as the tape speed started slipping and slithering. I didn't want the experience of my first 4-track session in decades to turn into a trouble-shooting/stress scenario. Instead, I filled up four tracks and bounced those in stereo into Logic. The two 12-string tracks move in and out of "doppler" mode and the keyboard track almost changes key after I'd punched it in. I had a great day messing about with the machine and I'd love to write more songs specifically for recording on it, but clearly it's needing some tech love!