Sub or bigger nearfields?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Hugelongjohns
audio school

Sub or bigger nearfields?

Post by Hugelongjohns » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:03 am

I've had my Genelec 1030As for nearly 20 years and think it's time for an upgrade. They're only small drivers which realistically give me about 60hz on a good day. So I was thinking of getting something better low-end wise and an upgrade generally. Or getting a good sub. Suggestions/advice? I guess around $1000 or thereabouts, more if I can get a trade on the Genelecs. I've got a pretty well treated room which is about 7x3 yds. Thanks everyone.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Sub or bigger nearfields?

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:13 am

I personally like all of the sound coming from the same source point. Therefore I say a 3-way design is the way to go. Something with a larger woofer, and a mid driver that takes some work off of the woofer.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:32 pm

I have a pair of these -- https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/136/fx8 ... -monitors/ (very reasonable price)
that I mostly use as a "second opinion" and they do put out a bit more low end than my Dynaudio BM6a's - but I can't get rid of the 6A's because I understand them pretty well. I would recommend trying to do something similar- changing to a completely new monitor can be hard, but having 2 sets is pretty nice. I built myself a passive switch (with a 4PDT toggle) or you can buy various switches (Coleman makes a line level selector for $130 - then again, mine cost me under $30.). Or maybe you have a console? I never liked a sub either.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:59 pm

I was going to suggest a larger set of Genelecs... but not with that budget.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Hugelongjohns
audio school

Post by Hugelongjohns » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:31 am

Yes a brand new set of big Genelecs would be the perfect solution but VERY expensive! I'm thinking maybe a bypassable sub that I can switch in and out to see what I'm missing from the 1030As. A KRK S10 or something similar? Any views on the KRK subs?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:45 am

I'd recommend then something else, like some JBLs. Active ones, 8" mains.

Cheers.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Hugelongjohns
audio school

Post by Hugelongjohns » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:02 am

Thing is, I'd need to spend a LOT to move up a big step in quality from the 1030As. They were a very pricey monitor when they were making them. But the suggestion from DigitalDrummer of a cheap set of 8" Kali or similar was an interesting one. I have Avantones too but I suppose a single cheap 8" near/mid might give me another perspective alongside the Genelecs and Avantones.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:37 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:32 pm
I have a pair of these -- https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/136/fx8 ... -monitors/ (very reasonable price)
that I mostly use as a "second opinion" and they do put out a bit more low end than by Dynaudio BM6a's - but I can't get rid of the 6A's because I understand them pretty well. I would recommend trying to do something similar- changing to a completely new monitor can be hard, but having 2 sets is pretty nice. I built myself a passive switch (with a 4PDT toggle) or you can buy various switches (Coleman makes a line level selector for $130 - then again, mine cost me under $30.). Or maybe you have a console? I never liked a sub either.
I've not heard of these! I've been interested in a pair of Kali monitors as well.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:31 pm

Unless you simply just don't like the Genelecs anymore, I would say keep them since you are used to them, maybe add a sub for low end if you're just trying to feel things more.

But buying a secondary set of affordable full range monitors to have along side the Genelecs and Avantones could be a great move though. As mentioned, Kali is definitely worth looking at, for less than a grand you could grab a pair of the Kali IN-8 V2's which are a pretty interesting 3way design that feature an 8" woofer and then have a coaxial mid and tweeter. The design helps compensate for a lot of the problems that arise in 2 way coaxial designs with bigger woofers, and can create a bit more of a tighter point source effect than 3-ways with separately placed drivers. I have a pair and honestly think they sound way better than their price-point might have you believe.

In another room I have a pair of Adam T7V's paired with the Adam T10S subwoofer and really enjoy working on that combo too. I think all that can be had for less than a grand as well. The sub has a defeatable crossover as most modern subs have these days so you can switch between sending full range to the T7V's without the sub or engaging the sub and crossover at a couple different frequencies. Again, it's a system that feels like great value for money, and I know they're not everyone's thing, but I find the ribbon tweeters really wonderful to work on.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:22 pm

My last setup was a pair of B&W 805s powered by a Jim Williams modded adcom 545 and some stupidly overpowered B&W sub (ASW 1000 or something? It was 700 watts).

For $1k and what you get selling your genelecs I’d bet you’d have money leftover.

I switched to Dynaudio LYD 48 and a matching sub. I do like this setup a lot but I did have way more volume with my previous system.