Recording a blown speaker safely

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Recording a blown speaker safely

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:29 pm

So, I have recently built a pair of TL806 "EV Builders Plans". I nearly sawed off two finger tips in the process. Now, finally able to mount the EV 12L's that have been sitting on a shelf for a decade or so in them I discover one is blown. This brings up 2 questions.

1) What is the best 12" driver, other than an EV 12L to put into a TL806 cabinet? I'm weighing Peavey Scorpion vs Eminence Delta Pro 12A right now. Leaning towards the Delta.

2) Assuming I get another cheapo 12" cab to throw the blown EV into, would it be safe for an amp to play guitar through it occasionally? I'm thinking when it finally dies it'll either open circuit or close circuit (with various unknowable ohmages along the way) which are bad for tube amps and solid state amps respectively. Is there a cheap amp out there that's known to be immune to both conditions? This speaker sounds so amazing. I didn't know that a blown speaker could add harmonics and weirdness like this. It's not at all just fuzzy, although it is that too. It has a voltage saggy quality to it. Like the harder I push it the quieter it gets. But with almost a caleidoscopic image of the sound. It almost sounds like it's going through the mooger fooger ring modulator somehow. What would Sylvia Massey do?

Thanks as usual.

ck
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Re: Recording a blown speaker safely

Post by jimjazzdad » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:07 am

Why not just rebuild the EV 12L (or have it rebuilt for you)? There are always kits and people who rebuild pro audio speakers. I had good luck with the folks at The Speaker Exchange in Florida when I had to rebuild the woofers on my JBL 4301B monitors.
https://reconingspeakers.com
(as the disclaimer goes, I have no affiliation...)
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:46 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:29 pm
2) Assuming I get another cheapo 12" cab to throw the blown EV into, would it be safe for an amp to play guitar through it occasionally?
LOL. Yes, it is safe, as long as the magnet coil can move freely, expending the electrical energy into mechanical, you should be fine.

PS this is how fuzz was discovered. "You Really Got Me"

https://youtu.be/fTTsY-oz6Go
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:14 am

jimjazzdad wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:07 am
Why not just rebuild the EV 12L (or have it rebuilt for you)? There are always kits and people who rebuild pro audio speakers. I had good luck with the folks at The Speaker Exchange in Florida when I had to rebuild the woofers on my JBL 4301B monitors.
https://reconingspeakers.com
(as the disclaimer goes, I have no affiliation...)
Thanks for that resource! I have a pair of old Auratone 5cs here... need work.

Cheers!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:12 pm

Wiring up a series/ parallel arrangement with a couple more speakers would protect an amp from both failure modes, at least to an extent.

I've known the joy of a perfectly blown speaker, they can deliver some great tones.
Village Idiot.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:13 pm

The speaker is giving me the willies. I'm going to record it once, just to post here, but then I'm going to get it rebuilt as suggested. There's only one guy that's ever done a successful speaker recone for me, but his line has been busy ever single time I've called him over the past 5 years, so I kindof gave up on him. The suggestion prompted me to try him one last time and I got through and he's still in business! So, thanks for that.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.