is there delay plugin like a delta lab effectron?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Re: is there delay plugin like a delta lab effectron?

Post by Calaverasgrande » Tue May 02, 2023 7:15 am

One of the reasons the Effectron sounds different is that the way it AD converts and DA converts is different than most other digital effects.
Adaptive Delta Modualation is what they called it. I'm not as up on my Nyquist stuff as I was fresh out of college and I don't have a schematic on hand, but it does seem to sound a lot different than other digital delay boxes.
It's a lot more rubbery and less solid sounding than a Lexicon, Digitech, Eventide etc.
Esp when you modulate the delays they have a quality that is just different.
The other thing I really love about Effectrons is the way subsequent repeats really do sound farther away.
It feels like each repeat is hitting a little hill that pops up out of the landscape another 50 yards away and is coming back at you through more air, a little bit more diffused. I'm sure there is an explanation for this having to do with the noise reduction employed to keep the unit quiet.
IIRC it is some kind of differential scheme.
Sadly my last 1024 died years ago, when my skills at fixing stuff were not as well developed.
So I only have a 256 now. It mostly gets used on the chorus/flange range, but every now and then I throw it on a vocal or something when the tempo is right for a faster delay.

There is also a way to get a fake reverb out of it that I used to do many years ago in SR work in clubs when I didn't have a reverb.
I use this on snare now when I am trying to go for a late 70's early 80's post punk/industrial vibe.
It's also fun to use modular CV to drive the modulation. Though this takes some work to hit the right voltage range. Worth it to use shapes besides Sine for the LFO.

The only plugin I've found that has a similar character to my ears is the UAD Cooper Time Cube.
Though that lacks modulation, it has a lot of the same midrange flavor on certain tone settings.