Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: The dreaded Pro Tools upgrade

Post by trodden » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:35 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:03 am
I pay half price for my PT update. How?

I only buy it every other year. Also, by waiting that long, it feels like they actually added useful stuff to it. And bugs. More yummy colorful bugs. ;)
Mmmmm.. BUGS!!! This route makes sense!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:16 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:

I only buy it every other year. Also, by waiting that long, it feels like they actually added useful stuff to it. And bugs. More yummy colorful bugs. ;)
I'm curious how that works. for me, the "support" is $199/yr, and if I were to let it lapse, it was going to be $399 to reinstate (now maybe Avid has dropped that to $199, but I have not tried it and I'm caught up anyway). so I guess I'm not getting the half price thing?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:27 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:16 pm
Nick Sevilla wrote:

I'm curious how that works. for me, the "support" is $199/yr, and if I were to let it lapse, it was going to be $399 to reinstate (now maybe Avid has dropped that to $199, but I have not tried it and I'm caught up anyway). so I guess I'm not getting the half price thing?
They always have sales.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:50 pm

OK!
I've got the perpetual 2023.9 license installed! All of my plugs transferred over! Now it's time to decide what I buy (plug in wise) that I was not able to transfer over, mostly a bunch of WAVES plugs.

Previously I used the WAVES Studio Classics bundle, CLA Classic Compressors bundle. All of those plugs, a lot.

Looking at the SLATE all access subscription. Wow! That's a lot of plugs! I'm guessing they're pretty damn good as well? I'm also considering some Plug in Alliance options over the WAVES stuff.

It's all a bit overwhelming!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:44 pm

That said. Here I am on WAVES website figuring out what I NEED and what combos I can buy to get a couple for free.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:23 pm

I like the Slate VBC compressors (mix buss) a lot and I still use the Waves CLA comps too. The Slate VMR (virtual console are cool, but now you also have "heat" (for at least the next 12 months). I also like the Sonimus console plugins - I have Britson, Satson, and A-console. Their free SonEQ is great to have too. I bought my Slate plugins, not the subscription (I hate subscriptions).

Plugin Alliance. they will sell you anything for $29.99 eventually, just like never buy a Waves plugin for more than $29. just be patient. might as well get the free stuff too -- https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... undle.html

Look in your Avid account because I think the Classic Compressors is included... and a bunch more. But if you stop the annual support on your perpetual license, then they stop too... oh, and there should be a voucher for some PA plugins (if not, msg me, I think I have an extra...). Look under Pro Tools Inner Circle (in your avid account).

you might as well get the free UADx la-2a while you are at it- https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/comp ... essor.html

The UAD spark might be a good option if you don't have DSP UAD - the spark versions are the same, just run native. but not as many UADx plugins yet.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:21 am

Well Black Friday is coming (as marketing emails have already been pointing out this week), all the best plug-in deals will be then.

Last year plug-in alliance did a deal where I could get every plugin they made up through the beginning of 2023 for $299, as a perpetual license.

I would never spend money on waves.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:12 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:23 pm
I like the Slate VBC compressors (mix buss) a lot and I still use the Waves CLA comps too. The Slate VMR (virtual console are cool, but now you also have "heat" (for at least the next 12 months). I also like the Sonimus console plugins - I have Britson, Satson, and A-console. Their free SonEQ is great to have too. I bought my Slate plugins, not the subscription (I hate subscriptions).

Plugin Alliance. they will sell you anything for $29.99 eventually, just like never buy a Waves plugin for more than $29. just be patient. might as well get the free stuff too -- https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... undle.html

Look in your Avid account because I think the Classic Compressors is included... and a bunch more. But if you stop the annual support on your perpetual license, then they stop too... oh, and there should be a voucher for some PA plugins (if not, msg me, I think I have an extra...). Look under Pro Tools Inner Circle (in your avid account).

you might as well get the free UADx la-2a while you are at it- https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/comp ... essor.html

The UAD spark might be a good option if you don't have DSP UAD - the spark versions are the same, just run native. but not as many UADx plugins yet.
Thanks!
I see the bomb factory versions of the classic compressors. Which were FINE for me 2001-2015... maybe they still are?
I'm considering this...
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ge-nosto-1

Get my La2a, 1176, Pultec, and API 2500 needs out of the way

Ok, the Pro Tools Inner Circle was just too much for me the other day, now I'm looking into it and seeing the PA coupon!
Last edited by trodden on Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:18 pm

kslight wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:21 am
Well Black Friday is coming (as marketing emails have already been pointing out this week), all the best plug-in deals will be then.

Last year plug-in alliance did a deal where I could get every plugin they made up through the beginning of 2023 for $299, as a perpetual license.

I would never spend money on waves.
Right? I should force myself to try new things... but WAVES renaissance axx has been on my guitar buss for like 10 years along with OXFORD Inflator.
Then there's the L1 limiters, I should just be using my Massey Limiter anyways.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:26 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:23 pm
but now you also have "heat" (for at least the next 12 months). I also like the Sonimus console plugins - I have Britson, Satson, and A-console. Their free SonEQ is great to have too.
I'm looking forward to HEAT. I've also had my eyes on the Sonimus console things. Does HEAT do pretty much the same thing and would it be redundant to have both? At least I would OWN the Sonimus product and not have it rented to me yearly.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:38 pm

Along the "Own Versus Rent..." line when it comes to the "Heat..." corner of things?

Might be worth looking at Kush Audio.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:03 pm

trodden wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:26 pm
Does HEAT do pretty much the same thing and would it be redundant to have both?
I would say it's the same concept, but they don't sound exactly the same, no. Heat can be pretty easily heard (if you want), where as I find the others more on the subtle side (but when you disable either on a full mix you will probably want to re-enable it again...). I think the console apps can add some saturation, but also give some 3d wideness, bigness if you know what I mean? I don't think you'd regret having any of them, but something you could always demo and then decide later.
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:19 pm

trodden wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:18 pm
but WAVES renaissance axx has been on my guitar buss for like 10 years along with OXFORD Inflator.
Then there's the L1 limiters, I should just be using my Massey Limiter anyways.
once in a great while I would use axx for effect, but it's probably been 5 years or more since I have. there are so many better plugins - or at least better and useful IMO. The UADx La-3 is nice.
I've not used Oxford Inflator but I was never really a fan of the Waves L1/L2/L3. Also if you use something like YouLean Meter (which you can also get for free and I recommend it - I have the paid version, which is also great) you'll see that many of those legacy limiters allow intersample "overs". maybe you care, maybe you don't... not sure if Massey ever addressed that (I don't think so in L2007- I have it but have not used it in awhile). There are some PA plugins (bx_masterdesk true peak) that prevent this and the Slate Digital FGX2 does too (and sounds great IMO). The FGX2, Slate VBC, and PA Amek 200 EQ were the basis for a couple albums I mixed/mastered recently.
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:32 pm

I’ve used the Waves NLS on a few mixes and enjoyed what it added, so that’s what got me looking at the Sominus option.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

The Slate VBC looks impressive!