Acoustic Guitar in Untreated Room

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Acoustic Guitar in Untreated Room

Post by Mustang Martigan » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:41 am

Before I go into the studio, I want to record my songs, as best I can, at home. Then I can let the engineer decide what needs to be redone to get it radio ready.
I can only afford a weekend lockout, so the less I need to redo per song, the better.

I don't have any room treatment, so I'll have to get creative tracking the vocals, acoustic guitar n percussion (shaker, tambo, etc.). I'm guessing dynamic mics will work best (atleast for the vocals).

I'm using the acoustic as an added layer of percussion, so I want to mic it, in addition to DI. It's kinda mimicking the hihat, so I'm unsure whether a dynamic can give me the high end I'm looking for.

I'll be renting mics, and I'm looking for some suggestions on models.

Thanks.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Acoustic Guitar in Untreated Room

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:23 am

What mics do you currently own?

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:01 am

Recording Acoustics in an untreated room:

If you want to get a tighter sound some absorption behind the microphone will help.

No absorption?
You can accomplish this if you have 2 extra mic stands w booms by setting each one up as a T (boom horizontal to the ground) and draping some blankets over them. Put them in an inverted V (^) with the mic in the middle and it will tighten things up a lot.

Don't have extra mic stands?
Open your closet, the one with all the clothes in it. Face the open closet and put the Microphone between you and all the clothes. This will also tighten things up a lot.

These 2 methods will work with any microphone. Even cardiod mics pick up more than you realize from behind the mic.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:12 am

Exactly what Eric said ^^^

or as cliche as it may sound, standing the mattress up against the wall will help reduce reflections (which is the enemy you are fighting). Or just record in the biggest room you have, which can also help (vs recording in a small square room).

Edit: bookshelves are also excellent diffusors (as long as they are full of books)
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:15 am

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:41 am
Before I go into the studio, I want to record my songs, as best I can, at home.
Most artists do "demos" at home, and rarely have the expectation of keeping anything from those sessions.
Then I can let the engineer decide what needs to be redone to get it radio ready.

You should expect everything and anything to get re recorded.
I can only afford a weekend lockout, so the less I need to redo per song, the better.
All the more reason too REHEARSE your performances of any instruments and vocals etc. that you will be doing yourself, and if you have a band, have rehearsals with them too. Does not sound like you have a band... If you can get to where you can perform each part perfectly in one or two takes, so much the better. In case you have to re record everything.
I don't have any room treatment, so I'll have to get creative tracking the vocals, acoustic guitar n percussion (shaker, tambo, etc.). I'm guessing dynamic mics will work best (at least for the vocals).
Do yourself a favor, and write out the ARRANGEMENT (aka the instrumentation) for every song. And then, stick to it. The studio time you can afford is NOT the place for experimentation. It is the place to capture a perfect take of all instruments and a final vocal, period. Especially if you expect to mix withing that time frame as well. Perfect takes = No editing, more mix time.
I'm using the acoustic as an added layer of percussion, so I want to mic it, in addition to DI. It's kinda mimicking the hihat, so I'm unsure whether a dynamic can give me the high end I'm looking for.
The issue here is your expectation of the hits on an acoustic guitar giving you the high end frequencies of a hi hat. It won't. Use a dynamic mic. You'll be fine. Worry far more about the performance than the sound for now. The studio engineer can help you replace that percussion sound if you do not get it right in your home.
I'll be renting mics, and I'm looking for some suggestions on models. Thanks.
Not sure why you would spend more money on recording a demo. What do you currently own? Learn to use what you have. After all, the studio will be where you get nicer equipment to re record anything you could not get sounding right in your home. Renting nice mics in an untreated room is not going to get you there.

Cheers, let us know how it progresses.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:14 am

Excellent advice here for sure. I'll just add that you can get acoustic foam for really cheap these days. It might be worth your while to spend 40 or 50 bucks on some foam tiles even if you don't keep them when you're done. It's not going to work miracles, but it can help. (My own treatment is a mix of Owens Corning panels found cheap on craigslist and some foam bass traps found on the street--plus an open clothes closet, which helps a whole lot.)

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:14 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:01 am
Open your closet, the one with all the clothes in it. Face the open closet and put the Microphone between you and all the clothes. This will also tighten things up a lot.
This is actually what I've been doing for vocals. I'd like to try using a better mic than my MCA SP1. Also, when I get better equipment, I always perform better.

I understand why some of u think it's a waste of money renting, and a waste of time recording, but I'd like to try doing it myself first...to see how good I can get it.
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:15 am
...your expectation of the hits on an acoustic guitar giving you the high end frequencies of a hi hat. It won't. Use a dynamic mic. You'll be fine.
I guess I described my intent here poorly. The percussive quality I'm giving the acoustic comes from a few aspects of my playing. I'll be layering takes that compliment each other, in their playing, as well as, tone, e.g. a high end sizzle track, a tight low end track, etc.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate some mic recommendations.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:04 pm

Amateur here - consider everyone else's advice first.

As I understand, your current MCA SP1 is an inexpensive condensor, and inexpensive condensors tend to be bright.

I know what you said, but think you might do just fine adding a dynamic or even a ribbon to that.

Try one mic mostly on the voc and the other mostly on the guitar, and then try the opposite - make sure you understand patterns, nulls, other positioning possibilities (that "T", for instance) ...

Then mebbe try each one close or far.

Try it in the kitchen, in front of the open closet, in the living room ...

It's a good way to get yer stuff tight (yeah, do be sure to write down what you did with what, and the arrangements), and get a good idea of current and future possibilities at home, and what to shoot for in-studio.

And because you think you might want to use some of the home tracks, consider a click track.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:12 pm

vvv wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:04 pm
A (yeah, do be sure to write down what you did with what, and the arrangements),
Snapshot is a cool and free VST for doing that (with pics!) inside your DAW. I use it often, but should be way more diligent about taking pics of mic positioning especially.
https://non-lethal-applications.com/products/snapshot

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:24 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:12 pm
vvv wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:04 pm
A (yeah, do be sure to write down what you did with what, and the arrangements),
Snapshot is a cool and free VST for doing that (with pics!) inside your DAW. I use it often, but should be way more diligent about taking pics of mic positioning especially.
https://non-lethal-applications.com/products/snapshot
I use Snapshot for my analog mix bus comp (and soon EQ) for recalls. What a cool little tool!!!

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:58 am

Furniture in a room makes for an ok environment for acoustic guitar imo.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:53 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:12 pm
I take pics but because my DAW is intentionally not on the net I still hafta put 'em onna USB drive or plug the camera in to transfer them ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.