TAC MATCHLESS

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Neve
audio school graduate

TAC MATCHLESS

Post by Neve » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:46 am

Hi all,

I've had this Tac Matchless for quite some time now (over 10 years). However, I understand it is quite an early model with an original feature that others I've seen don't have (Mono Button on the Master), and it didn't come with it's patchbay.
This never bothered me because I was basically just using it for the pre-amps. All the Line I/O are directly connected to 3 RME ADI-8 QS converters, and 2 sets of monitors are connected at the back of the console, and that's it.

Now I really want to use it to it's full potential, but I understand that I cannot use the SUB-GROUPS nor the AUX without the EDAC patchbay. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I don't even know where to start to properly wire it... I don't even see where the EDAC connector is.
I will have to make all that by myself because the pre-wired patchbay isn't available.
On a side note, all the preamps have been changed for the Langley/AML ones some time ago, and they are truly amazing.
It has also been entirely recapped in the process.

Any help to figure out how to approach this would be appreciated. I have the manual from AML as well.
I really have no idea where to start and what to buy.

Thank you all for your support.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: TAC MATCHLESS

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:43 am

Dave Rochester at Technical Ausio Services is probably gonna be you best bet for anything TAC or Amek related.
http://techaud.com/wp/

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:50 am

First, find the EDAC connector.
Is it physically present on the board? Is there only one? (My soundcraft 600 has something like 8 EDACs on the back)
Do you have the corresponding pages in the manual?
Without the documentation, this becomes a serious forensic exercise.

Then buy all the EDAC parts.
Count the number of pins - there are a handful of different sizes.
Double and triplecheck the connector you'll need to mate - EDAC has 4 genders.
EDACs are sold piecemeal.
Buy the mating faceplate.
Buy the matching backshell.
Buy the cable clamp for the backshell.
Buy the correct number of pins. Decide if you're crimping or soldering the pins, and get the right ones.
If you're using crimp pins, get a crimper.
If you want to avoid serious pain, consider buying the pin removal tool while you're at it.

Than get a patchbay.
And some patch cables.
And some cable - snake cable or "console cable"

I'm assuming that the subgroups don't work because the patchbay provides normaling on the subgroup insert points - without the bay, it's just an open connection. You'll need a bay that can be normalled to match.

I see a giant Matchless desks selling for ~$1000 on Reverb. Getting a complete one might be less effort than sorting out the bays yourself, especially if you've never done that sort of work before.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Neve
audio school graduate

Post by Neve » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:02 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:43 am
Dave Rochester at Technical Ausio Services is probably gonna be you best bet for anything TAC or Amek related.
Thank you. I'll try to contact him.

Neve
audio school graduate

Post by Neve » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:16 pm

The Scum wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:50 am
First, find the EDAC connector.
Is it physically present on the board? Is there only one? (My soundcraft 600 has something like 8 EDACs on the back)
Do you have the corresponding pages in the manual?
Without the documentation, this becomes a serious forensic exercise.

Then buy all the EDAC parts.
Count the number of pins - there are a handful of different sizes.
Double and triplecheck the connector you'll need to mate - EDAC has 4 genders.
EDACs are sold piecemeal.
Buy the mating faceplate.
Buy the matching backshell.
Buy the cable clamp for the backshell.
Buy the correct number of pins. Decide if you're crimping or soldering the pins, and get the right ones.
If you're using crimp pins, get a crimper.
If you want to avoid serious pain, consider buying the pin removal tool while you're at it.

Than get a patchbay.
And some patch cables.
And some cable - snake cable or "console cable"

I'm assuming that the subgroups don't work because the patchbay provides normaling on the subgroup insert points - without the bay, it's just an open connection. You'll need a bay that can be normalled to match.

I see a giant Matchless desks selling for ~$1000 on Reverb. Getting a complete one might be less effort than sorting out the bays yourself, especially if you've never done that sort of work before.
Thank you. I have no idea where the EDAC connector is. It is definitely not on the back. The manual says one 90-pin EDAC... That doesn't seem nearly enough for a factory 288-point patchbay across 3x96-point patchbays... Or am I missing something...?
The factory patchbays I've seen are soldered on at the back, no TRS jacks.

I've never done this, but I'm pretty good at soldering, I was a trained EE back in the days. But it seems a pain...

I'm not going to buy another console just for the patchbays. I have neither the space, nor do I need it. And also I'm in Europe. This Matchless is great and sounds amazingly good and punchy.

Thank you.

Neve
audio school graduate

Post by Neve » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:16 pm

drumsound wrote:
Does he post here too?

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:20 pm

Neve wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:16 pm

I have no idea where the EDAC connector is.
Try the underside of the board. A quick search of Matchless pics on the internet suggest that's where you'll find it.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:48 am

Neve wrote:
drumsound wrote:
Does he post here too?
Not that I know of.
winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:20 pm
Neve wrote:

Try the underside of the board. A quick search of Matchless pics on the internet suggest that's where you'll find it.
I had a TAC Magnum and the EDAC and select XLR were under the patchbay as Winky suggests. But if you don't have the built in patchbay...

Neve
audio school graduate

Post by Neve » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:21 pm

Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:20 pm
Neve wrote:

Thank you. My search on the internet didn't show that. There is indeed a large metal board screwed on the underside. I will look there next.

Thanks again.

Neve
audio school graduate

Post by Neve » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:31 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:48 am
Neve wrote:
drumsound wrote:
Does he post here too?
drumsound wrote:

Not that I know of.
Okay...
drumsound wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:48 am
I had a TAC Magnum and the EDAC and select XLR were under the patchbay as Winky suggests. But if you don't have the built in patchbay...
I saw that in the manual. But the patchbay is supposed to be connected to the console via an EDAC connector(s).
So whether or not I have the built-in patchbays, the connectors should on the console.

I found pictures of the patchbays alone. They are indeed 3 (factory), and they all have a separate EDAC male.
So I should at least find 3 female EDAC underneath the board... (hopefully). I've seen some with over 6 or 8 patchebays....

Neve
audio school graduate

Post by Neve » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:33 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying, but beside for the timezone difference, I don't get notifications when a response is posted.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:39 pm

Neve wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:33 pm
Sorry for the delay in replying, but beside for the timezone difference, I don't get notifications when a response is posted.
You can change this in the User control Panel. Under Board Preferences, go to the Edit Notification Options tab, and adjust as you see fit.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:20 pm

I've seen some with over 6 or 8 patchebays....
The first 3 are probably the ones that are intrinsically connected in such a way that the desk won't fully function without them - normalled insert jacks and the like.

The others are probably just for outboard.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Neve
audio school graduate

Post by Neve » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:48 am

Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:39 pm
Neve wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:33 pm
You can change this in the User control Panel. Under Board Preferences, go to the Edit Notification Options tab, and adjust as you see fit.
Thanks. Just did.

Neve
audio school graduate

Post by Neve » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:50 am

The Scum wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:20 pm
I've seen some with over 6 or 8 patchebays....
The first 3 are probably the ones that are intrinsically connected in such a way that the desk won't fully function without them - normalled insert jacks and the like.

The others are probably just for outboard.
Yes, I believe you are correct. Thank you.