mixing bass with hard snappy plucks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Re: mixing bass with hard snappy plucks

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:40 am

If you get a chance when tracking people that play like this grab a screwdriver and set the bass pickups deeper into the body/pickguard.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:44 pm

I just had a picky/plucky bass track I recorded this past weekend. The bass player was a guitar player, doing his own bass tracks. He's a fantastic guitar player and we both know that his bass technique is not as good as his guitar.. but that's what we had between us lol. We were going into a Empirical Labs EL9 (Mike-E) and during tracking I had some light compression/saturation going on but I also hit the "HF Emphasis" button, which help soften the click of the pick. One track (and I think it was recorded before I hit that button or maybe he was just playing more aggressively) was still too clacky. I did initially try the Flux Bittersweet, but it was not helping. I tried Waves C4 (multi-band comp) but didn't completely cure it either. Then I put a Plugin Alliance Ampeg SVT-3 Pro plugin on there, EQ'd it a bit and no more clicky clack. it was a rock track and it sounded great for song. The amp sim seemed to soften that attack quite a bit even without scooping out mids and highs. I've noticed a real amp does something similar (where the same guitar will sound kinda bad via DI).
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:10 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:19 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:14 am
This makes sense too, but I also feel like this isn't just a gain/volume issue. Even if you turn down the transient, it's still there and is more manageable, but it's still not going to sound soft. Just quieter.
I know what you mean. It's called "bass playing technique." :lol:
haha, yes, the real solution is "Redo that part, and take it easy for fuck's sake!"
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:23 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:10 am
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:14 am
This makes sense too, but I also feel like this isn't just a gain/volume issue. Even if you turn down the transient, it's still there and is more manageable, but it's still not going to sound soft. Just quieter.
haha, yes, the real solution is "Redo that part, and take it easy for fuck's sake!"
It also will take less time. But what do I know, I only play a surgeon on TeeVee...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:28 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:23 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:

It also will take less time. But what do I know, I only play a surgeon on TeeVee...
I had a kid in last night doing the "pop" with the snare. I asked him to be careful because that can be problematic. Much to my delight, he was conscious that it can be problematic and did his best not to do it. I did go in and clip gain 2 or 3 right after the takes. It's so great when players have the facility to take simple directions like that.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:27 pm

I sometimes use one of reaper's built-in crossover plugins (or just eq's) to separate the bass' frequency ranges to different tracks, and compress them differently. I find I can use a faster compressor on the high end and control the snapping and clacking of a vigorous punky bass line without having to eq it out of existence.

You could also just copy the bass track and Hi/Lo/band-pass each to represent one range and compress/eq each to taste (which I think is how you've been known to do it, IIRC, Larry?)

I became such a fan of doing this that I set up a one-practice bass rig of Ampeg rack preamp->DBX Crossover->coupla compressors->GK & Ampeg 8x10 for lows / Marshall Half-stack for highs. Whoa nelly it was fun! But I'm not the bass player usually and I didn't want to get addicted to such a byzantine setup.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:44 am

drumsound wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:28 am
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:

I had a kid in last night doing the "pop" with the snare. I asked him to be careful because that can be problematic. Much to my delight, he was conscious that it can be problematic and did his best not to do it. I did go in and clip gain 2 or 3 right after the takes. It's so great when players have the facility to take simple directions like that.
Revel in that victory. Lately I've been trying really hard to explain the counter-intuitive nature of drum heads and how they sound bigger when you're not obliterating them. It almost never works. One thing I do, when I actually remember to, is to have them record 4 hits on each drum before we start doing takes, because during the setup they never play as hard as when the band is all-in. Gives me something to use later to replace the hits that sound all choked off and weird.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:19 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:44 am
drumsound wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:28 am
Nick Sevilla wrote:

Revel in that victory. Lately I've been trying really hard to explain the counter-intuitive nature of drum heads and how they sound bigger when you're not obliterating them. It almost never works. One thing I do, when I actually remember to, is to have them record 4 hits on each drum before we start doing takes, because during the setup they never play as hard as when the band is all-in. Gives me something to use later to replace the hits that sound all choked off and weird.
I should get into that habit! It's also helpful if there's a crackle or other weirdness electronic issues.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:13 am

I try to remember to do that with a cuppla-5 different velocity hits on each drum, and the cymbals

The crashes can be good for covering a variety of glitches, even if just temporarily.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.