mixing bass with hard snappy plucks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

mixing bass with hard snappy plucks

Post by joninc » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:00 pm

I'm mixing an indie rock song with some pretty intense plucky bass where the first hit of a run has a hard "snap" .

maybe the comp they were using kicks in after this first hit cause its usually fine until the bass stops and starts again - then the first hit snaps again. it's fairly loud/bright and distracting and sounds like digital clipping so it needs to be minimized.

what's YOUR best way to tame these hard snaps?

I've been just manually automating the volume down as no compressor seems fast enough to grab em.

Curious if any of you have better tips or other ways to address this... I don't want to roll off all the top end cause it does need to cut through and drive the song.

(no i did not record this nor can will it be re-recorded)
the new rules : there are no rules

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: mixing bass with hard snappy plucks

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:14 pm

sometimes I'll go in and do a very slight fade on each of the offending notes - just enough to soften the attack so that it sits where I want it (I've done it on an acoustic guitar too where the player got a little too excited...). Hopefully it's not too many if you choose this method, but it can be effective if done carefully.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:52 pm

Hmmm... make a copy of the track, slide it a tiny bit back in time, and use that as the sidechain to a compressor?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:45 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:52 pm
Hmmm... make a copy of the track, slide it a tiny bit back in time, and use that as the sidechain to a compressor?
That's kinda brilliant.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:00 pm

If yer ITB you can actually use a click-remover, which I find most accurate when blowing up the track visually and just applying it right on the peak of the attack spike - it's basically un-noticeable that you did it.

An FFT view makes that a faster process.

A low-pass filter can help some, also, but not totally.

FWIW, I find this an issue when recording with certain effects (envelopes, chorus, but not always), or sometimes just when using a pick or slapping.

Never been much of a issue with plucks for me, but I reckon I don't do that much.

My fingerstyle, I never have that issue.

Also, sometimes the compressor is set to squash a fair amount but starts too slow, and I notice that more with tube compressors, and also tube pre's.

But really, with bass, it's a matter of playing technique and monitoring to be able to hear it when it happens.

I record me with FX and 'pressors going in all of the time, but when recording someone else I like to record a safety track with minimal or no FX onnit.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:25 am

vvv wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:00 pm
If yer ITB you can actually use a click-remover, which I find most accurate when blowing up the track visually and just applying it right on the peak of the attack spike - it's basically un-noticeable that you did it.
who makes this?
the new rules : there are no rules

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:52 am

Probably a multi-stage process, but I would start with some sort of saturation plugin to clip the peaks (Fabfilter Saturn works best for me). Compressors never work.

You could also try re-drawing the waveform. I've had occasional success with that.

If you can find other instances of the offending note that aren't so crazy, cut/paste.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:52 am

Doesn't Split EQ or something else from Eventide made for things like this? The plugin separates the transients from the sustain and allows you to treat them differently.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:23 pm

joninc wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:25 am
vvv wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:00 pm
who makes this?
I use it in Cool Edit Pro (now Audition) but I've seen it in other DAW's - it's usually linked in "noise reduction" menus.

BTW, "hard snappy plucks" might be my next band name.

:high:

Top 'o the page toya's!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:50 am

a transient designer might work too. I've never really found one that you can just slap on the track and it works for every problem though. That's why I do the fade thing on the worst offenders.

But, more than once, I have used this free plugin from Flux called Bittersweet - https://www.flux.audio/project/bittersweet-freeware/
I've used it on acoustic guitars (works great for tracks that were recorded with import mics that pickup too much clicky pick noise) - just move it toward "sweet" and it rounds off the sharp transients. I've been able to fix 90% or more of the track with just this. of course it will depend on the track.

btw, I kinda hate their installer...

I have Waves De-click but never found it that useful. I also have Izotope RX6, but it always left too much artifacts (or killed the tone)
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:52 am

Yeah, Waves De-Click is anuvver.

The trick with that, like with Cool Edit, is to "manually" apply it - why a Fournier view can help.

Set auto, as I recall, (I think that was Waves), it missed too many.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:23 pm

If it's inside your DAW: just select the offending giant click, and GAIN it down a lot. I do. Takes a few seconds, and you don't have to fiddle for minutes with plugins.

Just bring it down in level until it is no longer a concern.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:14 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:23 pm
If it's inside your DAW: just select the offending giant click, and GAIN it down a lot. I do. Takes a few seconds, and you don't have to fiddle for minutes with plugins.

Just bring it down in level until it is no longer a concern.
This makes sense too, but I also feel like this isn't just a gain/volume issue. Even if you turn down the transient, it's still there and is more manageable, but it's still not going to sound soft. Just quieter.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:40 pm

iZotope RX via standalone and I'll do minute little tweaks with Gain module usually. Reducing gain on the brighter parts and leaving the body intact.

or putting those exact spots on their own track and treating differently with EQ and such.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:19 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:14 am
This makes sense too, but I also feel like this isn't just a gain/volume issue. Even if you turn down the transient, it's still there and is more manageable, but it's still not going to sound soft. Just quieter.
I know what you mean. It's called "bass playing technique." :lol:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.