Fateful recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Fateful recording

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:24 pm

So I was recording today what means getting high because if I can I put them things togevver I will every time because I like the result (look for it postered today).

Fatefully, I went for weed and sweet coffees.

Anywhat, I was thinking that ...

What? Oh, yep:

anyone wanna disclose their use of substances and perceived effect on yer music (writing, interpreting, performance, production)?

I'll start - :high: , I dig what I'm doing, pretty much start to finish.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: Fateful recording

Post by The Scum » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:15 pm

Is this entrapment?

Because you gotta tell me if it's entrapment.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:10 am

I get high from life, and from just being an American.

...but seriously, being creative is kind of its own odd drug for me. Best not mixed with others, but also something I don't want to be on *all* the time.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:04 am

I remember a blues gig in my early 20s where the bass player (who was limited to start with) and the guitar player were smoking hash (or maybe the were tripping) and THEY thought the gig was amazing.

In reality, they both played like shiiiiiiiiiit. The singer and I were not amused.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:09 am

When I am engineering (aka recording), that's done totally sober, well, coffee does not count ;)

I quit smoking, it was not helping my asthma. Nor my creativity.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:12 am

I find that getting stoned occasionally results in interesting ideas and a near-total inability to actually realise them.

A, my timing goes to shit when playing, and B, any work that needs to be done patching up stuff, setting up tracks in the DAW, etc. becomes an excruciating chore.

Sober — or with a beer in my head, max — I have interesting ideas, too, and can actually execute them.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:48 am

I’ve been staying (mostly) dry lately, and along with the added energy I have through the day, I’m really appreciating the clarity I have while trying to be creative. It takes a bit more intention to put myself in a creative place, but I’m lots more into it once there without anything to distract my mind or body.

Also, I’m getting old. Recovery time ain’t what it used to be.
Last edited by mjau on Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:00 pm

I can drink beers when tracking, and sometimes it's necessary calories! ahahah. In moderation of course. Weed, I can't do anything, but grow it. I'm a gardening nerd as well, but I have the tolerance of a hummingbird, unlike my wife who is a smoke stack. I like listening to music while a little high, either at home or at a show, but I can't make decisions on mixes or deal with the usual audio gremlins that pop up during a tracking session while stoned.
Mixing, I find even one beer/booze affects my hearing, in the high end. I can have one during lunch break, but that's all. More than two and things get cloudy in the ears, while my tolerance for booze is stupid scary high, being a fan of the drink, I'll save the celebration beers when doing bounces and backups.

Performing on stage, I have to have a couple in me. Even after doing this for over 25 years, stage fright is still a thing. Social anxiety is a big thing. I honestly enjoy playing out of town shows/tours more than local shows because not knowing anyone in the fucking crowd helps. No weed though, I start hearing things that aren't there, and being a keyboardist/sampler/noise/texture guy who's job is to add the extra stuff tucked in, I can't be paranoid that my rig is sending out some sort of noise that I keep hearing in my head.

Sitting around banging shit out on a guitar/bass/keyboard? fill my cup, give me a hit. Just got to make sure it's being recorded so I can listen to what I did.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:18 pm

I'll add to my above to say that when I started doing live sound, it was easier to stay away (and hear correctly) if I was sober.

More recently I had to stop drinking altogether because of a medication I'm taking, been doing that since around Christmas. I'm due to go off that medication fairly soon I think, but likely I'm just going to continue not drinking. That was already becoming sort of a possibility even before this.

So yeah, I'm very boring. Even gave up caffeine a few years ago.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:17 am

I have a very high tolerance for ETOH (naturally, and through use) so it's never been a concern for me - years bartending, etc.

Weed is something that can totally throw me off when playing, or enhance. A cuppla weeks ago the drummer I work with and me on bass did a cuppla over-10 minute improvs - one was 17 minutes. (These are edited down from that session and then overdubbed to:
https://vlayman.bandcamp.com/album/fingers-crossed-a-3p;
https://vlayman.bandcamp.com/album/11780-a-3p)

Sunday we had a cuppla bloodies and a cuppla hits and it was a successful 4 hour session in which we wrote 6-7 tunes. I do find it enhances creative jamming and writing, if not always the execution thereof.

Weed is OK for me when mixing - I tend to mix and re-mix and I never do all of the mixing high.

I did one gig where my rhythm section was tripping (not me) - it was a good performance but they were very weird doing it. Although they looked good in dresses, them guys. :twisted: (We used to cover, "Earache My Eye".)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:37 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:04 am
I remember a blues gig in my early 20s where the bass player (who was limited to start with) and the guitar player were smoking hash (or maybe the were tripping) and THEY thought the gig was amazing.

In reality, they both played like shiiiiiiiiiit. The singer and I were not amused.
Reminds me of the one and only show I played on shrooms, in which I stayed on stage after our set and kept playing so I could watch the lights bounce off my bass strings. Amazing for me, not so for everyone else.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:57 am

mjau wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:37 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:04 am

Reminds me of the one and only show I played on shrooms, in which I stayed on stage after our set and kept playing so I could watch the lights bounce off my bass strings. Amazing for me, not so for everyone else.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :P

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:54 am

Mighta told this story before but I broke up a (different) band when everyone but me was tripping and the 2nd guitarist insisted on gigging a Fender M80 (not so good 50 w. S/S amp s'posedly designed for "metal") instead of his good (but loud and heavy) Twin.

Things were said ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:04 pm

I tried playing a show (guitar) on shrooms once. It was nearly impossible, and I couldn't stop laughing. It was completely obvious I was out of my head. Punk bands were always the most fun.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:04 pm

vvv wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:54 am
Mighta told this story before but I broke up a (different) band when everyone but me was tripping and the 2nd guitarist insisted on gigging a Fender M80 (not so good 50 w. S/S amp s'posedly designed for "metal") instead of his good (but loud and heavy) Twin.

Things were said ...
Those M80's are HORRID!