Electro-Voice 641- got one? What do you think of it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Electro-Voice 641- got one? What do you think of it?

Post by Dubmaniac » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:21 am

Anybody ever used the EV 641 on anything besides harmonica? How is it for vocals? On a guitar amp? On a bass amp? On a snare drum? Anything else? I'm thinking about buying one, but I don't want to buy it if it's just going to rot in my mic drawer. If you have one, how do you use it? Or does it just rot in your mic drawer?
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Electro-Voice 641- got one? What do you think of it?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:06 am

Is it a hi or low z model? Or switchable? That may determine how much use it gets. That said, I've rarely met as old eve mic that I didn't like for something.
I had an earlier EV omni mic of a similar style (can't remember bteh model for the life of me) and liked it quite a bit as an overhead. It only goes up to 10k so it might be nice on annoyingly bright sources.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:34 am

hmmm. that's an omni mic, so as long as you have uses for an omni mic. Snare wouldn't be my first choice unless you are using only one mic on the kit, or you like a lot of bleed. room mic? overhead? sure. I've got an old 664 (wired as low impedance/xlr) that I like on guitar amps or sometimes as just an extra color mic. I also used it once as a "crotch" mic on a drum kit and it was surprisingly nice - got a lot of "snap" out of the kick and snare if I recall.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:29 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:06 am
Is it a hi or low z model? Or switchable? That may determine how much use it gets. That said, I've rarely met as old eve mic that I didn't like for something.
I had an earlier EV omni mic of a similar style (can't remember bteh model for the life of me) and liked it quite a bit as an overhead. It only goes up to 10k so it might be nice on annoyingly bright sources.
It's a low-z model (150 ohms), and it does include the cable that converts it to XLR. The 641 is also only rated to 10k. Maybe it's the same mic...?

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:19 pm

Dubmaniac wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:29 am

It's a low-z model (150 ohms), and it does include the cable that converts it to XLR. The 641 is also only rated to 10k. Maybe it's the same mic...?
If the cable has the 4-pin connector on it (MC4M), and the price on the mic is decent, it might be worth it for the cable alone. Last I checked, those connectors were like 80 bucks a pop!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:12 pm

I've got one! I guess it's really a lot like the 635A, just in a different sort of package. Haven't done whole lot with mine, it's just sort of always been with me since I found it at a university surplus place back when I was a teen. I think it would be good on guitar amp, which is where I'm currently using a 635A.

I guess it's basically "rotting in my mic drawer", except that I'd hate to sell it and every few years I pull it out and fix whatever needs fixing. Maybe I'll put it on the guitar amp for a while and see if anything interesting happens.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:46 pm

The E/V literature says it's essentially the same as the 634a. Given that the 635 and 631 are the same basic mic, the similar model numbers make me think these are probably basically the same as well, just in a different form factor.
I finally got a little burned out on my e/v collection last year, but that's just because I've used them so much that it's refreshing to try something totally different. From memory, I think I have a 627, a 631, 3 or 4 635s, and a case full of 664/665/666.
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:01 am

Reminds me of Chappie.

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:51 pm

So I bought it last week, and today is my first time using it in the studio, but not for tracking. I put it on a desk stand and used it as a talkback mic. Works perfectly, and looks cool too! I'll try it on a guitar amp next, but even if it sounds like garbage, it's still useful to me.