Best drum heads for general recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Best drum heads for general recording

Post by Phobos » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:08 pm

I am about to put new heads on the Pearl Session Series kit in my studio. Using Evans EMAD system on the kick. This kit will be used for rock, country, etc. I'm not a drummer. What's the "best" batter head to buy for snare and toms? Single ply or double ply? Coated or non? Thank you.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Best drum heads for general recording

Post by drumsound » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:48 pm

They all sound good and can work well across a variety of styles. I'm a Remo guy myself and I tend to favor Emperors which are 2 ply. I usually go clear on toms, and coated on snare. I have used single ply Ambassadors and gotten great results as well.

Single ply are a little brighter, with a smidge more defined attack, coating also aids the attack. Two play usually gives more thud and bloom, which I tend to like a lot.

I have Remo Pinstripes on my toms right now, and they are thuddier still, but they don't need to be tuned super low to get that. I'm about due to swap heads and I'm not sure what I'm gonna pick. Those colored Emperors are looking kinda sweet.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:24 am

Tony covered a lot of it. I use a lot of coated Emperors myself, and typically prefer a coated Ambassador on the snare drum. I've got clear emperors on one kit (but will switch to pinstripe soon) and coated emperor on 2 others. My live kit has black dots on it right now. However, there are soooooo many different tones you could get out of a kit so a lot of it depends on what you think is a good sound.

Depending on the which Pearl Session kit you have, those can be pretty good drums. I had some of the Session Custom (6 ply maple) and the more recent Session Studio Select (mahogany and birch). All of them like Pinstripes. The Session custom also sounded good with Ambassadors or Emperors, clear or coated - but all different tones.

btw, heads are f**king expensive these days. a box set of heads is usually lower price, but double check.

if you like a low thuddy sound without a lot of "overtones", then look at the Remo black suede, Evans Onyx, as well as the Pinstripes. Also Evans EC coated are pretty good at doing that too. You can tune them pretty loose and get a huge low thump from all of these - and maybe not even need a lot of moon gels or whatever. There are some good Aquarian double ply with extra rings and crap - like the StudioX. I don't really like the feel of these though - they are thick/heavy. Good for thumping but not a lot of responsiveness. but more dead than a single ply for sure. Personally I would stay away from something like the Evans hydraulic just because I don't the feel of them either.

if you like a more open sound, then look at the clear or coated Remo Ambasadors and emperors, Evans G1/G2 (1 ply/2 ply), Aquarian Classic Clear (I put these on for a lot of bottom heads). You can always damp these down with moon gels or more too. as a general rule, the 2 ply will usually last a little longer with heavy hitters.

I also like the PowerStroke 3 for bass drum better than the Emad, but the Emad is my second choice. I really don't like the superkick on bass drum.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:23 pm

I do also like how both Remo and Evans now put the "sound profile" on the drum head boxes, that tells you the tone, sustain, and durability of each head type. I wish they would put that info in a nice, online comparison chart but I don't see if on either Remo or D'Addario's websites (at least not until you drill down to a single product). I happened to have a new box sitting next to me, so...
Remo.png
Remo.png (706.2 KiB) Viewed 17341 times
Mike

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:48 pm

Lots of good advice above.

I've got Renaissance Ambassadors on the toms of one of my kits, clear Ambassadors on another, with clear Ambys or Diplomats on the bottoms of both.

Snares usually get a coated Amby top, clear Amby or Dip on the bottom. Diplomats aren't as easy to find as they used to be.

Kicks get whatever fancy kick head is on sale (or includes a ported front head in the package) - Superkick, Emad, Powerstroke. To me they're all pretty similar.

One further thought - who is the drummer(s) who will be playing this kit? They might have preferences.

Also, I tend to steer away from the heads with lots of built in dampening. They don't feel as good to play as wide open drums. You can also add dampening (gaff tape, tea towel, moongel, mousepad, whatever) to lose some sustain, but it's very hard to add sustain to a damped head.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:55 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:24 am
Tony covered a lot of it. I use a lot of coated Emperors myself, and typically prefer a coated Ambassador on the snare drum. I've got clear emperors on one kit (but will switch to pinstripe soon) and coated emperor on 2 others. My live kit has black dots on it right now. However, there are soooooo many different tones you could get out of a kit so a lot of it depends on what you think is a good sound.

Depending on the which Pearl Session kit you have, those can be pretty good drums. I had some of the Session Custom (6 ply maple) and the more recent Session Studio Select (mahogany and birch). All of them like Pinstripes. The Session custom also sounded good with Ambassadors or Emperors, clear or coated - but all different tones.

btw, heads are f**king expensive these days. a box set of heads is usually lower price, but double check.

if you like a low thuddy sound without a lot of "overtones", then look at the Remo black suede, Evans Onyx, as well as the Pinstripes. Also Evans EC coated are pretty good at doing that too. You can tune them pretty loose and get a huge low thump from all of these - and maybe not even need a lot of moon gels or whatever. There are some good Aquarian double ply with extra rings and crap - like the StudioX. I don't really like the feel of these though - they are thick/heavy. Good for thumping but not a lot of responsiveness. but more dead than a single ply for sure. Personally I would stay away from something like the Evans hydraulic just because I don't the feel of them either.

if you like a more open sound, then look at the clear or coated Remo Ambasadors and emperors, Evans G1/G2 (1 ply/2 ply), Aquarian Classic Clear (I put these on for a lot of bottom heads). You can always damp these down with moon gels or more too. as a general rule, the 2 ply will usually last a little longer with heavy hitters.

I also like the PowerStroke 3 for bass drum better than the Emad, but the Emad is my second choice. I really don't like the superkick on bass drum.
How are you liking the Black Dots? I haven't played them since I was a kid.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:53 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:55 am
I do like them. It feels more like an ambassador/emperor - still responsive. I've found myself tightening them up a bit more than I might an Ambassador or Emperor because they don't get "jazzy" that quickly, lol. I've got the PowerStroke 3 clear black dot on my kick and I really like that too (2000's era Yamaha Beech Custom Absolute - 22x14)
Mike

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:39 pm

Black dots?

God Of Thunder.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:15 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:53 pm
drumsound wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:55 am
I do like them. It feels more like an ambassador/emperor - still responsive. I've found myself tightening them up a bit more than I might an Ambassador or Emperor because they don't get "jazzy" that quickly, lol. I've got the PowerStroke 3 clear black dot on my kick and I really like that too (2000's era Yamaha Beech Custom Absolute - 22x14)
Interesting. Oddly, Tony Williams used them for years.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:42 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:15 am
true - but when he was playing more rock/fusion stuff! these don't really tune up to that bebop sound like an ambassador (they will choke sooner). but that's why I like them. To elaborate on my earlier statement, I can tune them a little tighter to get rebound responsiveness, but they still sound rock and roll if that make sense.
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:30 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:42 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:15 am
true - but when he was playing more rock/fusion stuff! these don't really tune up to that bebop sound like an ambassador (they will choke sooner). but that's why I like them. To elaborate on my earlier statement, I can tune them a little tighter to get rebound responsiveness, but they still sound rock and roll if that make sense.
Very cool. I wonder if that was the point all along. A more responsive feel, but a rock sound.

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Phobos » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:52 am

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice. I went with a coated Ambassador on the snare and clear Emperors on the toms.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:14 pm

perfect!
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:15 am

Phobos wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:52 am
Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice. I went with a coated Ambassador on the snare and clear Emperors on the toms.
A can't go wrong combination!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:59 am

I've tried A LOT of drum heads in my life

They can all sound good for sure

the first thing to consider I guess is the style - how open or muted you want them and that stuff - maybe

that said the best drum heads in my experience are

Aquarian modern vintage mediums - hands down the most durable - loudest brush sound (great coating never wears) - and classic tone