In-ear Monitors (IEMs)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

In-ear Monitors (IEMs)

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:48 pm

This may be a bit off topic since not really recording (although I've been tempted to use them when tracking). I've had a pair of Shure SE215's but haven't used them much. The little foam tips kinda suck and never liked the sound as a result. Finally figured out you can order triple-flange silicone tips so I did. Should get those later this week but I know that those tend to fit my ears better (because ear plugs I have use them). Also ordered a Behringer PM1 personal monitor amp. It's cheap and wired, but I'm a drummer so I'm not going anywhere. Played a show last night where everyone else used IEMs so I figured I gotta get my rig in order (the rest of the band was using Xvive wireless packs).

I may also get a pair of the KZ in-ears from Amazon (I have some, but they have a built in mic and don't need that). some of them get pretty good reviews and I figure < $25 is worth comparing to the Shure. But it's always challenging finding something that the drums and bass sound OK.

What is everyone else using (if you are using IEMs)? I probably won't be doing this enough to spend big $$ on Westone's or other custom-fits (even though I know that's the best way to go). I'll be driving the Honda in this Cadillac parade.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: In-ear Monitors (IEMs)

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:29 pm

I think a lot of professionals just use their live IEMs in the studio also, like why wouldn't you use very high quality custom-fitted devices?

I have a pair of the base model Sensaphonics IEMs, custom molded of course. I got them because I'm a live sound guy and once in a while get an IEM monitor mixing gig, or used to at least. Also very useful for getting high isolation when mixing for a stream in the same room as the performance.

Sensaphonics often does a sale in December, BTW.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:39 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:29 pm
I think a lot of professionals just use their live IEMs in the studio also, like why wouldn't you use very high quality custom-fitted devices?

I have a pair of the base model Sensaphonics IEMs, custom molded of course. I got them because I'm a live sound guy and once in a while get an IEM monitor mixing gig, or used to at least. Also very useful for getting high isolation when mixing for a stream in the same room as the performance.

Sensaphonics often does a sale in December, BTW.
I also have the Sensaphonics IEM custom molded dual drivers. I bring 'em to the studio when I know I'm gonna be singing. They are a great help.
Also if a drummer has some ask them to bring them as the click is never gonna bleed into the overheads with those things.

You do need a headphone extension cable to use them in the studio as all IEMs have short cables.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:44 am

i have custom molded Future Sonics. they are a great company started by the guy who created IEM, the OG Marty Garcia (he made them for Todd Rundgren). I got them back when i toured a lot and i would send them in for repair and they would update the drivers and fix any issues at no cost and ship them back to me. wonderful service.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:01 pm

I'm currently using Westone UM Pro 20's. Dual balanced armature drivers. They revised the cable maybe 7 years ago, and the revised one is more comfortable & form fitting over my ears than the previous style was.

I use them with comply foam tips, which are some sort of memory foam. They fit like a decent foam earplug. They're more comfortable, and block more external sound than other tips I've tried. They're also a bit spendy - I get them in bulk from an aviation supplier.

They'll also fit Shure tips, so there's a slightly more common option...I think some Guitar Centers even stock 'em.

I also got so sick of mini headphone jacks and adapters going intermittent that I put a real 1/4" TRS on my cable.

The custom molded ones are neat, but have a limited lifespan - the rubber hardens after a number of years, and they don't seal as well as when they were new. Not such a big deal for a large scale tour (the savings on diesel for not hauling wedges probably buy a pretty fancy IEM rig), a bit harder to swing for johnny-garage-band.

There are a couple of tradeoffs regarding the type of drivers:

Balanced armatures (like little ribbon mics in reverse) sound pretty good, and super-efficient, and work well in a fully sealed system, so they'll block more external sound. They also don't have great low end.

Dynamic drivers (regular little loudspeakers) usually involve a port to the outside world. It enhances the low frequencies, but reduces the isolation. They also take more power to drive - maybe more important if you're on a belt pack.

Now some companies are making IEMs with a mix of both, maybe the best of both worlds?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:42 am

I got a set of Westones for $100 ish a few years ago when a band I play with put together a small PA that didn't include wedges. They came with foam and silicone tips, and I HATED the sound of the silicone for the acoustic drum bleed. I'm a hardcore foam earplug user, so I use the foam tips on the IEMs and it all sounds as I expect. I use them in the studio all the time. They are more comfortable than headphones and protect my ears better. As mentioned no click bleed, which is great.

I keep a pack of replacement foam tips in the size I like for when they get too grungy. I replaced the cable with a Shure a year or so ago.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:23 pm

BTW if you're looking for inexpensive generic earbuds, the Shure SE 215 is very good for being the cheap one in the product range. It's what we bundle with our IEM system rentals.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:35 pm

my new tips for the SE215 are sitting at my house, but unfortunately I had to go out of town for a family emergency so I won't get to try them for a couple weeks.
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:59 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:35 pm
my new tips for the SE215 are sitting at my house, but unfortunately I had to go out of town for a family emergency so I won't get to try them for a couple weeks.
Good luck with what ever is going on.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:20 pm

drumsound wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:59 am
digitaldrummer wrote:
thanks. My mother got a new rhythm assistant installed (aka pacemaker), but she's doing ok. under post-op restrictions so I am driving miss daisy for awhile. 8)
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:39 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:20 pm
drumsound wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:59 am
digitaldrummer wrote:
thanks. My mother got a new rhythm assistant installed (aka pacemaker), but she's doing ok. under post-op restrictions so I am driving miss daisy for awhile. 8)
"such a good boy"

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:56 am

still haven't really gotten a chance to gig with these, but I've gone through a bunch of "tips". The Shure silicone tips, which seems to be one-size, didn't fit me that well. I tried a couple other types from Amazon (which just has way too many and so many are junk). One did not fit the IEMs (too loose), another set was just deformed (not properly molded). Returned them all (Amazon, or probably the seller, must spend more on shipping than the product is actually worth). Finally got a set of "small" that fit in my ear canals, but I don't know if they will block out enough of the ambient sound. So that will be the test (in December when I have a gig that I will try to use them).
I also got the Behringer PM1 (IEM/headphone amp) which I know is cheap, but should be sufficient and I'll be wired, sitting down anyway.
Mike

Nevil-O-Bottom
audio school

Post by Nevil-O-Bottom » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:54 am

Foam tips on Shure SE215's can be iffy. I ordered triple-flange silicone tips for better fit. Also got a Behringer PM1 amp for drumming. Considering KZ in-ears for < $25.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:36 am

I needed to follow up on this. I learned something important. The Behringer PM1 is probably NOT the personal headphone monitor you want for IEMs. I'm sure it's fine for what it is intended for, but that's the rub. It is not a personal headphone monitor AMP. It is simply a passive attenuator. Even though it has a f%^#ing XLR on it (that is only there apparently so they can use the locking tab) it is not a balanced input and is meant to connect to a headphone output. in other words, turn your headphone amp up, connect this inline and it gives you a volume control (to turn it down). yeah, not what I needed. I took it to a gig (without testing - my bad) and it did not work - luckily I brought a floor monitor too.

But the good news is that I contacted my Sweetwater rep (even before he called me!) and they are taking the return (even though it was past 30 days - I had to pay for shipping back) and I'm exchanging it for the Behringer PM2. The PM2 is more $, but it of course has a headphone amplifier built in and is designed to take a line-level input -- which is what comes out of most mixers (including the X-Air 16 and 18 that I will be using this with). So I'm a little more confident that it will work properly - and I'll be sure to test it out before I use it - and I'll still bring the floor monitor just in case...
edit: and yes, the PM2 works just fine connected to the XR16 (although it's a bit noisy- white noise kinda noisy)
Mike