What is this heavy Gold Star Studios Glockenspiel sound?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

What is this heavy Gold Star Studios Glockenspiel sound?

Post by akpasta » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:02 am

Hey all,

I'm trying to identify this mallet/percussion sound used in a lot of 60s recordings, specifically all the Gold Star studio records in LA in the 60s and see if I can find something like it in Logic. It's sort of a deep, really metallic glockenspiel with a heavy attack, and a lot of reverb. There's plenty of mallet samples in Logic, but nothing that sounds quite like this. Can anyone give me any advice on what it might be?

An example can be found on this 1965 Cher song "dream baby" recorded at Gold Star - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6kAwh7abN4

Thanks!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: What is this heavy Gold Star Studios Glockenspiel sound?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:29 am

Sounds like tubular bells to me.

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:57 pm

Nice! You nailed it, that's the sound. BUT, the one in Logic has a weird modulation to it and doesn't sound quite right, it's like out of tune. I can't quite figure out how to change it round in the sampler plugin that it comes from. any ideas?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:16 am

akpasta wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:57 pm
Nice! You nailed it, that's the sound. BUT, the one in Logic has a weird modulation to it and doesn't sound quite right, it's like out of tune. I can't quite figure out how to change it round in the sampler plugin that it comes from. any ideas?
That's kind of the nature of the beast. Chimes/tubular bells have a decent amount of worble and crazy harmonics because the sound is literally bouncing around in a tube that was hit was a mallet.

It won't be as noticeable in context as it will on its own.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:34 pm

akpasta wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:57 pm
It likely has an effect on it. Logic Pro (Apple) love messing with things.

If it is their sampler, it does have an effects section, you just need to see on there if it has something on.

What is the preset name?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:55 pm

I have only stock sounds installed in Logic (including all producer packs and legacy sounds), and there's four different presets when I search the presets drawer:

Orchestra Tubular Bells (in /Legacy/Jam Pack Symphony Orchestra/Tuned Percussion). Dry, no modulation at all. Two aux sends to a wooden Room and a Church reverb.

Tubular Bells (in /Orchestral/Percussion/Tubular Bells). Comes with a Tape Delay and Chorus, plus those two aux sends.

Tubular Bells (in /Legacy/10 Orchestral/04 Tuned Percussion). Space Designer, plus two aux sends.

Tubular Bells (in /Legacy/Surround/09 Surround Orchestral/04 Surround Tuned Perc). Space Designer, Compressor, plus two aux sends.

All of these sound identical to me when set to stereo and all plugins and auxes turned off.

Then there's three Sculpture presets that modulate like hell.