SM7db? Wow!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The Scum
moves faders with mind

SM7db? Wow!

Post by The Scum » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:03 pm

I just saw the first ads for this thing - I like the idea.

It's an SM7b with an onboard preamp, licensed from Cloud.

Squarely hits a certain segment of the market, and costs less than an SM7 + Cloudlifter.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: SM7db? Wow!

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:54 am

yeah, I'm surprised it took them this long to do it. But they are probably selling a lot more SM7B's lately, and getting a lot of returns from people who don't understand how to use them properly, so it totally makes sense.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:14 am

It makes a lot of sense. The classic SM7B isn't really compatible with most common interfaces, in that there's just not enough gain available. Your bog-standard stereo USB interface is designed for modern condensor mics that have a hot output. Like the last thing any manufacturer wants to say is "it's great but you have to buy somebody else's add-on to really make it work".

And yeah, if you're anybody on YouTube who just sits in a gamer chair and yammers continuously, you *have* to have an SM7B.

Rêve Vague
audio school

Post by Rêve Vague » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:54 am

It's a great idea, and I'm surprised it took this long to come to the market.
I always recommend the Sm7b to friends but sometimes they have trouble wrapping their head around how much gain it actually needs.
I like things to be plug and play too, for instance when things don't have batteries included its a bummer. Hopefully this was alleviate a lot of problems for beginners...and it helps decide between the Cloudlifter/Fethead debate too.
Record an ENTIRE song with a SHURE Sm7b?
https://youtu.be/GeLlo64fU_g?si=sS5TyBOs7UgZzOdU

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:03 am

looks like it retained the same mount?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:47 am

I always cringe when I see SM7b recommended to new recordists. I understand “it’s a professional tool that works” but it is known to be sub-optimal for many home recording setups, and likely to be more frustrating, less useful, and less intuitive than many other affordable options. Even in a pro environment, it’s not my cup even when I want it to be.

So this variant makes sense - though I feel probably 10 years too late (it seems like many other competitive mics have gained a lot of ground in podcast setups that probably took a ton of potential business from shure).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:38 pm

To the extent a SM7b needs a lotta gain, IMO, you should use it with a pre that does that.

For vox, I like it with the ISA 1 or similar. I've used it with a cuppla different pres and if they have enuff gain, its sounds really good - or at least easily worked to.

But I do love the fet things- I have a pair of Cat Pipes and they allow me to use ribbons and such in my bright amp room/office, which I been doing the last year or so onna lotta stuff.

I don't like the SM7b so much on amps but do like the usual Shures and the 545SD what needs a Ampherol (sp?). I use that kinda a lot on amps.

But my fave Shure is the alleged Bono mic - the Beta 58.

I'd reco that to anyone, for usable anything - I bet it would sound better than when there was that '57 recording withit on everything, including kick, etc.

(better yet, I'd want some of both)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:28 pm

Shure sent me this mic months ago to try out. I've yet to get a chance to. Since my OG SM7b works great with my pres, I loaned the SM7db out to friends who are using sub par interfaces and all of them have loved it. It's getting more use in their hands, so I'm not missing out on anything. I am looking forward to seeing what kind of tones I can get with it hitting some of my preamps harder.

Can't go wrong with the Beta 58. That mic works for pretty much everything. I dig it on vocals and loud ass guitars.