Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Actually useful Amazon junk?

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:20 am

vvv wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:45 am

Anywhat, the 'zon has a good deal going right now on SE V7 mic's for US$100 + two XLR cables, or one XLR and a decent pop-stopper.

I have been using the mic for vocals in a living room electric jam and it has awesome rejection and ya gotta wanna make it feedback to get any. I recorded vocal tracks and then a loud amp and it was very usable, not as thick and with less bottom and low mids than a Beta 58, mebbe a little better clarity, and less proximity effect. It gets compared to the Senn E835, even the 935.
The V7 is pretty nice on snare drum too. It is more "condenser-like" but is indeed a dynamic mic. in other words more top and more low end (but then a lot of mics got that compared to a 57...). Compared it to a Telefunken M80 and it was similar in that aspect. I've got the fancy BFG (Billy Gibbons) model, but they all sound the same. A bandmate has one too and sometimes uses it for vocals (live). It's not bad, but I think a 58 might have a bit more output (and the Sennheiser 835 does too) but sounds pretty decent for live vocals.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:39 am

vvv wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:45 am
OT, but I gotta mention, the seeds I want next (I do have a desktop garden growing herbs) are like, basically non-existent in commercial product of the other kinda 'erb.
I"ve got a couple of friends that hook me up with "those" seeds each year. We try to have at least 2-3 plants for a yearly outdoor grow. Recreational MJ is legal here, but I like growing my own food and other various medicinal herbs/flowers.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:14 pm

dd: I really like a 57 on snare, it just works. 58, also, and sometimes I'll throw a old AKG on (same-same). I have a GT convertible and I recall that being reco'd by Mr. Seville, but haven't got round to it yet.

trodden: I'm jealous.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:34 am

vvv wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:14 pm
dd: I really like a 57 on snare, it just works.
try the V7 - you might not need as much EQ to make it "work". :lol:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:57 am

vvv wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:14 pm
dd: I really like a 57 on snare, it just works. 58, also, and sometimes I'll throw a old AKG on (same-same). I have a GT convertible and I recall that being reco'd by Mr. Seville, but haven't got round to it yet.

trodden: I'm jealous.
I use 57 on snare for live sound if i'm not using a Sennheiser e604/e904. I can't remember the last time I used a 57 in the studio on anything. I now have three Beyer 201's and those get used on all "57" applications.

vvv: yeah it's been trim/dry time the last two weeks. My house smells fucking wonderful.