Dangerous D-Box Users

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Dangerous D-Box Users

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:49 pm

Hey all.
Now that Dangerous has a new version of the D-Box, i'm seeing the first version priced in a manner that I can afford. As i'm slowly weaning myself off of heavy console use, these appeal to me.

Would buying the old version be a waste of money since tech has changed over the years? The new version has some great bells and whistles, but a steep price tag.

In praises or horror stories regarding using one of these?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Dangerous D-Box Users

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:19 am

If you find one in nice shape it should be fine, but I've seen some that have a lot of wear and tear on them - and if that faceplates are really worn (like some I've seen), then I'd imagine that the knobs have been turned many many times and not sure what that means for the controls (you could be sending it back for repair soon). Not sure if it uses analog pots or digital controls? anyway, I had considered these myself in the past but it has a lot of features I don't actually need or use...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Dangerous D-Box Users

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:04 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:19 am
If you find one in nice shape it should be fine, but I've seen some that have a lot of wear and tear on them - and if that faceplates are really worn (like some I've seen), then I'd imagine that the knobs have been turned many many times and not sure what that means for the controls (you could be sending it back for repair soon). Not sure if it uses analog pots or digital controls? anyway, I had considered these myself in the past but it has a lot of features I don't actually need or use...
Good point. Some of these are approaching 15-16 years old, and parts, like volume pots, do wear out!