Some space saver stuff for the studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Some space saver stuff for the studio

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:55 am

We had to move out of our spot over 2 years ago while they were doing foundation work on our building. We temporarily merged with a friend (Hugh Pool at Excello Recording) and didn't loose any work but it was a long time, longer than expected, to be out of our space. We had a lot of time to think about things that might help us with our limited real estate and I wanted to post about a couple of them.

Years ago we were loaned a pair of QUESTED HQ210 mains that came with some rough 2x4 stands. They are kind of fun speakers but honestly we don't use them that much. More like an end of session party thing or the occasional 'check the bottom' thing. When moved out of our space for the construction we gave them to our contractor guy to see if he could turn them into racks for stuff you don't mess with and 2 years and 4 months later we got them back from our guy and boy did they swallow up a lot of stuff. He made 'em look pretty nice too. Here's some pics.

The before

After build

And in use loaded up

Most of that stuff, like our convertors, headphone amp, console power supply and power amps never gets messed with. We also parked some old effects in there and they are all in the patch bay. It really helped the organization back there.

I also wanted to post about our 'cable stables'. Rubbermaid tubs that we hack sawed 'windows' in and out for parking excess cabling. This is cheap and easy and handy too.

Mostly we are really excited to be back in our spot in Greenpoint, Brooklyn

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: Some space saver stuff for the studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:42 am

That looks great man!! I'm a big fan of consolidating space... my home studios have often had a "submarine-living" feel. The roughneck tubs as "cable stables" is a really nice touch.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:19 am

alexdingley wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:42 am
That looks great man!! I'm a big fan of consolidating space... my home studios have often had a "submarine-living" feel. The roughneck tubs as "cable stables" is a really nice touch.
Yeah, dig that "cable stable" idea.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:33 am

Thanks guys. Cable Stable is really easy with a Dremmel, a hack saw or a jigsaw. We've been doing that for a while.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:25 am

drumsound wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:03 am
The place looks great!
Thanks.
Glad to have the Neotek going again!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:30 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:55 am
Years ago we were loaned a pair of QUESTED HQ210 mains that came with some rough 2x4 stands. They are kind of fun speakers but honestly we don't use them that much. More like an end of session party thing or the occasional 'check the bottom' thing. When moved out of our space for the construction we gave them to our contractor guy to see if he could turn them into racks for stuff you don't mess with ....
First, I wanna say I am glad you didn't have the speakers turned into racks. :twisted:

Second, I wanna say, it all looks great!

Third, I am just curious (so feel free not to answer), was there litigation involved or was it a friendly thing re the building getting worked on?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:36 am

vvv wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:30 am
roscoenyc wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:55 am
Years ago we were loaned a pair of QUESTED HQ210 mains that came with some rough 2x4 stands. They are kind of fun speakers but honestly we don't use them that much. More like an end of session party thing or the occasional 'check the bottom' thing. When moved out of our space for the construction we gave them to our contractor guy to see if he could turn them into racks for stuff you don't mess with ....
First, I wanna say I am glad you didn't have the speakers turned into racks. :twisted:

Second, I wanna say, it all looks great!

Third, I am just curious (so feel free not to answer), was there litigation involved or was it a friendly thing re the building getting worked on?
Thanks @vvv,
There was no litigation. It took much, much longer than what we were told initially but we had merged with Hugh at Excello upstairs in the same building complex so we never lost any work. We brought our computer, the Burl setup, and a greatest hits of compressors and guitar stuff up there. It all worked out. Our landlord is a super good guy. When they built our room back we got more soundproofing, better windows, a floated floor and a mini split HVAC rig. We're really happy to be back in our space.
We have laughed quite a few times about "build back better" but that's what we did.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:59 pm

Congrats!

It does look so very cool.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:08 pm

Great looking studio, and great ideas.
Life goal: get enough D'Addario points to get that stool.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:00 pm

Very cool space! Glad you're back "home".

One little niggle about putting excess cable together in a tub - great idea, but don't put any line-lump power supplies in there, those things radiate lots of noise.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:33 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:00 pm
Very cool space! Glad you're back "home".

One little niggle about putting excess cable together in a tub - great idea, but don't put any line-lump power supplies in there, those things radiate lots of noise.
Thanks.
Our whole joint runs on balanced power and we took extra care routing all AC this time around.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:39 pm

space saver stuff
I'm sure there's room for some extra 500 modules in those cargo shorts, too! :P

Cable stables is a genius move.
One which I'll be borrowing.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:40 pm

And two H3000's in the
stuff you don't mess with
Category?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:11 am

The colors look quite like my place- off white walls, red absorbers/diffusers and some wood. Looks really cozy!
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.