amps vs. simulators

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: amps vs. simulators

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:55 pm

The UAD B-15N can be nice on some DI'd bass tracks (although it's really the Brainworx B-15N and they sound the same in my experience - PA version is just cheaper)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:34 pm

Next issue of Tape Op has a long review of the UAFX Guitar Pedals. The amp/speaker simulating stuff seems pretty cool, and I could see building a DI gtr recording rig with these boxes for sure. I love moving air wit am amp and putting up mics, but there are lots of times I'd love to have the sound even more controllable or closer to the listener.
PS: I dig the LA-2A and 1176 pedals a lot! Never had that kind of control before.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:48 am

these are perfect for smaller tours or overseas tours where you can't fly with much due to costs and don't want to rent backline (expensive) and can travel in smaller vehicles (save money). Bass has always been able to just DI and it's fine, use monitors (venue provides) or In Ears. Same with keyboards/synths, no amp needed. Guitar was always the tough one, they needed the amp and that takes up space (compare to just 2 small Radial JDI for Keys and Bass) but i see this as bridging that gap, making it ok to just DI for guitar as well, they just rock the pedalboard. You could do a whole tour with the only thing on stage drums and house monitors. easy load in/out and everyone on in-ears. the van wouldn't even be packed tight!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:02 am

FWIW, while I feel I can rock - the band can rock 0- with AIB's, it still ain't the same rock as with hot amps.

IT

JUST

AIN'T.

But we are getting some good results.

Also FWIW, we are using a buncha different stuff, T-21, Catalinbread, cab sims (Omnicab, at the mo'), Lovepedal as "amps"

And we are putting pedals in front.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:21 am

Rush did their last few tours with only IEMs and amp sims. The only thing on stage was the band, a few drums, and the chicken rotisseries. it sounded great when I saw them (and that was several years ago).
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:19 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:21 am
... and the chicken rotisseries.
Say what?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:11 am

Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:12 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:21 am
Rush did their last few tours with only IEMs and amp sims. The only thing on stage was the band, a few drums, and the chicken rotisseries. it sounded great when I saw them (and that was several years ago).
Didn't Alex Lifeson still use amps? I thought it was just Geddy's side with the rotisserie or laundry machines.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:34 am

drumsound wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:12 am
Didn't Alex Lifeson still use amps? I thought it was just Geddy's side with the rotisserie or laundry machines.
At some point Alex even went IEM, and had some steampunk styled "amps" which might have still contained a speaker or two.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:41 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:11 am
:worthy:

:high:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:55 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:34 pm
Next issue of Tape Op has a long review of the UAFX Guitar Pedals. The amp/speaker simulating stuff seems pretty cool, and I could see building a DI gtr recording rig with these boxes for sure. I love moving air wit am amp and putting up mics, but there are lots of times I'd love to have the sound even more controllable or closer to the listener.
PS: I dig the LA-2A and 1176 pedals a lot! Never had that kind of control before.
I haven't tried the UA guitar pedals yet but I bet that they may perform even better than the plugins which can be hard to dial in gain wise on your DAW.

UA's OX Box is really only a half simulator. Simulates the cabinet, speaker, microphone and room. Those things sound amazing to me. You are using your amp and it really sounds like Your Amp. A bit too bulky to take on a gig. Over the years I've always been able to dial in a good sound at home with some kind of simulator but often had a nagging thing in the back of my mind like "I may have to re-do this at the studio with a real rig'. That feeling has never visited me again in the 4 years of using the OX Box at home with my amps. I liked it so much that I bought another OX Box for the studio too.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:38 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:48 am
these are perfect for smaller tours or overseas tours where you can't fly with much due to costs and don't want to rent backline (expensive) and can travel in smaller vehicles (save money). Bass has always been able to just DI and it's fine, use monitors (venue provides) or In Ears. Same with keyboards/synths, no amp needed. Guitar was always the tough one, they needed the amp and that takes up space (compare to just 2 small Radial JDI for Keys and Bass) but i see this as bridging that gap, making it ok to just DI for guitar as well, they just rock the pedalboard. You could do a whole tour with the only thing on stage drums and house monitors. easy load in/out and everyone on in-ears. the van wouldn't even be packed tight!
This right here! And I wouldn't have snapped my arm in half in Paris if I wasn't loading out gear up a long staircase covered in slippery beer/water/sweat.

That said, if I had to get my arm snapped in half, i'm glad it happened in Paris rather than Tacoma, WA. Ambulance ride, emergency room, plus second hospital for surgery only cost me 1,600 euros!!! amazing.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:01 am

trodden wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:38 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:48 am
This right here! And I wouldn't have snapped my arm in half in Paris if I wasn't loading out gear up a long staircase covered in slippery beer/water/sweat.

That said, if I had to get my arm snapped in half, i'm glad it happened in Paris rather than Tacoma, WA. Ambulance ride, emergency room, plus second hospital for surgery only cost me 1,600 euros!!! amazing.
IMG_2193.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG (87.28 KiB) Viewed 52740 times
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG (92.15 KiB) Viewed 52740 times
IMG_2201.JPG
IMG_2201.JPG (168.55 KiB) Viewed 52740 times
IMG_6474.JPG
IMG_6474.JPG (87.73 KiB) Viewed 52740 times

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:09 pm

Yikes! That looks *very* painful. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I hope your arm doesn't have that bend in it now!