best way to send a video feed of DAW to iso booth

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

best way to send a video feed of DAW to iso booth

Post by joninc » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:40 pm

this is a bit of a weird one but lately it has been suggested that it is sometimes helpful to have a visual of the audio track you are trying to perform in sync with (like when trying to sing harmonies to an existing vocal track) and I get that and am wondering what the best way to do that is...
I am running Cubase Pro12 on a windows 10 tower...

I guess I could use the 2nd video port of my video card and send a hard line to a monitor in the other room - but I do use 2 monitors so that would be a little finicky and I'm curious if there are any better options for a wireless transmission to a tablet or something else?

I've never used bluetooth in the studio and don't know how to transmit it from a PC to a monitor or tablet...

Looking for creative and cost effective solutions :)
the new rules : there are no rules

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Re: best way to send a video feed of DAW to iso booth

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:08 pm

I know this is a diff ecosystem but Apple does a pretty easy Screen Share thing. I think it's usually Screen Mirroring or "casting" on PC.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:08 am

Windows can do that too, using "remote desktop", or you can get something like TeamViewer that will do it over a network/wifi connection. Or if you don't want to do that, and depending on how far away it is, they make some OK USB to VGA or HDMI adapters, but you'd have to see how they would work with a USB extension cable.

But they also make screens/video monitors (aka wireless display) that have wifi built-in, and that would probably be the easiest solution (assuming you have wifi in your studio). that works on Windows 10 and 11. It might work with a tablet, but that tablet would have to work as a "wireless display" and I don't think most do that. But some TVs do support "casting" (as Larry mentioned) and maybe a tablet could do that? Usually I've only seen a tablet as the one pushing (as opposed to receiving the "cast")

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... %20to%20it.

IME, it's probably cheaper and easier to just have the vocalist practice it and do multiple takes until they get it right -- or use something like Vocalign if they can't lol.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:20 am

I think you can just buy cheap HDMI splitters on eBay.

True, HDMI is a locked-down consumer format which isn't supposed to splittable, but people I know in the live event business do it anyway.