Daking service

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Daking service

Post by randrohe » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:42 pm

Hello all,
I just wanted to post my recent experience with their company and customer service.

I sent a mic pre iv in for service, and to my surprise, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Great news there!
From the moment I contacted them, I immediately was in touch with a tech via email who asked all the right questions, but I couldn’t get past my “issue”, so I sent it in for service.

Skip Burrow was the tech who spent 2 days stress testing it on his bench, sent updates and photos of test results, and wasn’t able to find any problems whatsoever, 100% clean bill of health.
As he said, “I was trying to break it so I could fix it”!

Long story short, he called me at a pre scheduled time of my convenience, talked for close to an hour, and provided so much practical and useful information, I felt like I should have been paying for that service alone.
This is a man with a passion and knowledge that was mostly over my head, but really inspiring.

I just wanted to share what an incredible experience it was to deal with Daking.
Oh, and since there was no problem whatsoever with the unit, there was NO CHARGE although I had purchased this unit used several years ago.
I actually feel proud just being the owner of such a quality piece whose company wholeheartedly stands behind their products.

Oh yeah, Daking mic pre design absolutely loves ribbon mics, as do I..

Happy recording!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Daking service

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:34 am

Always nice to get great service.

What did the problem turn out to be?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:53 am

still missing that "like" button over here on TOMB 8)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

cobascis
audio school

Post by cobascis » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:52 pm

I had a similar experience when I emailed Daking recently about some noise issues with my Mic Pre One. It ended up being a cabling issue and some interference from another power supply on my end. Daking provided in depth troubleshooting and spent a lot of time coaching me through the situation even after we confirmed it wasn't the fault of their (Excellent) preamp. I heard back from them within an hour of sending them an email. Unparalleled service.

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:52 pm

The issue was that I had the power supply laying on a Adcom power amp in conjunction with a channel that wasn’t loaded by a mic which also had a compressor on it.
When the level was cranked, I was experiencing hum in channel four..
And now I know!

And yeah, the response time was within an hour after I emailed them, and Geoff was also cc in the emails.
Very impressive to say the least..

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:20 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:53 am
still missing that "like" button over here on TOMB 8)
Double Ditto on that!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:34 am

The best.

I've sent emails to Geoff directly and gotten a phone call within the hour more than once. He is generous with his time and happy to explain things and answer questions. He's also spent time on the phone with my local tech to help him fix one of my mic pre / eq's when the tech was stumped, and helped source the needed parts. More recently he sent me 5 new switches for one of my older FETII's (that I bought used) free of charge to install myself, and when he realized he sent me the wrong ones he called from out of town, had me send it to where he was at the time, installed the switches and sent it back in record time.

Amazing. Quite literally the best customer service I've ever experienced. Most others don't come close.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:30 pm

Geoff is a friend of mine, so I'm biased, but I'm glad to hear he treats people right. He knows, as a few others do, that his gear working proper out in the field is 10x better than broken gear not being used! I've had some older preamps for ages now, and never an issue!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:18 am

Thats the reason i usually buy from smaller companies, they are proud of their products and act accordingly.
Like button pressed, like, an air-like-button.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.