Tell us about your 2023 wrap-up

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Tell us about your 2023 wrap-up

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:14 am

I'm glad to hear some had good years (post-pandemic) and I do hope that everyone has an even better 2024 and you get to do the things you want to do.

There is stuff still going around, but it seems less scary now? I had not seen many shows mice elf (except behind bands, from the drum seat), but did finally get out to a couple this year (the first one we went to in '22 resulted in everyone getting covid... but it was my wife's second cousin, so we kinda had to go, and we had light cases).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:44 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:13 am
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:07 am
trodden wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:20 pm
I'd much rather be at home with my wife and our cat.
Same. We have very little desire to go out and see shows any more, I think we maybe saw one show all last year, and we left early.

Anyway I haven't added anything up yet, but I'm pretty sure last year was my best ever, if not it was very close, and definitely better than 2022. Just hoping to stay busy this year!
Interesting. I saw a lot of great shows this year.
I'm with you Recycled Brains. I saw a lot of shows as well. I'm trying to see even more, Covid taught me how much value art/music has in my life and i don't want to lose that. I also am being smarter about the shows i'm going to, by trying to avoid Ticketmaster if i can. There's a local venue that has their own ticket platform and it's a 500 capacity room so not small, they book great shows, only 20 bucks advance, 25 bucks day of show. i attend there when i can, great business, and i am all about supporting someone who isn't gouging me.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:35 am

Did no engineering work. Had a hard time finding time and inspiration to write. Year two of not hearing one word from my main music partner from the 2010s (haven’t been able to reach him either, and none of my mutuals can reach him. He’s definitely alive because he goes on tour and such with his real band).

Got divorced, ended up selling off some gear that wasn’t getting used to offset some of that.

Found out just before Christmas that my main music partner from the mid 00s (who I was in talks with to do stuff) passed unexpectedly at 44 (still don’t know why, his wife is being vague and trying to raise money for a private autopsy).

Also found out a former client / friend passed away in April, but wasn’t notified. That relationship fizzed out a few years ago anyway, but still a downer.

So that sucks.

Did get a new song from a mutual to play on the other day, so there’s that. Have a new non musical partner that seems to be going well (met in May). Going to PR next month, planning a trip after that. Got a few new keyboards the other day to jam on.

Saw a few noteworthy bigger shows in 2023, but our small club got destroyed by a fire engine hitting another vehicle, and no one has stepped in to replace it, so I feel like we will miss some smaller shows due to that gap.

Sorry to be a Debby downer, I’m trying to look on the positive spectrum of things though.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:11 am

I changed day jobs (contracting, I/T or whatever the kids call it now) in July, left a ton of stress behind, for a w2 gig at a better rate. It was fully work at home for the first 3 or 4 months, but now switching to 3 days a week in Chicago (a mild PITA to get to).

No music gigs for 4 years now, I should find another band, but I'm even less enthused about long drives for rehearsals or gigs than I was before.

I got a new laptop, and a billion plug ins in 2023, I'm going to try to do more recording and songwriting, besides the RPM Challenge we've been doing for the last 16 years or so.

I think the only live "show" I saw was Cheap Trick.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:59 am

I'm terrible at doing this. I know a few things were finished and released (one released on Jan 1). Several little 1-3 song projects. A few EPs from soup to nuts. A few clients tracked with me and mixed on their own. A couple where I tracked basics and the rest was finished elsewhere. One record by a band that I am a member of is started... Another song by the band I've been in forever that only works when the guitar player comes to town. I can't remember if the audiobook was last January or not. Taught 2 students a semester of Intro to recording. Another project with a music business class, which lead to 2 other projects.

A little reviewing for Tape Op, a conference in St Louis.

Basically, somehow, keeping the joint open.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:00 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:04 pm
trodden wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:19 pm
Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:52 pm
Less of everything in general, but on the upside a rather significant health issue is finally diagnosed and being treated.
I hope for the best for you in regards to this.
Thank you! Let's just say that thanks to very modern science it's really not bad at all, versus the "possibly very bad" of only a decade ago.
I'm glad to see this. I hope it all goes smoothly.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:36 pm

kslight wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:35 am
Also found out a former client / friend passed away in April, but wasn’t notified. That relationship fizzed out a few years ago anyway, but still a downer.
So that sucks.

Saw a few noteworthy bigger shows in 2023, but our small club got destroyed by a fire engine hitting another vehicle, and no one has stepped in to replace it, so I feel like we will miss some smaller shows due to that gap.

Sorry to be a Debby downer, I’m trying to look on the positive spectrum of things though.
I hear you. I lost some good people this year. Fuck cancer and fuck depression. Nothing Debby Downer about any of your hurdles man. We're all in this shit mix and it's definitely not all burritos and free drugs all the time, so don't feel like you have to pretend it was/is.

Are you referring to the "Hurricane"? or I guess the "Riot Room" which it was named after I left KC?

Antler23
pluggin' in mics

Post by Antler23 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:02 pm

2023? That was years ago!

I've spent all of 2024 in my new role of 24/7 caretaker for my elderly dad. He's at home, in hospice. I knew I'd have to be here, but was still surprised that January 1st was the day I'd move back in with my dad.

2023 wasn't too bad, all considered. I mastered my "career boosting" double album with Oz Fritz. The album came out in Sept., with many friends and musical heroes on board. My career wasn't much boosted, but I like how the album turned out. With my dad's health worsening, touring plans were cancelled. I had to drop gigs in England, Ireland, Berlin and Estonia. Instead, I played regionally and built a basement studio on my wife's farm with the guy who'd done Oz's place. My basement is basic... it's more about instruments and vibe than specific gear. It's just roomy enough for tracking with real actual humans, and I managed to do basics for a (wait, is this a joke?) reggae album plus two songs for a single on a Spanish label. I've had slow but steady work doing vocals and/or writing for others via SoundBetter. So, yeah... 2023 could've gone other ways, in some ways, but it went how it wanted.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:32 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:05 am
and judging by the number of Bandcamp links you posted, I'd say you completed another half million songs this year! :lol:
I like all aspects of what I consider an art form, me, from writing to playing to arranging to recording to mixing, mastering, sequencing, and even making my shite "fartwerk". And I like the technical/gear stuff from mic's to axes to routing, repair and set-ups and even maintenance.

I truly am a weirdo, see.

trodden wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:36 pm
burritos and free drugs
Someone needs to write that song. :high:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:50 pm

vvv wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:32 pm
trodden wrote:
burritos and free drugs
Someone needs to write that song. :high:
Life could be so good.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:44 pm

I'll start, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=91047
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:49 pm

Antler23 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:02 pm
I've spent all of 2024 in my new role of 24/7 caretaker for my elderly dad. He's at home, in hospice. I knew I'd have to be here, but was still surprised that January 1st was the day I'd move back in with my dad.
Hospice, that's tough. :( We're helping our dad move into an "independent living" place end of the month, luckily he wants to do it and is excited to go. But yeah, definitely can see the clock is going to run out in the next few years.

Antler23
pluggin' in mics

Post by Antler23 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:32 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:49 pm
Antler23 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:02 pm
Hospice, that's tough. :( We're helping our dad move into an "independent living" place end of the month, luckily he wants to do it and is excited to go. But yeah, definitely can see the clock is going to run out in the next few years.
If I may quote myself, "Elder care is the new sex, drugs and rock and roll."

Glad your dad is open to going. That's huge. My dad seems also to be accepting that a care home might be in the cards. He has good days, like yesterday, where all the care he's getting means less stress on his heart. He's much more himself, on the phone with friends for long chats etc. Other days, he's falling asleep in his wheelchair every 10 minutes. He had 3 falls and a toilet accident last week (hence my rushing over to stay...), which is what opened up the care home conversation.

I'd ordered a Rode NT4 to try out as a drum OH mic, but for now, at dad's, I'm using it to record a very quiet batch of new songs. I'm at low volume, always keeping an ear out to make sure dad's ok in the other room. Meanwhile, he's blasting the TV and having coughing fits. In stereo! The demos are turning out quite strange in their yin/yang way.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:33 am

trodden wrote:
kslight wrote:
So that sucks.

I hear you. I lost some good people this year. Fuck cancer and fuck depression. Nothing Debby Downer about any of your hurdles man. We're all in this shit mix and it's definitely not all burritos and free drugs all the time, so don't feel like you have to pretend it was/is.

Are you referring to the "Hurricane"? or I guess the "Riot Room" which it was named after I left KC?

Thanks. Yes, the riot room as it was known in my tenure in KC. Still they attracted the bands that I gravitate towards (never been a big fan of attending giant concerts).

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:15 am

kslight wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:33 am
trodden wrote:
kslight wrote:
So that sucks.

Thanks. Yes, the riot room as it was known in my tenure in KC. Still they attracted the bands that I gravitate towards (never been a big fan of attending giant concerts).
Saw many shows at the Hurricane in the 90's.
A few at The Grand Emporium.
Davey's Stage Coach is gone as well right?