I suspect you need a hi pass filter.
noted- thanks karl
"this life is a kind of sowing, the harvest is not here"
-vincent van gogh

E-money
pushin' record

Re: Quirky Mastering Situation

Post by E-money » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:15 pm

It sounds like it may be a limitation of the original mix (you did describe it as lo fi and that you didn't know what you were doing at the time).
Do you have the ability to remix? Did you ask the ME for feedback on the mix you sent him? If you have the ability to remix, ask him what the biggest issue with the original mix is. If not, maybe look for a few MEs that offer a free sample of their work and compare their samples on your playback system and see if they are better able to deal with the issue.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:38 pm

+1 on Karl's suggestion. I wonder if YouTube has a built in HPF that prevents your speaker from overloading the way your master seems to be.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:34 pm

Please find a way to listen to the masters after actually downloading them and playing them back over something approximating a decent stereo system. This quote makes me crazy: "I don’t know why you think someone needs a high end monitor system to make and listen to music." Because you need to know what's actually going on with your music before releasing it? Sure, I used to make fucked up music and distribute on cassettes after mixing on an '80s home stereo, but I wasn't putting so many tech variables in my own way. And I wasn't comparing it to ANY commercially-released music in any way. Hell, I don't trust my own mixes in front of $15,000 worth of monitoring. Over Bluetooth or in a car? This is just so backwards to me.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 am

Colorblind wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:38 pm
+1 on Karl's suggestion. I wonder if YouTube has a built in HPF that prevents your speaker from overloading the way your master seems to be.
The YouTube conversion does have filtering, ant it probably is on both ends of the spectrum, lowering the extreme low and high frequencies in order that the CODEC does not get wonky and distorts the material. Just like MP3 CODECS.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:20 am

Thinking about this more. Every "full range" little tiny speaker is going to have [bass] frequencies (and combos) that freak out its algorithm. I'm looking at you Bose. Is there other shit that sounds like shit in the same way on that speaker?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.