What preamps are y'all liking these days?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Re: What preamps are y'all liking these days?

Post by T-rex » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:28 pm

Now that it’s sold I can talk about it without seeming like I was trying to hype it, but the Burl preamps are gorgeous.

I had a B1 and a B1D. I have interface pres that are clean so I let the B1 go but the B1D is just so good sounding on everything. Just a tad darker and thicker sounding than the B1 but I really like the fact that you can run it clean and punchy with less drive on it or you can drive the hell out of it and really change the tone.

That germanium looks cool as hell!

The copper hairball audio sound like a really good buy for the price. I see those on reverb all
Day long for around $300.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 am

T-rex wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:28 pm
Now that it’s sold I can talk about it without seeming like I was trying to hype it, but the Burl preamps are gorgeous.

I had a B1 and a B1D. I have interface pres that are clean so I let the B1 go but the B1D is just so good sounding on everything. Just a tad darker and thicker sounding than the B1 but I really like the fact that you can run it clean and punchy with less drive on it or you can drive the hell out of it and really change the tone.

The copper hairball audio sound like a really good buy for the price. I see those on reverb all
The Copper is really great, and not just for the price. I've used em along side a desk full of vintage 1073/1066's and I bet in a blind test you wouldn't be able to pick one or the other out. All of the HB stuff is top notch. Lola rules too, especially with the 512 DOA's that the Copper also uses in lieu of the 990s.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:40 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 am
The Copper is really great, and not just for the price. I've used em along side a desk full of vintage 1073/1066's and I bet in a blind test you wouldn't be able to pick one or the other out. All of the HB stuff is top notch. Lola rules too, especially with the 512 DOA's that the Copper also uses in lieu of the 990s.
That is a strong endorsement! Now I’m gonna have to check them out. My wallet may never forgive you. I built two of the original 1176 kit they did, back in the day and they were great. Great communication, nice people and the comps sounded great.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 am

T-rex wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:28 pm

I love my pair of Burl B1d's. Amazing preamps, along with the Coppers.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:07 am

The Burl B1D is ridiculous. I’d have a pair for sure if I could afford them. I sold the B1 to cover my monitors and because I really like to have pairs. Based on this thread I’m thinking of building a Copper and then a Lola and going from there.

Anyone here used the TG2 mic pre? I’ve wanted one ever since I found out Jerry Finn loved them so much (Superdrag’s Head Trip In Every Key is my holy grail of guitar sounds and just overall tonality) but they are so pricey. I’ve looked at 500 series before but never pulled the trigger and probably won’t anytime soon.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:24 pm

The only downside to 500 series is that you will quickly develop "empty slot syndrome". And it has only one cure.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 pm

T-rex wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:40 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 am
That is a strong endorsement! Now I’m gonna have to check them out. My wallet may never forgive you. I built two of the original 1176 kit they did, back in the day and they were great. Great communication, nice people and the comps sounded great.
Fun build too. Their instructions are really good. I just built a pair of Bronze, so now I have a pair each of lola, copper, bronze. Blue Stripe is on deck. Just got an assembled FET 500 too. so far so good. Great company.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 pm

Listening to the copper audio samples on Hairball’s site and I’m definitely going to build one. I used to have a 7th Circle N72 that I still miss. BUT while comparing I really fell in love with the Lola sound. I’ve always wanted a pair of super clean Hardy type pres so I’m gonna build one of those first.

What op amps are you all using? I dig the mid forwardness of the 512, but I think I prefer the top and on the 990s. Didn’t know if anyone had compared them?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:36 am

I have the standard BA512 opamp in my Coppers, and the stepped input (but variable output)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:21 am

T-rex wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 pm
Listening to the copper audio samples on Hairball’s site and I’m definitely going to build one. I used to have a 7th Circle N72 that I still miss. BUT while comparing I really fell in love with the Lola sound. I’ve always wanted a pair of super clean Hardy type pres so I’m gonna build one of those first.

What op amps are you all using? I dig the mid forwardness of the 512, but I think I prefer the top and on the 990s. Didn’t know if anyone had compared them?
I have 2 Lola's and 2 pairs each of both opamps. I've done some A/B'ing. I prefer the 512 because it's a hair softer on top than the 990 and I never want to push the 990s hard ,whereas that is not the case with the 512's. BUT, you can't go wrong. Will rule either way.

I use them on mix buss a lot. They're pretty similar to the copper (with the 512), but with like an extra octave of low end.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:29 am

Awesome, thanks! That great that you actually have used both and compared. Appreciate the feedback.