How to structure a multi-part session

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

How to structure a multi-part session

Post by jmann » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:54 pm

If you have a session that will occur on multiple, non-consecutive days*, what's your favorite way to work?

1. Try to get a lot of the basic tracks done on Day 1, then overdubs and vocals at different times?
2. Record one song at a time, moving from full band takes to overdubs, vocals, etc.?

One advantage to #1 would be getting the drums in phase and sounding good on Day 1 and not having to worry so much about it at the end of the session. But last time I did this, it felt like the urgency of each song was diminshed, and made the overdubs and subsequent decision-making take longer.

*I'll be recording, as usual, in someone else's space, FWIW.

vvv
zen recordist

Re: How to structure a multi-part session

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:55 pm

I have and do it both ways, but I still vote number 1, noting that setup, done correctly, is as time-consuming as anything else, but more efficient when used until it's complete.

And, "in someone else's space" creates its own issues, so try and minimize that by finishing with each setup, ASAP.

I'll also note that #1 lends a certain consistency ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:02 am

If you have the option to leave things set up then doing full songs from start to finish is a great way to work but setting up and tearing down each session is a real time suck.
If "someone else's space" means your paying a day rate or rental then it's also going to eat up budget.

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:32 am

Let me clarify: someone else's space is the band's practice space. So it doesn't come with a major price tag.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:36 am

when it's at my place, I usually do it 2 ways...

1. you have a great, well-rehearsed band, so we setup and record as many song basics as we can on day1 (or more if needed and consecutive days are available). Then schedule additional time for overdubs if needed (usually vocals, horns, more guitars, etc).
2. you don't have a band, or only have a basic arrangement and maybe haven't figured out all the parts yet -- in this case we start with a click and put down a scratch arrangement (that is usually 90% there) and then build up with overdubs. this is great if you are feeling out the sound and want to try different ideas.

I have done both ways a lot with good success. sometimes overdubs are even done at home studios and sent in (although I try to encourage doing it at my studio where I usually have a better sounding room and gear)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:59 am

It's more efficient and budget conscious to spend time setting up and then working on getting basics for multiple songs. As you mentioned, getting phase relationships and tones for drums is quite time consuming. And learning the space as you go will have its own bit of challenge. Ultimately, you may have to do it the other way, and that sometimes is interesting, because each sound might have slightly different sounds and mindsets.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:27 am

I find number 2 to be the most enjoyable. it helps with keeping things present and in the moment song wise. Once the full bands takes are done, it acts as a reset/relax/break for everyone because you round robin the vocals/overdubs. also you get an early win, 1 song is in the can, which builds confidence and momentum.

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:41 am

All these perspectives are helpful, guys. Thank you!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:07 pm

When I do recordings of bands, which are like this, multi day, I always always always spend the first day(s) getting the recording sounds.

Drums first if possible, followed by the basic bass, rhythm guitar, keyboards, and at least a scratch vocal. Depending on their budget and time, I try to nail the drum sounds with as much time as possible, because redoing the drums is usually a no no budget wise. So I spend at least 1/2 day on them, until they sound as close to the finished record as possible. Phase issues, EQ / compression on a pair of additional tracks, etc. Get it as close as possible to the final sound. The other instruments are usually a lot easier to get the sounds into the DAW.

If possible, we discuss what the overdub situation will look like: Minimal (Jazz or Classical), or many, like in prog rock / electronica? If possible, we set up the additional recording stations / mics in advance, so moving from basic tracking to overdubs can be done either on a per song basis, or at the end of the basic tracking.

I always prefer doing the overdubs as soon as the basics are done, because the song is fresh in the musos' minds and their energy is hopefully matching the song as well.

Almost always, the singer does the final vocals at the end, but I always want to have a vocal mic set up all the time, in case they nail it at any point during the production.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:53 pm

Very helpful, Nick. When you say "additional tracks", do you mean you're adding some compression/eq to kick and snare, or setting up a drum bus?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:38 am

jmann wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:53 pm
Very helpful, Nick. When you say "additional tracks", do you mean you're adding some compression/eq to kick and snare, or setting up a drum bus?
I sometimes will create a group buss, send a submix of the drumkit, and compress and EQ it, and record it. Especially if there is an exotic or rare compressor in the studio. Then I mix that in in parallel with the drum tracks. It can add more good ambience / character to the song. And sometimes inspire the band a bit.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.