Transducer use?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Artifacts
audio school

Transducer use?

Post by Artifacts » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:36 pm

I found this in a box of things I inherited from a friend a while ago. I'm assuming it's a transducer but the xlr connector is female so he must have used it as some kind of a speaker? Could I use this as a sub kick or a weird stick on drum mic? Could I hook it up with a male to male xlr adaptor? I'd need to purchase that before I could start experimenting which is why I am asking.
Thanks

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: Transducer use?

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:53 pm

I inherited from a friend a while ago. I'm assuming it's a transducer but the xlr connector is female so he must have used it as some kind of a speaker?
Possibly. Transducers can generally be used to transmit or receive. Typically a spring reverb will a transducer at both the sending and receiving ends. And the Cooper Time Cube used dynamic mics as both speaker and microphone.
Could I use this as a weird stick on drum mic? Could I hook it up with a male to male xlr adapter?
I would say yes and yes. XLR barrels are cheap enough on ebay that I don't see any reason not to try it. Sub kick might not work, but it ought to function as a contact mic at the very least. If it doesn't work, you'll likely have learned a few useful things through your experimentation.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:16 am

I agree with Winky. Looks like the larger one was at one time connected (or was intended to be) to a plate (or some other device) sending the signal into it, and the smaller one was possibly going to be used to receive the signal. but you can easily replace the connectors or use an adapter and try it anyway you want. YMMV of course.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:14 am

Or use it azza speaker.

It can't sound worse than a Alexa, etc.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:43 pm

Might be one of those things you stick to a pane of glass or that old style paneling to turn it into a speaker.

Artifacts
audio school

Post by Artifacts » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:09 am

Thanks for all of your replies. I'll get a male to male xlr adapter to try using it as a mic, and I'll report back.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:28 pm

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:29 am

"exiter speaker" - you fix it to a window pane or a plate reverb and it shakes the thing - the other looks like a piezo contact mic to me and if you fix both to a plate you have a DIY plate reverb.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.