Video Overdubbing Software

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Video Overdubbing Software

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:11 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know of any software that will easily load an MP4 video file and let me add a few passes of audio to it in real time? Could be simply that functionality, or more. I'm willing to pay up to $100 or so.

Windows [7] sic.

Thanks,

ck
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: Video Overdubbing Software

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:51 pm

Maybe look at the free version of DaVinci Resolve? It looks like the "Fairlight" section allows real-time audio recording for video. I'm not totally sure I understood what you're looking for, but it might do the trick, and it's free. It will tax an older system though.

jacksaturn
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jacksaturn » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:03 pm

How about Audacity? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMVUAMT7vmQ

If you don't need to re-export a video file once you've completed your overdubs, this should work for your purposes, and you'd have the option of exporting each of your passes as a separate audio file.

Jack
Recursive Delete Audio/Visual
Huntsville, AL
https://recdel.com/

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:06 am

if you have Windows 11, then Microsquish makes you use Clip Champ https://clipchamp.com/en/

I've used it for editing a few videos (it's not too difficult to learn) and you can add/remove audio tracks, although I've never actually done that (at least not on purpose). And (as The Mothers said ) it's absolutely free! (unless you need the premium features - I didn't need 4K video for my use)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:02 am

You can play and edit videos in Reaper just like audio.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:57 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:02 am
You can play and edit videos in Reaper just like audio.
I fiddled with Reaper. Couldn't get it to work for this. I bought a license right before I gave up on general purpose computers for recording and bought an Alesis HD24XR. So it would be great to use it for this. Do I need a codec or something? I tried dragging a video onto the timeline, but only the [blank] audio track showed up. No window to watch the video while I lay down audio.
Carl Keil

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:08 am

I didn't even know that Reaper could do that (until it was posted here). I saw something that said for a Windows system, you need VLC installed as well. Might be worth a shot? https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:20 am

Yeah you need VLC installed. Just look on youtube, there's a couple vids that show you what to do to get it up and running, it's simple. And you can edit the video track just like audio, apply effects, etc. If your video needs are relatively simple you can probably do everything you need right in Reaper.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:06 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:20 am
Yeah you need VLC installed. Just look on youtube, there's a couple vids that show you what to do to get it up and running, it's simple. And you can edit the video track just like audio, apply effects, etc. If your video needs are relatively simple you can probably do everything you need right in Reaper.
Thank you. I've got it working and I think I understand the workflow. I had the 32 bit version of VLC installed and the 64 bit version of Reaper. The reaper folks say that have to match and after I installed 64 bit vlc it just worked.

Thanks again, everyone.
Carl Keil

Nevil-O-Bottom
audio school

Post by Nevil-O-Bottom » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:20 pm

I had the same need to add audio to my videos and after trying a few options, I liked using Movavi. It's easy to use and lets you put different audio tracks on your video, which is great for adding voiceovers or music. You can also see how your video looks while you're working on it, which helps a lot. Plus, it won't cost you more than $100.

When it comes to changing videos into audio files, I think Movavi is the best MP4 to MP3 converter online. It's really good for getting just the audio out of a video, which is useful if you want to use the sound for something else. This has made things a lot easier for me, and I think it could help you out too.