On-Stage Mic Stand Fix

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

On-Stage Mic Stand Fix

Post by Drone » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:53 am

Dunno if anyone else needs this info. Stripped the clutch on a mic stand, turns out the bolt, not the nut was stripped. Rather than order the OEM replacement Bolt/Friction Disks/Barbell Nut pack, which seems to be out of stock anyways, I just got a new bolt.

M8-25mm carriage bolt

Got a pack of 2 for $2 from the local big hardware store.

I wish the US would either go all metric or all imperial, it's a pain in the ass doing this mix. :?

Also drop your cheap Amazon mic clutch repair finds here. :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: On-Stage Mic Stand Fix

Post by The Scum » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm

A few notes:

Mic stands use 5/8", 27 TPI threads. Amazon will sell you an import tap and die pair in that size for not too much money. They're fine for occasionally cleaning up threads on stands.

I has a situation similar to yours with some cheapo stands - the bolt and handle had bad chrome that was peeling, and the threads would jam. Not woth replacing only one side of the connection, and the flaky crhome would just bind it up again. My local hardware store steered me towards some 5/16 carriage bolts, with Yakima wing-nuts.

Amazon also sell authentic Latch Lake jam nuts in a 3 pack for about $10.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:44 pm

saw these the other day - looked interesting. might repair those clutches that never hold... ?

https://www.alpacamic.com/products/mic-stand-saver

I have not tried it yet.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:15 am

The Scum wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm
A few notes:

Mic stands use 5/8", 27 TPI threads. Amazon will sell you an import tap and die pair in that size for not too much money. They're fine for occasionally cleaning up threads on stands.
If you have those nasty cheap mic clips, with the threads in the plastic, you can force them on a regular old 5/8" bolt. I've got a couple of stands which are made from an old gym weight, a couple of big washers and a 5/8" carriage bolt, handy for kick drums, and other floor level stuff. :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.