Tweeter inductance

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cornsound
pushin' record

Tweeter inductance

Post by cornsound » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:14 pm

I have an Adam Audio P33 with a dead tweeter, and pulled a spare from an Adam A (or A7? can't remember) series to replace it. Physically the tweeters are the same, but I noticed that the dead one was labeled as 30 µH, and the replacement from the smaller A/7? monitor is 40 µH. Is this something that will affect high freq response or the crossover on the P33? i.e. any negatives?

I did a quick test and the 40 µH tweeter seems to work fine after installing it in the P33, but I'm not able to really do some critical listening right now i.e. see if it's now brighter/darker than the other 4 monitors. I am reconfiguring my space to surround and won't have it all straightened out for a few days (basically changing to 5.1.2 and maybe 7.1.4 Atmos).

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Tweeter inductance

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:52 pm

I don't recall ever seeing inductance as a speaker parameter.

Maybe it's a factory matching thing, like "use this value for L3" on the crossover.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:12 pm

Here's somewhat of a white paper on speakers and what to measure on them.

https://eminence.com/pages/support__und ... eaker-data
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:15 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:52 pm
I don't recall ever seeing inductance as a speaker parameter.

Maybe it's a factory matching thing, like "use this value for L3" on the crossover.
Yep, inductance is a speaker parameter. The impedance we use to represent a speaker is actually a combo of pure resistance, and the other values (capacitance and inductance) and as such is actually a frequency dependent value. Don't ask me for more info, college was a long, long, time ago :mrgreen:

Whether it's going to affect the overall sound, I couldn't say. The easy answer would be, yes of course, but then whether it would be an audible difference, I have no idea :shock:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.