Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Re: monitors

Post by T-rex » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:15 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:29 pm
Yeah, I think it's Audio Science Review. The comments in the thread were all so smug and arrogant I was tempted to sign up just to go off on them like I used to with Jeff "$35" Robinson here way back in the day. Fortunately I'm a little wiser than I used to be.
[/quote]

Yes that’s the forum and yes the comments all seem super smug. I mean I get measurements, but that’s just one piece of a huge and complicated puzzle. Seems crazy to me that it’s an entire community based around just that.

Holy hell, Jeff Robinson’s $35. Man, I had totally forgotten about that. :D
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:27 am

T-rex wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:09 pm
trodden wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:13 pm

Holy Fuck, those are cool looking!! I have to ask, what color did you go with? What amp are you using with them?

What amp are you using for the Amphions as well?
White suits my room and even though I thought about doing something really crazy, I like the white contrast with the black speakers.

So here is my current set up:

Both sets are running off Crown XLS 1002 amps. They are great class D amps, clean with a ton of headroom and even cranked I’ve never heard the fans kick on.

I have a Soundcraftsmen Pro Four amp that a friend gave me. It had been in storage for years and sounded amazing for about five minutes till the filter caps failed. So I’m gonna rebuild that at some point in the next month or so and hopefully replace one of the crowns. It’s a nice old school Class A I think. I need to do some research, but it’s like 400 watts a channel and goes easily down to 2 ohms.
So fucking cool. I dig the white!
Those look taller than Pendadragon's though, more like the "2-12 Perfect Set" model, unless you have custom made stands that match the speaker boxes?
https://tektondesign.com/product/full-r ... set/#color

Never mind, i'm seeing that the floor standing Pendragon has been redesigned and looks a little different now.
https://tektondesign.com/product/full-r ... gon/#color

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:38 am

I dig the white too, that whole setup looks great!

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:04 pm

Trodden, yeah these are the standard ones. He also makes a surround version that is shorter. They ain’t small, that’s for sure. Repositioning them sucked due to their size but they measure pretty flat in the room now. I have a small dip at 80hz I’m trying to address with some more treatment. Maybe some diy tube traps.

Between those and the Amphions I finally feel like I can just work and not second guess myself all the time. I still suck at mixing though. . . :shock:

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:43 pm

DYN LYD 48 with their 9S sub as I wasn't getting enough volume out of it when it went thru sonarworks. These replaced my B&W Matrix 805 with their sub (maybe ASW 2500? i'm forgetting the model). and they were powered by a Jim Williams modded Adcom 545. I still have them, actually have two pairs of 805s. I gotta say, with Sonarworks it wasn't night and day or anything but I think less correction is happening than before - though admittedly I think my sub was too loud with the B&Ws.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:15 am

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:43 pm
DYN LYD 48 with their 9S sub as I wasn't getting enough volume out of it when it went thru sonarworks. These replaced my B&W Matrix 805 with their sub (maybe ASW 2500? i'm forgetting the model). and they were powered by a Jim Williams modded Adcom 545. I still have them, actually have two pairs of 805s. I gotta say, with Sonarworks it wasn't night and day or anything but I think less correction is happening than before - though admittedly I think my sub was too loud with the B&Ws.
I’ve always wanted to hear some B&W speakers and just never have gotten the chance. Same with Dynaudio. I almost bought those back in the day but went with the Adams.

How is that Adcom? The Gearspace people were all about using that amp with the JW mod for the Amphions back in the day. But I couldn’t locate any that weren’t outrageously expensive now.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:41 am

Why do I feel like I need to buy a Corvette?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:17 am

I really had no complaints about either setup. the JW mod seemed to help with some noise. Kinda wish I sent him the 535 I have as it offers two different outputs and some on/off toggling of each - pretty sure he charges the same amount for both. I just went with the more powerful one.

I only jumped to the DYNs as I found em for pretty cheap (at the time) and I was curious about trying a 3 way monitor. Joke's on me cuz I needed a sub. I did feel like I got more clarity out of them but it could just be confirmation bias. Not in a hurry to sell my B&Ws though I do have two pairs, so prob should lose one. The 805s go for pretty cheap. I bought them way back when as I saw they were the only monitors in Studio B at Electrical and they have them in A also. They do sound great and a little flattering generally. Biggest thing for me at the time was they were not fatiguing. Like I could have worked on them all day without feeling my ears were fried.

Might be time to bust them out again. Though i use a 55" plasma tv as my computer monitor so not a lot of real estate on the desk.
T-rex wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:15 am
permanent hearing damage wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:43 pm
I’ve always wanted to hear some B&W speakers and just never have gotten the chance. Same with Dynaudio. I almost bought those back in the day but went with the Adams.

How is that Adcom? The Gearspace people were all about using that amp with the JW mod for the Amphions back in the day. But I couldn’t locate any that weren’t outrageously expensive now.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:57 pm

Now that’s a dream, a 55” monitor. My Mac chokes if I try to run a second monitor. When it dies def going to run a tv for a monitor. I’m too old for this stuff.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:49 pm

Interesting... those Pendragons look like a project a YouTuber was doing recently. I must admit I figured that even though he was pretty realistic about design stuff I thought it looked ridiculous. But using those drivers for mids makes a lot more sense.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:39 pm

T-rex wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:57 pm
Now that’s a dream, a 55” monitor. My Mac chokes if I try to run a second monitor. When it dies def going to run a tv for a monitor. I’m too old for this stuff.
Comically it is the one thing almost every client notices and comments on! They could give a shit about my fancy hardware!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:56 pm

EV Sentry 1a for full range mains
Bose Monitor 101's (stacked in pairs for little line arrays) for my mid heavy mix checkers.
43" Samsung 4k TV for my computer
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.