Tracking bands without a console is a PITA!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Re: Tracking bands without a console is a PITA!

Post by T-rex » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:19 pm

Nick, you are right about that. They are littered all over Reverb. Some really good deals and that’s actually tempting since I am a glutton for punishment and would like to try pro tools at some point. But I don’t trust avid and as soon as I went that way, they would ditch support or something knowing my luck. I also don’t have pcie slots, (27” iMac) so I’d have to get another piece of gear etc. I just built a gaming PC for my daughter though and it’s so cheap to get a full PT rig ised it would almost be worth it. Just to try it. Do they run on the latest version of PT? How does that work?

Basically I get done what I need to. But I’d like to get back to where I don’t have to think about set up and can just track.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:56 pm

T-rex wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:19 pm
Do they run on the latest version of PT? How does that work?
Any of the Avid HD or TDM stuff requires Pro Tools Ultimate (and you can look up the prices on that...). Although I hear that Avid Carbon comes with Ultimate, it can still work with Studio. I'm using Studio with my Apollo and I will still bitch about the prices Avid charges for "support and updates" ($199/yr) -- and I have a perpetual license... anyway, you don't need Ultimate with an Apollo.

Any chance you can rent something in your area? I have that option near me... it would definitely be worth it to try to load it up and play with it. Or if you know someone that has one you could test drive. Same goes with anything from Antelope or anyone else. What seems confusing or non-intuitive to one is not always to another... better than spending $$$ and finding out you don't like it.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:26 pm

T-rex wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:19 pm
Nick, you are right about that. They are littered all over Reverb. Some really good deals and that’s actually tempting since I am a glutton for punishment and would like to try pro tools at some point. But I don’t trust avid and as soon as I went that way, they would ditch support or something knowing my luck. I also don’t have pcie slots, (27” iMac) so I’d have to get another piece of gear etc. I just built a gaming PC for my daughter though and it’s so cheap to get a full PT rig ised it would almost be worth it. Just to try it. Do they run on the latest version of PT? How does that work?

Basically I get done what I need to. But I’d like to get back to where I don’t have to think about set up and can just track.
Unless there is some really rock solid reason to stick with what you are using?

Reaper has a fully functional demo, and can probably help you sort that exact thing.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:41 am

I tried Reaper a few years ago, I may give that a shot too at some point.

Yeah I can’t see dropping a ton of money on Pro Tools. I bitch about this aspect of Logic but I really do love Logic. And a one time price if $199 is ridiculously low. So I probably just need a better interface.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:41 am

T-rex wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:41 am
So I probably just need a better interface.
I recommend anything with DANTE protocol. Not exactly cheap, but really great, and you can connect it to nearly anything as long as it has an ethernet port.

I absolutely love my Focusrite RedNet 2s (I just bought a second one). 32 channels of input and output.
The drivers are rock solid, the latency is always low, and they keep working.
They work with all my DAWS: Pro Tools Studio, Steinberg Nuendo (my current main one), Reaper, and Logic Pro X.

If you don't need a ton of I/O, they also have a Stereo X2P version, with knobs and buttons on it LOL.

As to the old Digidesign stuff, the system I have is on a 2008 Mac Pro tower, running the last stable OS it could, and Pro Tools TDM 10.3.10. No, it is no longer supported, but it still works, Bought it all new back in 2008. I do have to say they are built like tanks.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:34 am

Are you using PCIe cards with your Rednet, I assume? With my Mac that’s not currently option. Although there is an RME Dante that is USB apparently.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:34 am

So this looks like just the ticket.
https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/o ... ergy-core/

These are on reverb for around $1200 and the synergy core sounds like the Apollo except with additional or the same 16 analog ins and outs for cheaper. Onboard DSP for low latency etc. Dante seems superior IF you are running PCIe. But I don’t plan on doing that anytime don’t.

I’m gonna compare this to the apollos. Again all I really want is low latency monitoring, ez routing and a few basic EFX for tracking.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:45 am

T-rex wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:34 am
Are you using PCIe cards with your Rednet, I assume? With my Mac that’s not currently option. Although there is an RME Dante that is USB apparently.
Nope, just ethernet. I do have a switch, a Netgear ProSAFE G5116E which is a 1GB switch. Everything goes through that seamlessly. It was one of Audinate's recommended ones.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:12 pm

Oh that’s interesting. I was reading that going Ethernet into the PC and having to the virtual sound card negates some of the benefits of Dante as opppses to using a PCIe card.

So that hasn’t been your experience?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:29 pm

T-rex wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:12 pm
Oh that’s interesting. I was reading that going Ethernet into the PC and having to the virtual sound card negates some of the benefits of Dante as opppses to using a PCIe card.

So that hasn’t been your experience?
I can get 4 mS roundtrip latency, of course without putting any plugins in the signal chain, which mostly I don't do.

The PCIe DANTE card enables even lower latency, sub 1mS. I don't find it necessary, as I mostly mix and do some overdubs these days. If I get more recording gigs, I might build a small computer to have the PCIe card for tracking.