1073's... Real deal or one of the many clones?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: 1073's... Real deal or one of the many clones?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

The Warm 73 is dog shit. Don't bother. I had a pair of the Chameleon Labs 7602s and at first liked them, but ultimately the EQ was disappointing (which I guess I'm in the minority on that).

Great River, as I was reminded recently, is fucking great. IDK why I don't own at least a couple of those preamps.

Real 1073s are so stupidly priced right now that I don't even look anymore. 12k for one channel? Eat me.

Maybe the AML clones? Seems like that dude knows what's up, but no personal experience.

I suspect though, that if you want the real deal, the BAE ones or the old Chandlers that were built with the actual parts from a 1073 are the way to go. YOLO bro.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:28 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Real 1073s are so stupidly priced right now that I don't even look anymore. 12k for one channel? Eat me.
Holy fuck, that's ridiculous.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:15 pm

trodden wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:23 pm
I really should just buy a couple of these.
https://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/prod ... amp-module
It really is a fantastic sounding pre. Or that’s how I remember it, it was my first nice pre. I’d love to hear one now and compare it to some of the modern offerings.

When I first got it I ran a mono drum machine loop through it and just played with the gain and output controls. You could see the signal getting compressed as the gain ramped up and it just sounded great. In my mind I think it *probably* sounds like what everyone said about the great river back in the day. That Neve thickness but you could stack multiple tracks and not have that build up that people always used to talk about with the Neve. Is that a thing? I seem to remember that being a selling point if the great river back in the day. Maybe on the mercenary site?
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:37 pm

trodden wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 pm
These look fun.
https://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatal ... _info.html
I just pulled the trigger on a second 5003D (used) today - it's an older pre that was not a kit - but you'll notice that it looks pretty similar to that one...
https://vintageking.com/aml-5003d

looks like a pretty complex build, but they sound great. Then again you can get them pre-built, £320 is right about $400 (today) and even with international shipping they are still a pretty good deal (even better if you build it). I got my first 5003D direct from AML about 10 years ago? I then bought a second but later sold one ( to Matt at Ice Cream Factory here in Austin). I asked him if he wanted to sell it back to me a couple years go and he said no way!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:10 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:37 pm
trodden wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 pm
These look fun.
https://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatal ... _info.html
I just pulled the trigger on a second 5003D (used) today - it's an older pre that was not a kit - but you'll notice that it looks pretty similar to that one...
https://vintageking.com/aml-5003d

looks like a pretty complex build, but they sound great. Then again you can get them pre-built, £320 is right about $400 (today) and even with international shipping they are still a pretty good deal (even better if you build it). I got my first 5003D direct from AML about 10 years ago? I then bought a second but later sold one ( to Matt at Ice Cream Factory here in Austin). I asked him if he wanted to sell it back to me a couple years go and he said no way!
Bitchin! I dig the YELLOW!!!
I wonder why they no longer sell the 5003D on their website? looks like an ideal pre.

https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-gea ... eview.html

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:21 pm

trodden wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:32 am
I love those old Silvertone amps. Have you seen that new pedal that supposedly does the sound?
https://jackson.audio/products/1484
Hey, that's interesting. I did rebuild a 1484 a few years ago, and it was ridiculous how many resistors (nearly all of them) had drifted quite a lot. Cheap little carbon comp resistors, of course.

I have some involvement with a pedal that re-creates the old Peavey "Session 400", kind of a holy grail for steel guitar players and another amp that suffered a lot from component drift.
https://tcfurlong.com/product/sesh-400/

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:41 am

If you are going for the sound of records made when the 1073 etc. were NEW, then get NEW 1073s.

If you are going to wax nostalgic about "vintage" stuff, then get a vintage one.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:51 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:41 am
If you are going for the sound of records made when the 1073 etc. were NEW, then get NEW 1073s.

If you are going to wax nostalgic about "vintage" stuff, then get a vintage one.
I don't have the time or money for waxing nostalgia about vintage crap.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:21 pm

Ever tried the Avedis MA5? I've got one and I put it on my bass drum (kick if you prefer) and it's never left that spot. I tried it once for a female vocal and it was awful (just too much for her) but I should try it on some other stuff again. I always forget and grab something else. And on kick it is just HUUUGE. I would like to have a pair of these too.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:20 pm

This is another pre I’ve been thinking about. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:05 am

FWIW, and on the inexpensive end (as always), I have a Yamaha PM1000 pre racked by someone here, really like it on guitars.

And the ISA One is said to be a Neve design - lotsa options and it's wonderful with ribbons, too.

No idear how close they are to 1073's.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:54 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:05 am
FWIW, and on the inexpensive end (as always), I have a Yamaha PM1000 pre racked by someone here, really like it on guitars.

And the ISA One is said to be a Neve design - lotsa options and it's wonderful with ribbons, too.

No idear how close they are to 1073's.
the ISA's are great but I think far away from the 1073 sound. The ISA is clean with tons of gain (I like them a lot for ribbons). Rumor was that the later designs (like the ISA and RND) are closer to what RN really wanted, but just couldn't get with the components of the time.

did I rack your PM1000? I can't remember anymore. I did so many back then (10-15+ years now)... I still have one that I kept and it's cool for certain things.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:06 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:54 pm
did I rack your PM1000? I can't remember anymore. I did so many back then (10-15+ years now)... I still have one that I kept and it's cool for certain things.
I really can't recall, but you might have.
Attachments
PM1000sm.jpg
PM1000sm.jpg (140.58 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.