Size Matters!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Size Matters!

Post by bluesman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:48 am

I'm about to set up a new recording room using a vintage school teacher wooden desk. I was thinking about buying a 50" or so wide screen tv to use as a computer monitor, or maybe two smaller one's for a dual monitor setup. A buddy of mine who also does home recording mentioned that he finds really big screens uncomfortable to look at when he is too close. I currently use a 60" plasma tv from about 15' away and I find it slightly uncomfortable when trying to read small print. I use dual monitors at work, but for no real reason I have always used a single video monitor for recording. What is the general consensus? Does size really matter? and if so, how big is too big, how close is too close...etc

I want real advice, but expect that this will be a fun topic, so I will go first.

"Size Matters!" - That's what She said. :jazzman:
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Size Matters!

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:23 am

I use dual monitors, only because that was the easiest way to get both edit and mix windows in front of me with Pro Tools (and even so, I usually have to wear reading glasses to see the small stuff). But I have only so much space between the monitors so it's a tight fit for two 24" (curved Samsung). I thought about a larger monitor, but at one point (and maybe still) Pro Tools had problems with 4K monitors. The other thing you have to consider is if your monitor can support an optimal resolution for whatever larger screen you want to use (if not, everything might look too big or too small on screen). There are some really nice wide screen monitors (usually for gaming) but those also require that your graphics card can support them. Anyway, just remember to make sure that your system, and DAW software can support it all too.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:33 am

Thanks for that! I also wonder about curved or flat video monitors???
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:13 am

In the past I had two smaller monitors up close, one for the edit screen and one for the mixer, which was cool.
Then I went to one decent size tv, like 40” maybe, a bit further back on an arm.
Now I’m on a 27” iMac. I do miss the bigger screen. I have been on a monitoring (speaker) set up mission of late and I actually moved my iMac a little further back so it wasn’t interfering with the near fields as much. I can see it fine but when this iMac dies or is too old, I’ll put a large screen tv on the wall and run it with something that can handle it.

So you need to have an idea of just how big you can get away with and still have the speakers in a good place. I wouldn’t go with anything really big if I was going to be really close to it. If that were the case probably one small or medium size monitor. I prefer one to two because let’s set up and no bar between.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:47 am

T-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:13 am
In the past I had two smaller monitors up close, one for the edit screen and one for the mixer, which was cool.
Then I went to one decent size tv, like 40” maybe, a bit further back on an arm.
Now I’m on a 27” iMac. I do miss the bigger screen. I have been on a monitoring (speaker) set up mission of late and I actually moved my iMac a little further back so it wasn’t interfering with the near fields as much. I can see it fine but when this iMac dies or is too old, I’ll put a large screen tv on the wall and run it with something that can handle it.

So you need to have an idea of just how big you can get away with and still have the speakers in a good place. I wouldn’t go with anything really big if I was going to be really close to it. If that were the case probably one small or medium size monitor. I prefer one to two because let’s set up and no bar between.

Similar. My 27” iMac is getting a little long in the tooth. I’ve determined that a 32” monitor is as big as I can go with my speakers/desk.

Also only interested in a single monitor setup.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:24 pm

I've seen some people stack their screens vertically to better fit the space. And probably it wouldn't be super difficult to turn a widescreen 90 degrees and tell your operating system to match that. Probably wouldn't work for older folks like me with the progressive glasses, though. Looking up at a screen isn't fun.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:46 am

After some talk at another forum I went with an LG widescreen that fits between my monitor speakers. I put it on an arm, but don't often pull it toward me. I really like it, and I've considered another one, that would be on top set for vertical dual screens, but I'm OK using option+ and going back and forth from mixer to edit windows.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:08 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:24 pm
I've seen some people stack their screens vertically to better fit the space.
I have three monitors arranged vertically, big one (I think it's 55") in the middle, smaller guys top and bottom. I don't have a desk, they're all on the wall:

After years of only having one monitor, I would never go back. So much better having more screen space.
Looking up at a screen isn't fun.
And it's terrible for your neck/shoulders. Ergonomics are super important! We're sitting there for hours at a time, you need a setup that isn't ruining you in the process. Young folks reading this are like yeah whatever grampa. TRUST ME.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:07 pm

OMG yes. That’s another consideration. With my desk my iMac sits higher than I’d like and I can’t wait to get a tv on the wall at the right height.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.