RIP Steve Albini

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

RIP Steve Albini

Post by drumsound » Wed May 08, 2024 11:13 am

There's a thread on the People/Places forum, but I think this news is too big to not be mentioned where most people on our forum hang out. Steve was 61 and died of a heart attack.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=91115

Dok
pluggin' in mics

Re: RIP Steve Albini

Post by Dok » Wed May 08, 2024 12:33 pm

It's legitimately insane how many of my favorite records he was involved in. The way that his work has measurably impacted my life, without me even trying to seek out his work, is impossible to accurately quantify. And the fact that he was an open book - so willing to share his knowledge and reflect upon/repudiate some of his past points of view is also second to none. He stomped the terra.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed May 08, 2024 1:31 pm

I just saw this on Reddit. Wow, he was too young to die of a heart attack. I did not expect to see this today.

He did a bunch of the Louisville bands, notably Slint and Crain. He claimed to not impart a sound but from the first snare hit you knew immediately if he recorded it.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 08, 2024 1:41 pm

I never met him more than "hi" but saw Big Black back in the day, heard a ton of stories.

Besides a great producer of many of my fave recordings, he was quite the character - I liked his food blogging, as well.

RIP.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Wed May 08, 2024 4:05 pm

Dang!
Rock in Peace
Ivan the Threadstopper

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed May 08, 2024 4:32 pm

Not really a fan of the music, but he definitely did things his way and was a good voice to push back against conventional wisdom.

And that he more recently was able to publicly be critical of his own past behavior speaks a great deal about his character.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 08, 2024 7:32 pm

local FOX news is doing a piece on him as I type
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm

T-rex wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:31 pm
from the first snare hit you knew immediately if he recorded it.
I posted this on the Electrical board earlier:

Many years ago, my girlfriend picks me up in her car. She's listening to The Wedding Present. I've never heard them. 20 seconds in I say "damn, this sounds really good!" 10 seconds after that I say "this sounds like Steve Albini recorded it." Girlfriend gives me a seriously dubious eyebrow and says "you can listen to something for 30 seconds and know who recorded it?" I replied "I can when it's Steve."

We get to our destination, she pops the cd out, and printed right on it: "Produced by Steve Albini".

Sometime after that, it's a Saturday afternoon and I'm trying to take a nap, but I can't cause my roommate is cranking the tunes in the living room. All I can hear through the wall is the low end of the bass drum but I think "that sure sounds like a bass drum recorded by Steve Albini". Later I ask what he was listening to: "oh that was an outtake from In Utero"

There's lots of records that sound good on a boombox, but lots of those records sound considerably less good when you listen to them under the operating room lights in a mastering room. You don't need me to tell you that Steve's records sound fucking amazing in a mastering room and everywhere else. In my opinion his work stands apart from literally everyone else.

I never met him but he was a huge influence on me as an engineer and as a musician. But far more than that, he was an shining example of How To Be, and I'm so, so thankful to have had him as a role model.

My favorite Shellac song has always been "Ghosts" and that title is making me a little sadder than I already am.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu May 09, 2024 6:34 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm
T-rex wrote:

Many years ago, my girlfriend picks me up in her car. She's listening to The Wedding Present. I've never heard them. 20 seconds in I say "damn, this sounds really good!" 10 seconds after that I say "this sounds like Steve Albini recorded it." Girlfriend gives me a seriously dubious eyebrow and says "you can listen to something for 30 seconds and know who recorded it?" I replied "I can when it's Steve."

We get to our destination, she pops the cd out, and printed right on it: "Produced by Steve Albini".
That’s hilarious. She didn’t grasp your secret super power!

Yeah. It’s almost every instrument from snare to guitar tones. No other production sounds like that.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 10, 2024 7:36 am

I'm finding comfort in the thought of Garges talking Steve's ear off right now.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri May 10, 2024 8:19 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm
T-rex wrote:

Sometime after that, it's a Saturday afternoon and I'm trying to take a nap, but I can't cause my roommate is cranking the tunes in the living room. All I can hear through the wall is the low end of the bass drum but I think "that sure sounds like a bass drum recorded by Steve Albini". Later I ask what he was listening to: "oh that was an outtake from In Utero"

There's lots of records that sound good on a boombox, but lots of those records sound considerably less good when you listen to them under the operating room lights in a mastering room. You don't need me to tell you that Steve's records sound fucking amazing in a mastering room and everywhere else. In my opinion his work stands apart from literally everyone else.

I never met him but he was a huge influence on me as an engineer and as a musician. But far more than that, he was an shining example of How To Be, and I'm so, so thankful to have had him as a role model.

My favorite Shellac song has always been "Ghosts" and that title is making me a little sadder than I already am.
Couldn't have said it better. I was just talking to a friend last week about how he is maybe the only Engineer where I can instantly tell it's his work without actually knowing it.

PJ Harvey, Neurosis, In Utero, Nina Nastasia, Magnolia Electric... I could go on forever about the number of records he's been a part of that changed my outlook on music and life and how records can sound. I can remember where I was and who I was with the first time I heard the drum intro to "Scentless Apprentice" and not knowing what to with myself. Thinking back, it was certainly one of the first instances as a young person where I needed to know how that sounded the way it does. Neurosis's "Given to the Rising" is my favorite sounding record ever and he tracked and mixed the entire thing in FIVE fucking days. So inspiring.

He was so was accessible too. You could be a whatever local band and have the dude that recorded "Rid of Me" as an engineer. Insane.

Never met him, but am going to miss getting excited about new projects he was a part of and his uniquely dry way of sharing his knowledge. Big loss for the universe.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat May 11, 2024 7:52 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:36 am
I'm finding comfort in the thought of Garges talking Steve's ear off right now.
Along with Mark Rubel. At one point Mark's goal was to have all of the same quirky instruments as Steve. I remember going to Pogo once and he was excited because he'd just gotten a little spinet piano he was going to make into a tack piano because he'd used one at a session at Electrical shortly before that.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 am

Heavy loss for our types.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1715358265090.jpg
FB_IMG_1715358265090.jpg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Village Idiot.