Rigging up Otari MX 5050 preamps. . . .

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Rigging up Otari MX 5050 preamps. . . .

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:38 pm

I thought I'd see what advice you all had to offer here. I have an Otari MX 5050 1/2" 4 track that you might have seen in the buying and selling forum. I'm selling it pretty much in parts. It had a couple problems and was damaged in shipping and then I decided to take it apart and then I fucked some things up while taking it apart and to make a long story short, there's some parts that are in great condition and perfectly usable that I'm now selling.

One thing that has my curiosity though is the preamp unit. Basically if you're not familiar with this machine, the line amp/mic preamp input unit which also houses the cards for the 4 tracks is separate from the transport/heads/reels part of the machine.

I'm wondering, and this is probably rediculous, but in Ampex fashion, maybe I can just rig up a power supply for the preamps and sell that unit for cheapo so someone can have some fun. Hey they even have VU meters.

The thing about the power supply though, is it's in the transport chassis, so originally there's a couple cables that connect the bulk of the machine/transport/heads/reels etc to the preamp unit and it draws it's power through that/those cable/s. Now I've attempted to follow the signal path to the power supply thinking maybe I'll just remove that and use it with the preamps, but it's pretty complicated, I'm not really into doing that, and the P.S. is heavy as a MOFO. What I'm asking is, is there a cheap and easy way to just hook up a wall wart maybe to the preamp unit, so I can at least listen to it, and decide what to do from there?

Or is this a total waste of time? Maybe some one will want it how it is anyway. After all it does house the cards. . . .

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Re: Rigging up Otari MX 5050 preamps. . . .

Post by honkyjonk » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:02 am

Bump

Anybody?

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:05 am

Wait a second. How can I have 200 posts two messages in a row?

Me no unnastand.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:08 am

Okay I unnastand. Now I have 201 in all three of my posts and when I press submit I'll have 202.

Please disregard these last two lamo comments.

How about that Otari MX5050 preamp?

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:42 am

I'm interested in this also. And if it can be done, how can you add phantom power to each?

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:19 am

Do you have a schematic for the 5050? Seems like that would help you dissect the power supply connections. Have you poked around with a multimeter while the unit is on? You'll find the V+ and V- rails that way. Clip the black wire from your meter to the chassis and look for a pair of wires that are + and - 18 volts or 12 or 24 or whatever. Oh, and if it does use a two-ended power supply then using a wallwart is going to be tricky. Don't forget to put a properly rated fuse in the circuit...