Busted U-87

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
BradG
pushin' record

Busted U-87

Post by BradG » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:50 am

I'm in NYC with a U-87 that blows out at high SPL's (well not that high - any normal singer will do). The mic is probably about 14 years old and I think it's been in for this before. Where can I get this mic serviced reliably? Thanks.

Posterart
audio school

Re: Busted U-87

Post by Posterart » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:28 pm

try Klaus Heyne
Klaus@GermanMasterworks.com

I recently had an 87 repaired by him. After I sent him the mic he did a free estimate for repair OR modification. He did wonderful and timely work. He was referred to me by two other engineers who have had great past experiences with him as well. Don't waste your or his time though. Email him a detailed explaination of the problem and he can give you a ballpark figure of costs. Also, as he suggested to me, do a google search on his name and check out his background story and read the articles. By the way, if you have mistreated your 87 he WILL scold you on the phone and via email!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Busted U-87

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:39 pm

Yes Klaus is one of the big name guys. There's a place called 'Gotham' that repairs Neumann mics too. Don't have the number handy, but they should have a listing on the internet somewhere. Stephen Paul's place in Sherman Oaks, CA may still be open too even though he passed away recently. They might be able to help you too.