Using VST stuff in Cool Edit Pro?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
madpie
pushin' record

Using VST stuff in Cool Edit Pro?

Post by madpie » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:56 pm

That's what I would like to be able to do, but it seems like maybe there's no way to do it. So far, actually, I've been doing a few things in Fruity Loops, mostly just creating various organ sounds, and then saving them as wav file loops and then bringing them into Cool Edit Pro. ... But tonight I've finally decided that this is just completely ridiculous and that I'll never get anything done that I actually like if I can't get a more functional setup going on.

I dislike step sequencers, which seem really clunky and primitive to me, but I like using computer noises and VST stuff as recording tools. Can anybody either

1)tell me what I need to do to use these things in Cool Edit Pro. (Can CEP act as a VST host?), or
2)Suggest a PC program, preferably relatively low end, that does let you use this type of stuff but is a multitracking, song-oriented program ala Cool Edit Pro or Pro Tools?

Apologies in advance if this is an incredibly dumb question. This is the real reason I spend all of my time in off-topic, where we mostly just talk about boobs.
With my Les paul, I know I'm small.

Bear
deaf.

Re: Using VST stuff in Cool Edit Pro?

Post by Bear » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:44 pm

Boobs are awesome.

And you can use VST plug-ins with Cubase and Sonar. I prefer Sonar over Cubase, as Cubase's format is needlessly complex. Or at least it is for me. But I lean towards the dumb side at times. Anywho, Sonar's pretty nifty for tracking and whatnot, though I prefer Cool Edit. But hey, if you can use VSTs in Cool Edit, I'd like to know too.
I am wangtacular.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:43 am

are you trying to use VST effects, or VST instruments?

if it's effects, you could use Audacity which is a freeware multi-track audio editor, it supports VST effects.

if it's instruments... I don't think CEP is built to handle it. I'm in the same boat, trying to integrate audio and midi after keeping them seperate for a long time, and I'm looking at Cubase, as it will handle all the legacy DX effects I have, as well as VST fx and VSTi's...
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:17 am

One thing I may suggest is hopping your tracks back and forth between Cool Edit and Acid. You might, say, take a mixdown from your current CEP mix and then toss it into Acid, and then record/program your VSTi over that, then export that track to a .wav and toss in back into CEP.

Or, an easier way would be to simply use CEP for recording and Acid for mixing. By recording in CEP and tossing all of your tracks into Acid you could easily utilise both your VSTi and VST fx. The mixing capabilities of Acid are on-par with CEP and its editing capabilities are more intuitive, though CEP is definitely better for recording. Also, Fruity Loops is a natural born Acid loop exporter.

This seems to be the coolest, simplest, most acidic, & versatile route around IMHOtep.

Good luck.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

MichaelG
audio school graduate

Post by MichaelG » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:52 pm

There's mention here of a "VST wrapper" that CEP/Audition is able to use. Is this any help?

http://www.audiomastersforum.org/amforu ... .php?t=151

madpie
pushin' record

Post by madpie » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:57 pm

ihavecomputer wrote:One thing I may suggest is hopping your tracks back and forth between Cool Edit and Acid. You might, say, take a mixdown from your current CEP mix and then toss it into Acid, and then record/program your VSTi over that, then export that track to a .wav and toss in back into CEP.

Or, an easier way would be to simply use CEP for recording and Acid for mixing. By recording in CEP and tossing all of your tracks into Acid you could easily utilise both your VSTi and VST fx. The mixing capabilities of Acid are on-par with CEP and its editing capabilities are more intuitive, though CEP is definitely better for recording. Also, Fruity Loops is a natural born Acid loop exporter.

This seems to be the coolest, simplest, most acidic, & versatile route around IMHOtep.

Good luck.
This sounds like a very do-able solution, esp. b/c it looks like Acid is inexpensive (around $120 for the new version, if I'm reading the web ads correctly). Thanks for the suggestion.
With my Les paul, I know I'm small.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:38 pm

Great, I hope it works out for you. Let me know if you have any questiions.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:37 pm

The spinaudio.com free wrapper works well, if occasionally a little weird, and will crash the CEP program if the vst .dll is bad.

I use it all the time, though.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.