Recording Guitar Amp Direct out vs. mic

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
EletrikGutar182
alignin' 24-trk

Recording Guitar Amp Direct out vs. mic

Post by EletrikGutar182 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:47 am

I have a home studio that I use for recording frequently. Most of the time I put a 57 in front of my amp (Mesa Boogie Single Recto) and occasionally a 414 behind it for some ambience. I was wondering, is there any way, using a Direct Box to use one of the (powered, 50 watt, 4 ohm or 8) speaker outputs and send it DI to my computer for recording? I know that a mic will probably yield the best resluts, but I'm interested in experimentation in this case. Just looking for other ways to capture a nice distorted lead guitar

Thanks,
Alex

Slider
george martin

Re: Recording Guitar Amp Direct out vs. mic

Post by Slider » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:52 am

Palmer speaker emulator.
Very midrangy and weird sounding, but direct.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:55 am

I have never like the sound I get with any type of DI from an amp. PODs are a little better becasue they have speaker simulation but I still like the sound of a speaker interacting with the air better. Maybe you could use a different dynamic mic to close mic with. Try the Sennheiser MD409 or MD421 where you usually use a 57. Even so, I always end up liking a 57 better than anything else for overdriven guitars. I like the 421 for clean guitar amp close micing or sometimes a condenser 3' to 5' away so the sound comes together a bit more.

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:56 am

ive always liked micing rather than direct guitar sounds. but my problem is i put too many mics on the thing and have mad phase problems....

im going to search the site for amp micing tecniques now ....

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:34 am

Hughes and kettner "red box" between the head and the cab.

Mix with mic/s.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:58 am

Here's what I recommend trying if you're on a tight budget, use a $29 Behringer UltraG cab sim, to a good mic pre. For quiet recording, you'll also need to plug in a load box of appropriate impedance and power handling (I use a THD Hot Plate).

next, get a demeter ISO box.

You can also try a Palmer 04, or 03 if you can find one.

drliebs
gettin' sounds

Post by drliebs » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:29 pm

The red box isn't bad but I prefer the POD and it is a lot more versatile. Everyone agrees a well miced amp sounds the best but sometimes you are in need of haste and I think the POD rocks. MD409 is one of my all time favorite guitar mics. 421's with a couple clicks of roll off are great too. 57 never sounds bad, you just can't og wrong with it. After that it is all about the amp/speaker and mic placement. Oh yeah, somewhere a person has to be able to play it too LOL

I record a lot of crunch guitar and I am usually happiest with one mic pretty close. A lot of people swear by the two mic/one off axis approach but I think it just takes the balls out of it. And the farther I move the mic, the louder I end up turning up the amp. For home recording get a POD.

If you want the line from the amp, well, most amps line outs aren't so great, unless you are going for some Type O Negative obviously fake sound.
If it's not Scottish it's CRAP

alignin' 24-trk

Post by 01100011 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:47 pm

i like micing the amp so much better.... but sometimes i will blend DI with the mic sounds

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:55 pm

My Johnson J-station is not that great by itself but sounds pretty decent when I run it through a good preamp/DI. I've had good luck with my Joe Meek but I'm sure it would be even better through other higher end pres.

JasonW
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by JasonW » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:24 pm

I'm really interested in checking out the Palmer unit. I'm concerned about the "midrangey and weird" comment. Does anyone have a sound clip with this unit that they could share?

Also, isn't there a company that makes a soundproofed iso box with a 12" speaker and an SM-57 inside of it? I saw an ad for it in a guitar magazine years ago.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:57 pm

Check this thread out:

http://63.151.115.106/board/showthread. ... ght=palmer

Also, give the $29 Behringer UltraG a try. Some prefer it to the Palmer!!

Demeter makes an ISO box with built in SM57.

JasonW wrote:I'm really interested in checking out the Palmer unit. I'm concerned about the "midrangey and weird" comment. Does anyone have a sound clip with this unit that they could share?

Also, isn't there a company that makes a soundproofed iso box with a 12" speaker and an SM-57 inside of it? I saw an ad for it in a guitar magazine years ago.