studio foam: non-permament mounting.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
deadair
steve albini likes it

Re: studio foam: non-permament mounting.

Post by deadair » Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:27 pm

screws seems like a pretty good solution. as long as its not too messy getting em down, and dont rip....... hmmm, a few things to think about.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:38 pm

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:41 am

deadair wrote:mark, was the velcro on the foam or on the board? and if youre offering me the velcro, i'm certainly interested.
Well I'm only half serious about the velcro - not sure where it is anymore. Was really trying to warn you to try your solution on a small scale and wait a few weeks. My velcro was fine for a month or two but soon everything was falling down. It didn't stick at all to the wall (so I stapled the velcro to the wall). Then it didn't stay stuck to the foam. And this was the super industrial adhesive velcro. Sigh.

Maybe others have had better luck with velcro - but I'd vote for the foamcore, and leave just enough edge to screw, staple or hang them.

mark

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:43 am

One more thought. Foam tack is not very permanent. I have a few square attached directly to the ceiling (where hanging was less practical). It's kind of like rubber cement & you don't need that much. I've been able to move the ones I wanted and the residue rubs off pretty easy - but the others have stayed put for over a year now.

Try on a small inconspicous area first!

mark

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:19 am

yeh i just saw in musiciansfriend the foamtack that they claim is nonpermament..... unfortuantely its $20 a can....... which i guess is mroe expensive than all that foam core would be, but certainly more than screws..... so much to think about.

tbstudios
pluggin' in mics

Post by tbstudios » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:16 pm

To accomodate a 2 x 4 peice of foam, I just cut a piece of cardboard box about 16" long and about 5" tall. I take that, cut a nail slot in the center like a picture hanger shape, made some center marks on the foam and hot glued the cardboard to the foam. Then, it just hangs like a picture.

Works great if I have to move pieces around.

-Tim P.

Tour Bus Studios

brainofmorbius
audio school

Post by brainofmorbius » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:48 pm

I recently made movable foam panels that have been working great. I used 2' x 3' pieces of thin luann (sp?) board and glued the acoustic foam to one side. (with the adhesive that they suggest) On the other side I put strips of velcro. (the fuzzy side) Around my tracking room I put many different locations of the other side of the velcro so that I can move these panels around as I need them. They work really well.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:57 pm

How about T-Pins? If you have drywall or even something heavier, you could just pin them up to the wall.

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:26 pm

i've got plywood for walls right now so t pins wouldnt work. all these suggestions are really great though. interesting that so many people have done so many similar, yet different, things

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:46 pm

I tried "industrial strength" double-stick tape and can give you one word of advice (a contraction, actually) about using it.

Ready?

DON'T!

It all fell off in about 20 minutes, in the middle of a pretty decent mix... :x
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

angryaudio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by angryaudio » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:57 pm

I'm actually in the process of moving my studio right now. And after removing a bunch of foam from my old space, my vote is for what's called "finish nails." Basically they are nails with a very narrow head ... like what you'd use on furniture. I used the longer ones (2-inch) and nailed them right through the 2-inch aualex. What's great about them is when you're ready to move, you can just pull the foam right off the wall, and the nails won't damage the foam. All you need to do at that point is pull out the remaining nails with a set of pliars.

I do like the foam-core idea though. [wheels in head turning]

AA
You don't know me.