scam?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Re: scam?

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:08 pm

trodden wrote:"lock up your children for the shipper man is coming..."

"HE IS HERE!!!"

(in tune to Amebix's "the axeman")
"Slaughter!"

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:25 pm

wenzel.hellgren wrote:
trodden wrote:"lock up your children for the shipper man is coming..."

"HE IS HERE!!!"

(in tune to Amebix's "the axeman")
"Slaughter!"
"He is COMING!!!!"

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:34 pm

Wow, that sucks. I would definitely write this person back and inform them that you know it's a scam and you have alerted the police. shit, tell the fucker you have a gun even if you don't!
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:36 pm

JASIII wrote:tell the fucker you have a gun even if you don't!
That is bad advise.
1) Guns are a popular item to steal
2) He will come armed.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:00 pm

JASIII wrote:Wow, that sucks. I would definitely write this person back and inform them that you know it's a scam and you have alerted the police.
I would agree with that - if they know you are on to them, they will probably go look for an easier target.

we get people calling my work all the time, trying to run a toner/office supply scam, and they evaporate as soon as I say "give me your name and number and I'll call you back" - because they know that I know the deal.

show them that you are not the path of least resistance, and they will go elsewhere.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:11 pm

having grandpas shotgun handy never hurt....i keep mine under the bed...i think i would move it by the door...just dont shoot yer eye out

damn nigerian scamsters

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:35 pm

If you're really worried, just see if the police are willing to park one of their cars in front of your house for a couple days.

Chances are, though, that a scammer will just move on to some other potential sucker. Leaving the house to rip somebody is a lot more work and risk.

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:19 pm

I'm with housepig on this one. Be assertive, let them know they should look elsewhere for a good theft. These guys aren't gonna do shit if they know you're on to the game.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:35 pm

uh you gave them your address?
not good..
send them your NEW address..[substitute the address of your local police station!!]

never give the address..in the future
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

HypCo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by HypCo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:21 pm

I'd let the scammer know you're onto his scam, call the cops and fill them in and then not worry about it too much. I seriously doubt if "The Shipper" is going to come a callin'. But just in case, get a knife.

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:26 pm

1) I never gave anyone my home address. I'm not a total fucking idiot.
2) Those of you trying to scare me can kiss my ass. Seriously. This is scary as hell and I don't need anyone giving me shit right now.
3) The police have been alerted.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:50 pm

i don't think people were trying to scare you - you mentioned that they sent you a check - maybe it was paypal. That is good news that they don't have your address. I think if you are careful for the next few days/weeks, it will all blow over.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:57 pm

Aw shit, it's the old German-Nigerian-Minnesotan scam!
abrawner wrote:1) I never gave anyone my home address. I'm not a total fucking idiot.
What's the worry, then? How's he going to find you? In fact, you've got the advantage, I'd say, with what you know now.

If the cops want to bust him, they've got a perfect opportunity to pull a sting here. They'd have to set it up (unless you have friends experienced in this kind of business), but if you tell him you cashed the check, he's got no way to know that you haven't. Tell him to come get his cash and gear, give him a different address. That's the tricky part, b/c it's got to be a place that's not your house, but that you could use for this. That's where the cops/experienced friends come in, I can't help you there. Then they can bust him when he shows up.

Leigh

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:40 pm

I doubt people here were trying to scare you. I know I wasn't. I apologize if it was taken as differently. I just want to make sure everything ends up alright on your end. As for your address...since you never gave it to him...then you're golden and should have nothing really to worry about. I was under the impression that he did since he sent you a money order, but I was wrong.

dc11
gettin' sounds

Post by dc11 » Thu May 20, 2004 1:05 pm

Did this situation ever get resolved? My roomate just got into a very similar situation. If it got resolved, what did you do to resolve it? We're calling the bank right now. There isn't anyone overseas involved with this, so I'm kinda nervous as to what is going on.

Here's an intersting side note to this, the "Remitter" name on the check is Condaleeza Rice. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT?
My knob taste funny