The Mix our Song Contest

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Re: The Mix our Song Contest

Post by playinbass » Tue May 25, 2004 2:55 pm

No problem odsus...I'm just running it off a home machine so it's not a problem as far aas the total amount of downloads. Once you get your FTP server set up let me know and I can turn this server off.

These typrs of things are fun (at least I think so). I've been playing around with the song this afternoon....the end result should be amusing!

the files should unzip OK...I just tested one on my Mac here.
The mime type on the .sea file might make it look funny when it downloads, but droppng it onto stuffit expander does open it.

rockstarfactory
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by rockstarfactory » Tue May 25, 2004 4:44 pm

hey, odsus, thanks to playinbass i was able to download it. (thanks for that!)

is it okay to do what we want with it? i did a quickie mix, then "produced" it a bit. . .those who remember my post about "first mixing session today" a couple of weeks ago will not be surprised by that. :-)

i decided to go all "jellyfish" with it. . .i added a bunch of tasty keyboard parts, and when i get time this week or next week, i'll add a guitar track or two.

i think you'll love it. it may just be that radio smash you've been waiting for.

todd

rockstarfactory

Post by rockstarfactory » Tue May 25, 2004 4:45 pm

awwwww, yeah, and with this post i just got upped to "ass engineer"!

yippee! finally!

todd

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Tue May 25, 2004 5:02 pm

Feel free to download it from here aswell:

http://laakso.nu/tapeop.htm

No download restrictions so it should work.

odsus

Post by odsus » Tue May 25, 2004 5:10 pm

You all Rock!!! Feel free to muck about as much as your little hearts please. The further out the better. I am getting with my web guy tonight so hopefully I will get the ftp up for tomorow evening.

thaks again Ya'll.
Huh?

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Wed May 26, 2004 9:18 am

I just started messign around with a mix of the song this morning. Cool little song.
boom-ptch-boom

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed May 26, 2004 1:36 pm

I just whipped off a 1-hour mix. Fun tune!
I wish I had more time, but that's all I could spare. (I just don't have any more extra time, so instead of a "far-out" mix - I decided to go for a "present it as best as I can with the original 8 tracks and 1 hour to mix it" mix. With more time I would've gladly added some harmonies, percussion, maybe even had a friend add some more guitar?!?)
I'll post it ASAP for ya, odsus.
Last edited by Mark Alan Miller on Wed May 26, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

jeffro
audio school

Post by jeffro » Wed May 26, 2004 5:01 pm

Is there going to be some way to hear everyone's mixes? I'd really like to hear my finished mix compared to others' so I can maybe pick up a trick or two, or just to see where other people took it.

odsus

Post by odsus » Wed May 26, 2004 5:18 pm

Is there going to be some way to hear everyone's mixes? I'd really like to hear my finished mix compared to others' so I can maybe pick up a trick or two, or just to see where other people took it.
I hope I will be able to get everyone's file on my ftp (assuming it's up by then) But the top three will definantly be up on our site (with links on the board of course.

By the way thank you eskimo.
Huh?

odsus

Post by odsus » Wed May 26, 2004 6:46 pm

http://www.bullet-reaction.co.uk/odsus/

My ftp is finaly up, it looks a little wierd, none of the links work exept for the two trigger links on the top of the page.

Thanks to you who helped with the hosting.

As always E-mail me with any probles/questions odsus1@cavtel.net
Huh?

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Wed May 26, 2004 8:48 pm

odsus wrote:
I hope I will be able to get everyone's file on my ftp (assuming it's up by then) But the top three will definantly be up on our site (with links on the board of course.

By the way thank you eskimo.
Everyone could just post links to their final mixes in the mp3 forum, too, or maybe just post them in this thread. Once everyone posts their final mixes we could start a poll thread and have people vote on their favorite.

Or something.

Joe

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Wed May 26, 2004 10:05 pm

I was able to get the tracks thanks to playinbass. I like the song but it's not been an easy mix. Everything's mono and the single OH track sounds like shit! only one guitar part? c'mon! Also, some of the files had extremely low levels which didn't help and pleas don't gate things next time. I've got everything sitting real nice and lush except the drums. ARRG! I thought I'd fixed the problem when I stereoized them with a Lexi plate rev plugin and then distorted it through a pair of mic preamps to get the "drums from hell are jumping out of my speakers" effect. Sounded fabulous solo'd but incredibly out of place with the song. Who would've guessed? :wink: Where do we post the mp3s? I might have it up tomorrow.

odsus

Post by odsus » Thu May 27, 2004 1:40 pm

Family Hoof , That is one of our earlier recordings, we had limited mics, equipment, knowledge, etc., etc.. Thigs are better now (i hope).
As for posting the song just go to http://www.yousendit.com and e-mail it to me ( odsus1@cavtel.net ). thanks a lot for trying your hand at it.
Huh?

odsus

Post by odsus » Thu May 27, 2004 2:05 pm

I just tried to go to my ftp page to edit it, lo and behold, it's down. A brotha just cant win, can he? So was anyone able to download anything from the ftp? I'm just curious.
Huh?

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Thu May 27, 2004 2:29 pm

Family Hoof wrote:I was able to get the tracks thanks to playinbass. I like the song but it's not been an easy mix. Everything's mono and the single OH track sounds like shit! only one guitar part? c'mon! Also, some of the files had extremely low levels which didn't help and pleas don't gate things next time. I've got everything sitting real nice and lush except the drums. ARRG! I thought I'd fixed the problem when I stereoized them with a Lexi plate rev plugin and then distorted it through a pair of mic preamps to get the "drums from hell are jumping out of my speakers" effect. Sounded fabulous solo'd but incredibly out of place with the song. Who would've guessed? :wink: Where do we post the mp3s? I might have it up tomorrow.
What happens with vocals2 after the stop? Is it supposed to just be gone. Also.. toms and overhead were titled incorrectly in the one I downloaded. The gate on the overhead cut the cymbals off short at the stop.

The overhead is weird to work with. I can't get into mono drums.

I haven't done any editing... don't know if I will.

It's a cool fun little song.