Pre-amp?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
odsus
gimme a little kick & snare

Pre-amp?

Post by odsus » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:06 am

O.k. so here is the question;

I have a P.C. running cool edit with an ST Audio DSP 24 card (8 in-8 out). The problem is that only channel 1 & 2 have a pre-amp (by pre-amp I mean nothing more than a mic/line pot). The problem is all of my levels are very low on vocal tracks, room mics, and the like. I am fine when it comes to mic'ing cabinets, kicks and snares, but those damn vocals and things where there is not a whole lota output give me no end of hell.

I want to set up to record a full band live (we use a 57, beta-52, audio-tecnica MB1000L, senheiser e-835, and various 57/58 knock-offs). We have no high output mics so do do you all think I can get by with one of those cheap multi (4-8 ) channel pre-amps, or should I save up and go for a few decent pre's?
Huh?

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Pre-amp?

Post by ubertar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:55 am

do you all think I can get by with one of those cheap multi (4-8 ) channel pre-amps, or should I save up and go for a few decent pre's?
What is the purpose of your recording? Are you making a demo for getting gigs, or something more? If it's for a live demo, I'd just get something cheap for now, and save for something better for later.

Most clubs only care about the bottom line: getting butts in the door and selling drinks. They'll be more impressed by the number of people on your mailing list than any difference a better pre will make in your demos.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with having good equipment. It comes down to what your priorities are for that money.

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:47 am

Gotta remember the converters on the st audio aren't great either. Pushing a good preamp through them may end up being very dissapointing and turn you off to good pre's for life (almost happened to me).

I would get something "cheap" like the presonus or sytek offerings.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

odsus
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by odsus » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:41 am

Thanks ya'll, I was already leaning that way but I figured that I would throw it out there anyhow.
Huh?