bands that make you want to vomit...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: bands that make you want to vomit...

Post by wing » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:05 am

mcfl0nuz wrote:
I love weezer about as much as a straight dude can but, everything after Pinkerton was a big steamy pile of shit. I just pretend their plane went down in 2000 right after I saw them...

i agree with you 43059823450923845029348523490%

the band went downhill after matt sharp left...im waiting for the reunion...patiently...so that I can start wearing my weezer t's with pride again.

matt sharp is a critical element of the band, if you dont think so then i recommend to listen to 'the return of' the rentals...what a wicked lp.
totally... i freakin LOVE the rentals. their second album was really good too. they just have awesome songs, and they were so well recorded.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:15 am

Auxillary wrote:le tigre
I'm with ya buddy.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:31 pm

mcfl0nuz wrote: matt sharp is a critical element of the band, if you dont think so then i recommend to listen to 'the return of' the rentals...what a wicked lp.
Ahem.. Tom Grimley had a fucking lot more than you know to do with that record. It was not nearly just the 'genius' of Matt Sharp.. I'm doubtful he even knew who gary numan was before Tom.
beware bee wear

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:57 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:AFI... My roommate loves this band. He plays them constantly...morning, night time, driving, the fucking ring tone to his cellphone! and even has Multiple (as in more than one) tattoo's that have something to do with them. God just hearing about them pisses me off. Fuck those guys.

I am getting might sick of Reggie and the Full Effect too (see above roommate)

Also Thursday. Yup, them too.

I agree on the AFI bit,. fucking annoying and their fans are dumb.

I can never dislike Reggie. I'm friends with James (reggie, get up kids, coalesce) an just knowing his personality and humor makes the Reggie stuff even fucking funnier.

Thursday, yeck....

New found glory and good charlotte can eat it as well. i did stage hand work for those bands last summer when they came through on the shit fuck honda civic tour. it was like working a new kids on the block concert.

jdparris
pluggin' in mics

Post by jdparris » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:29 pm

any band with the "cookie monster" vocal stylings... the vocal equivalent of a squashed-to-hell, zero-dynamic mastering job, or the buzzy Mesa-Boogie guitar tone. :x :roll:

jdparris

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:39 pm

would have to agree with most
no mo weezer no maroon5 or avril

and with these others im gonna be picking a fight but honesty must prevail

The mars volta.....heard so much about this band...listened to some recordings that people made for me...but when i saw them 'live' which i guess is 'the shit' i wanted to fight everyone and then slice my wrists for paying 15 bucks sorry but hey ...i will challenge anyone of those dudes to a noise off anyday and win

and reggie......sorry its crap....so unfunny its funny i guess

just go to the source www.blacknasty.net

digdug
pushin' record

Post by digdug » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:18 pm

mjau wrote:
Rigsby wrote:What about the voice of Geddy Lee?
How did it get so high?
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
I know him, and he does.
And you're my fact-checkin cuz...

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:19 pm

I must say, if you think about reggie.. its pretty sickening.

but if you turn it up going 85 down the highway with the windows down... its damn good music.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:23 pm

Auxillary wrote:but if you turn it up going 85 down the highway with the windows down... its damn good music.

exactly. stupid fun goofy music. i like it.

Lazy_Q
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lazy_Q » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:49 pm

Actually, the death metal band Grave always makes me want to vomit (particulary bits of their first album), but that's the intended effect, and I rather appreciate it. Most slow death metal works well enough.

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:50 pm

mcfl0nuz wrote:i really cant stand hardcore either...or rapcore, or grindcore, or whatever core they're on this week.
ok.... if you dont like any of those genres and really know what you're saying - thats fine. thats your opinion (and often i agree, but theres some bands in each style that i like).

but please dont use those "cores" interchangeably - ESPECIALLY grindcore. grindcore is SO incredibly different than hardcore, rapcore, or any other core.

grindcore is a decescendant style of death metal and black metal. its the most brutal and blistering of any style of music. normally coming close to 300BPM, with nothing but death and black metal screaming, technically ridicidulous guitars, shredding solos, and sometimes distorted bass to add to the huge wall of controlled noise. occasionally they include keyboards, but then its like grindcore with more of black metal influence.

often, it sucks. but sometimes a band gets it right and its quite impressive. Nile has some of those moments. so does Cephalic Carnage.

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:06 pm

300bpm doesnt exist. The fastest bpm a human can experience is 240. After that, the mind begins to make subdivisions without a clearly defined beat. I know it sounds impressive to say 300bpm, but that's like saying "man, my car goes a few million inches per hour".
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:01 pm

Auxillary wrote:300bpm doesnt exist. The fastest bpm a human can experience is 240. After that, the mind begins to make subdivisions without a clearly defined beat.
exactly. the beat is rarely clearly defined in grindcore. they are playing so damn fast it sounds more like noise. which is the main goal in mind for the style - controlled noise. they're practically buzz-rolling the entire drum kit and tremelo picking the guitars. some bands take it a step further and call themselves 'noisecore'.

i said "close to 300BPM". i dont know if 300 is possible or not, but i know bands can play faster than 240 BPM. check out Origin if you're really interested.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:06 pm

djslayerissick wrote:
ok.... if you dont like any of those genres and really know what you're saying - thats fine. thats your opinion (and often i agree, but theres some bands in each style that i like).

but please dont use those "cores" interchangeably - ESPECIALLY grindcore. grindcore is SO incredibly different than hardcore, rapcore, or any other core.
'Round these parts, we play both kahnds o'core - grindcore >and< hardcore.

:>

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:19 pm

Hoobastank is the worst band ever, I just saw there video. Did my ears hear an e-bow in the background?
Werd.