is it possible to lose your skill in an instrument?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Re: is it possible to lose your skill in an instrument?

Post by jajjguy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:01 pm

right on, junokane. but for the record let me just point out that wing doesn't suck, at all.

junokane
pushin' record

Post by junokane » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:32 am

I am now, and forever will be, Generalissimo Extremo in the GARVIS Army. Listening to Garvis has completely re-wired my brain. My avatar is a constant reminder to myself, and all true believers, of the earth-shattering and life-changing power of Scandinavian psych/folk/oompah rawk. Skenvjekiastriijian Haaaaasgurviislicht is my god. And a mighty fine-looking chappy. And a snappy dresser.

Ask Bobbydj, he will back me up on this.
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

maggot
ass engineer

Post by maggot » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:07 pm

Sometimes suckiness comes from overthinking. It happens to me when play guitar, which is easily fakable compared to drums. The drums are such a physical instrument that if you start thinking you can become a little alienated from your body and a little bit spastic and laggy. I'm a terrible drummer, but I do play, and sometimes when I think too much I fall apart completely. Same with guitar - sometimes I feel like I'm Shaq shooting free throws.

It'll go away and your playing will show improvement from having thought about what you're doing a little more.

A week off is a pretty good cure for plateuing and frustration.

-By the way, I put a Garvis picture up on my fridge and my wife made me take it down because it freaked her out too much, and she's not easily spooked.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:32 pm

junokane wrote:Ask Bobbydj, he will back me up on this.
He's right, everyone. Oompah psyche prog is the new emo.

Get with the programme.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:40 pm

This may be a stupid question...but are you getting enough sleep? I know that I've gone through periods like what yr. describing, and invariably they seem to be in times when I'm so damn busy that I'm not getting enough zzzz's.

I recently read somewhere that it was discovered that many folks dream about what they're learning to do in their sleep. My theory is that if I'm well rested, I've gotten some good subconscious practice. I once solved a Java programming problem during dreaming. Somehow, I woke myself up went straight to the computer and implemented the solution. It worked perfectly. I had been puzzling over this particular problem for 8 hours. My "dream" solution was certainly non-linear, but it was still elegant and workable.

I keep meaning to leave a tape recorder next to my bed to capture song ideas.

Paul