Mackie VLZ Pres

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
probability
gettin' sounds

Mackie VLZ Pres

Post by probability » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:30 pm

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/pressr...62568800020FCF2

The above link was posted in a Tascam forum a while back. The article basically says that the preamps in a VLZ are pretty much the best preamps in the world.

I just wanted to hear what anyone else had to say about this.

heylow
george martin

Re: Mackie VLZ Pres

Post by heylow » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Not to sound like a dick but......C'MON!

a) There is NO best pre amp in the world.

and

b) Its a pointless arguement. Go and track a set of drums, for instance, on a set of APIs and the same drum set on a set of Mackies. If you actually LIKE the Mackies better, God bless you and I envy you. For your taste will never burden your bank book....buy a wall of em. :wink:

As for me...I own no API or NEVE but have used both often enough to know that my Mackies are yucky to at least MY ears. I own a set of Davisound pres that I like quite a bit and can pick out the Mackies in a blind test every time. All I gotta do is pick the one that sounds like it further away with that "haze" in the high end.

Which brings me to point 2: Mackies may well be great utilitarian pres but stack em up over 16 or 24 tracks and that "haze" will be all you hear. Stacking over a number a tracks is where all this preamp jive really matters. Almost anything can sound good or damned close by itself.

heylow

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:52 pm

I couldn't make that link, but isn't it on the RNP thread anyway? Some Nashville shoot-out? If it's the same one it#'s actually the VLZ Pro pres anyway. And, again if so, what a mad set of claims!!

*Gazes lovingly at 1604 over in other corner of room*
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:54 pm

As for me...I own no API or NEVE but have used both often enough to know that my Mackies are yucky to at least MY ears. I own a set of Davisound pres that I like quite a bit and can pick out the Mackies in a blind test every time. All I gotta do is pick the one that sounds like it further away with that "haze" in the high end.
I'll second that. Even my elcheapo ART tube amp sounds light years clearer. Even my room mates, none of whom are particularly audio inclined, or knew what to look for in the sound of a preamp, could imediately difference between the two.

While the hype surrounding high end gear is quite often just that, it's not all bollocks. I have no idea who or why the article on pro-rec was written, but it goes to show that you can't believe everything you read on the web.
Last edited by Mr. Dipity on Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

probability
gettin' sounds

Post by probability » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:54 pm

Sorry, the link didn't work.

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/pressrel.n ... 800020FCF2

And in case that post was directed to me. I was being sarcastic when i said "best in the world."

I don't know anything about these, I've never used a Mackie, nor any great pre amp. I'm just posting so everyone can see this.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:07 pm

Mackies will produce 'servicable' sounds, as in a bass guitar tracked with a Mackie will resemble a bass guitar. It will have bass like characteristics. A snare will sound like...well, you can tell it's a snare if it's tracked with a Mackie. If you do vocals, and sing something like, "Sweet Mountain Mama!", most likely a Mackie will audibly manifest that phrase to tape, so you can recognize it.

You can do all of these things with a Mackie. However, as a personal preference, I wouldn't want to. I like the pre's in a Portastudio better.

Just my .02 cents.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:22 am

It makes me wonder who these guys are in the shootout - they actually preferred the mackie to the daking!! Were there Coors light girls standing behind the mackie slow dancing together?

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:38 am

those "guys" in the shootout are some of the most respected and badass engineers here in Nashville,they aint no joke,more gold and platinum between em than fort knox,I use the pre's in a lowly Mackie 8 buss regularly and they are quite good,you guys must be doing something wrong if your not getting acceptable results with them

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:41 am

i looked up those "nashville studios" one can not be found via the phone book, the other does not answer their phone, sounds like reputable studios.

burn nashville burn

kerry
its on like donkey kong!!!!

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:47 am

those studios are exclusive to record labelsand publishing companies they dont want to know or meet or talk to you,Welcome to Nashville

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:12 am

Well, allrighty then. Looks like we were wrong.
Time to sell the Trident.

And next time I'm on the road, I'll be sure to spec a Mackie instead of the usual PM4K/Heritage.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:14 pm

Randall wrote:those "guys" in the shootout are some of the most respected and badass engineers here in Nashville,they aint no joke,more gold and platinum between em than fort knox,I use the pre's in a lowly Mackie 8 buss regularly and they are quite good,you guys must be doing something wrong if your not getting acceptable results with them

Ah yes.....Nashville.....that makes more sense to me now. Nashville "hot shots". Those would be the sorts of guys that produce the songs I hear when I flip channels and land on CMT....that sterile "new country" stuff. Mackies...yep. Makes more sense now.

By the way Randall....I assume since your "professional" opinion is that we must not know how to use em or whatever that you have done many comparisons yourself and have an opinion not "sold" to you by some internet site, right? you HAVE used something other than the Mackies, no?

heylow

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:49 pm

I certainly have smart ass,I wasn't being insultive in that post the point was I get pretty good,not perfect but adequate results out of my Mackie 8 buss for the demo's that go to my publisher,and where you get off with this sterile cold country sound makes me wonder where your coming from,almost all the records that make it to CMT or any kind of label realease are done on synced 2" 16 track machines and mastered profesionally at one of several real mastering houses around here,,cold?sterile?I guess thats why more and more acts across every genre are coming here to use these crappy sounding studios with these wannabe people working in them,,,dude,get a life :lol:

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:16 pm

Dude,I just went to your damned website and took a listen to some of your stuffand IROTFLMAO,,I've always known it's not a good idea to let the guitar player mix the trax but JEEZ,if I was going to be posting in your style I wouldn't leave a link in my profile to any of my stuff,you got no place to dog anybody :roll: :lol:

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:35 pm

Randall wrote:Dude,I just went to your damned website and took a listen to some of your stuffand IROTFLMAO,,I've always known it's not a good idea to let the guitar player mix the trax but JEEZ,if I was going to be posting in your style I wouldn't leave a link in my profile to any of my stuff,you got no place to dog anybody :roll: :lol:
Cool Randall....then you also read the bit that states:

OK...so you know we're currently recording a record and, unfortunately, that takes more time than we'd like so, just for fun and for the sake of anyone interested, here are a couple of older demos we had lying around.

Please bear in mind these songs were ROUGH production demos built up off of live rehearsal tracks that are a completely separate entity than their actual recorded counterparts...in other words, while these songs may very well be on the record, these demos have nothing to do with the record...you GOT it?

Anyway....you sure put me in my place. Thanks a bunch Randall. :roll: BTW....beyond demos, I wont mix my stuff and you have heard the reason. I have no issue with that and I dont get what this all is in relation to. The fact that I think some real junk comes outta Nashville? I stand by all I have said and add that even a half assed hack like myself can discern between Mackie pres and good ones.....doesnt say much for you, does it? :shock:

heylow