And you thought Walter Sear made you cry..

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
norton
buyin' a studio

Re: And you thought Walter Sear made you cry..

Post by norton » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:53 am

walter sear compared to artie skye?

c'mon folks. you might be pissed off that sear rails against an industry for ramming a inferior quality machine down all of our throats...while telling us at the same time that the new machine (digital) is way better than the old.

i'm super thankful that tapeop ran that piece. now i know how important the word clock is... and converters etc... all the rest of his grumpy sounding talkd is bemoaning the fact that audio engineers used to be able to not only record and mix but also fix and hot-rod their own gear....

hey, wait a minute... this board is filled with guys that do that... sherlock...hamptone....diy mics... and on and on and on and on.

skye... he's a dumbass who's in it for $$ and ego gratification.... and that's painfully obvious from his "client list" and the way he aggresively promotes himself. definitely a brother to "d-funk".

nothing like the venerable mr. sear.

62junior
gettin' sounds

Post by 62junior » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:27 am

Of course I was being sarcastic in my previous post!

KS

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:18 am

do you think that's his real name?

I bet it's a stage name.

And a bad one at that.

Artie Skye.

Bah!

Ian

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:21 am

i am monster face wrote:do you think that's his real name?

I bet it's a stage name.

And a bad one at that.

Artie Skye.

Bah!

Ian
Oh yeah, that's WAY worse than calling yourself "Monster Face." :)

|<|>|

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:11 am

Oh yeah, that's WAY worse than calling yourself "Monster Face."
Hey! That's...well...ummm...I bring this upon myself.

Ian

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:02 am

hahahah I just saw that..there staff looks like a bunch of kids playing with their expensive toys
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

jack's perforated eardrum
audio school graduate

Post by jack's perforated eardrum » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:35 pm

Caldo71 wrote:It's funny this thread got started, I was just reading the Walter Sear thing this morning whilst taking a shit...
What a coincidence!

I found the Sear article alternately interesting and eyeroll-worthy, and I'm glad Tape Op included it. I appreciate Walter's viewpoint and his desire to maintain quality in this industry, but I also find it a bit stifling. I mean, I'm all for faithfully reproducing the recorded instrument and the room, but from where I'm standing faithfully reproducing the idea rolling around in my head is infinitely more important.
I am Jack's perforated eardrum

---
http://sublevel9.net

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:04 am

That guy is ridiculous.

1) Those 10 pitfalls are total nonsense. Basically all he his saying is don't do it yourself, leave it to the professionals... like us. This guy is making a pathetic attempt to turn the tide on the home recording revolution. Please.

2) That place is as vibeless as a Britney Spears record.

3) I have better equipment than that fool and I've never fronted like I have a pro studio.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:15 am

ubertar wrote:
cowtrax wrote:
ubertar wrote:Then there's this Skye guy. He doesn't like home studios because they are competition. He has to diss you because you can do a better job, cheaper, and he knows it.
Better Job? And cheaper? I don't think his published rates proclaim 'cheaper' than a lot of talented home recordists' budgets. And until I hear some of his recordings, my jury's still out on better.
Your first statement makes no sense to me, cowtrax. Are you defending Skye? Or did you misread my post?
Whether or not you are better or cheaper than Skye obviously depends on who you are. When I said, "you can do a better job, cheaper", I was thinking of the majority of tape oppers, whose rates are probably significantly lower than Mr. Skye, and who I would trust infinitely more to record my stuff than him. If you're saying that recording with you would be more expensive than Skye and sound worse, well, I won't argue with you.
True, I haven't heard any of his recordings, but as they say, if it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat...
I misread your post. very badly. Sorry about that. :oops:
I am with you on this.

That's one of the great things about this board vs almost any other web forum out there - I made an honest (and stupid) mistake and didn't get totally reamed for it.

(And no, I doubt I'm more expensive and worse sounding :D )
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

superluminalmagus
gettin' sounds

Post by superluminalmagus » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:36 am

That's cool with the whole "professional" thing, but really, does it REALLY matter if its pro or not? I mean, what's the goal here? To make decent recordings. The means to the end is irrelavant. If the recording is good, fine, if the performance is good, great. If the performance is bad the recording will not make up for it. Ever. Is it a poor recording of a good band that people enjoy? Yes? Good, that's all that really matters.

I daresay that the people that can afford to use these facilities don't need to be told they "must use a professional facility" by anyone.

It has always annoyed me when people say something like "you'll never be a pro in your house" or whatever. Who cares? I know that a lot of those people are saying that because really they need to in order to keep their business going, as Mr. Sear said, its a dead art and anybody can do it (perhaps not doing it right), and you can't compete with free.

I don't know, its all a bit dodgy to me. I enjoy music and I enjoy recording. Give me a note-to-self recorder and I'll do my best and for me, that's the end of it. Some people settle for less - I'm one of them.
:?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin.
The second is this: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these. - Jesus Christ.

superluminalmagus
gettin' sounds

Post by superluminalmagus » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:55 am

Let me also add that if I went out today and set up a multimillion dollar studio, rooms built from the ground up, etc, that would NOT make me a professional (although, it would help :D). The same can be said from the other side of the spectrum. I've recorded in "pro" studios with all the fancy rooms and all that and I've gotten back masters that sounded like amateur material. :(

As Mr. Sear says, its the engineer, not the tools. Maybe I've taken that out of context but that's what I got out of his enlightening interview.

I'm not dissing any pros out there, these are all just my opinions.

Cheers!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin.
The second is this: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these. - Jesus Christ.

Paul Schubert
audio school

Post by Paul Schubert » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:42 am

Check out the Platinum Demo Plan. There he offers:
? High quality MP3 version for upload to the internet
High Quality=MP3 ? HMMMM...
Paul Schubert

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:33 pm

That's cool with the whole "professional" thing, but really, does it REALLY matter if its pro or not
Hey I have Pro-Tools doesn't that automatically make me a pro-fessional?

huh?
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3