where to go in atlanta

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
packupthekids
audio school graduate

where to go in atlanta

Post by packupthekids » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:43 am

hey guys i am in atlanta for the next week or so and am wondering where are the best spots to look for used instruments and recording gear, if there are any? also i'm looking for pretty much anything else to do over the next week, i am staying near the georgia dome

thanks

Lazy_Q
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: where to go in atlanta

Post by Lazy_Q » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:04 pm

Here's what I know, though I'd love to hear a few more voices chime in.

My favorite places in atlanta to look for used gear are the used room at Atlanta Pro Audio (just across the highway from the guitar center near North Druid Hills, sorta), Dirt Cheap Music and Atlanta Vintage Guitars (which are both pretty much at South Cobb Dr. and Windy Hill), and random pawn shops, though I can't reccomend any particular ones offhand. Unfortunately, a lot of the places I just mentioned are a pretty good drive north of the city.

Around the Georgia Dome? Might be a few interesting pawn shops. I'm familiar with the Georgia Tech area around/a bit north of there and it's not exactly a nexus of cool musical wares.

Clark music/pawn on ponce closed so that's out. There is (was?) a decent music store in East atlanta next to the Echo Lounge. There's occasionally a decent find at the used rack at GC (groan here), and if you know where to find it there's once in a blue moon a decent deal at Wizard Electronics (they're the primary live/studio gear repair shop in town, and they have misc junk in their front lobby).

I've lived here my whole life, and I'd love to hear something better.

WyteTyger
ass engineer

Post by WyteTyger » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:41 pm

Midtown Music: http://www.midtownmusic.com/

It's probably a good 20 minute drive from the dome, but it's worth it. It's where you'll find all the hip vintage stuff. They're also a Victoria Amps dealer. As far as the weekend goes...I bartend at a giant (26,000 square foot) new club called Compound. If you're looking for more of a rock club try the Echo Lounge, The Earl or The Local or if you feel like dancing check out MJQ. Actually, MJQ has a bit of everything. Check out a Creative Loafing when you get into town. Hope that helps!

Chris

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:05 pm

I'm going to go there, too, end of August. Another trade show casualty. What about jazz clubs, like progressive jazz clubs?
HEY! Who forgot they bag?