Favorite Drum Sounds

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: Favorite Drum Sounds

Post by trashy » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:05 am

Green Typwriters I-V wrote:
But then, when you get into more rockin' songs, like "Holland, 1945" hooooooly CRAP.
Hoooooooly CRAP, indeed. I like the way he changes the snare pattern at the end of the phrases. That tape was slammed HARD on that track.

I think I get bored of suggesting Neutral Milk Hotel on this bored. I swear half of my posts are about that record. It is - by far - the best thing released in the last ten years...

Theron D
pushin' record

Post by Theron D » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:32 am

Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)......great drums especially "Third Uncle"

Theron D

EarlSlick
takin' a dinner break

Post by EarlSlick » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:08 am

The Cars firast album has some great drums sounds. Also I really drum sounds on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, by Wilco. AS of lately i've really been obsessed with the drums sounds on Pulp's album, A Different Class.

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:51 am

I forgot about how great the drums (and everything else) sound on the first Cars album. That also reminds me of how great the drums (and everything else) sound on Get The Knack.

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bentonevolution » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:25 pm

Chad Sexton from 311 always has the SICKEST drum sounds to me. Everything is perfect. With a drummer like that, there's very little for an engineer to do except place microphones.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:28 pm

Green Typwriters I-V wrote:For some reason i find it hard to beleive that i am the ONLY ONE thus far to mention Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over the Sea.

I mean, when you look at the drum sounds alone, you get nice, really weird sounding mellow sound on the song "In the Aeroplane over the sea"

But then, when you get into more rockin' songs, like "Holland, 1945" hooooooly CRAP.

On that same note, the way the drum hits sound at the end of "Ghost" on that album blows my mind EVER SINGLE TIME.

Combine that with the fact that Jeremy Barnes is just such a good drummer, and bingo. You got it.
I like nearly everything about that record. When I heard it in the tenth grade, I put in a bunch of extra hours for about a month, went and bought an acoustic guitar and have hardly played an electric since.
I am wangtacular.

cities
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cities » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:55 am

off the top of my head

ringo in so so many songs, but especially "a day in the life" when he does those amazing fills in between john's vocal. and i love his playing on george's "wah-wah" (all things must pass) too. oh, and on "flying" (magical mystery tour) too...ok must stop with the ringo...

spoon's "lines in the suit" from girls can tell -- the most recent song to make me go "wow drums sound great on this"

the weird drum sounds all over camper van beethoven's key lime pie, with that sounds-kinda-eighties-except-really-dry thing going

pixies' surfer rosa of course (already mentioned many times), and by association breeders title TK (especially that first song where kim sings over the drums "round up holler girl!" -- so great)

kinks' "we are the village green preservation society"

stewart copeland all over ghost in the machine -- the arrangements on that album are so ridiculously overblown and heavy, but the whole thing manages to stay aloft in no small part because of the way stewart's drums cut through the mix and hold it all together.

i love the sound georgia gets out of her drums on just about every yo la tengo record in the past ten years

"goin' out west" on tom waits' bone machine -- is that brain playing? i can't remember...

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:34 am

cities wrote:spoon's "lines in the suit" from girls can tell -- the most recent song to make me go "wow drums sound great on this"
Oh yeah! I forgot about that one. The drum sounds on that album are a perfect primer for the use of compression.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:02 pm

NEUROSIS- The Sun That Never Sets
NEUROSIS- Soverign
Black Cross- Art Offensive
ISIS- Oceanian
Bane- Give Blood

Aeroplane Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Aeroplane Audio » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:09 pm

trashy wrote:
Green Typwriters I-V wrote:
Hoooooooly CRAP, indeed. I like the way he changes the snare pattern at the end of the phrases. That tape was slammed HARD on that track.

I think I get bored of suggesting Neutral Milk Hotel on this bored. I swear half of my posts are about that record. It is - by far - the best thing released in the last ten years...
You and I are freinds by default then, you see.

That album is one of the very few that kicks my ass every single time i listen to it.

That album is why i was so nervous when i had a conversation with Robert Schneider about recording.
"There are two kinds of mistakes: The regular kind, and the kind that don't sound too good"
-Thelonious Monk
--------------------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/tuttutkc
www.myspace.com/ironpawrecords

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:32 pm

cities wrote:ringo in so so many songs, but especially "a day in the life" when he does those amazing fills in between john's vocal. and i love his playing on george's "wah-wah" (all things must pass) too. oh, and on "flying" (magical mystery tour) too...ok must stop with the ringo...
I dont think Ringo was on the ATMP album. I'm sure it was Alan White.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:59 am

InvalidInk-that rules, brah.

gandhabba
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gandhabba » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:56 am

Ones that occurred to me reading this thread: Lenny White on Romantic Warrior and Billy Cobham on Quadrant 4 (for those really open ringy toms); Bill Stevenson on that blue Descendents record (ALL); the swish cymbal on the Weakerthans (Left and Leaving)...

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:59 am

someone mentioned Tom Waits earlier, that made me think of the junk yard drum beats in 'Big In Japan'...that makes me love the song on top of the brilliant, ironic lyrics...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

Fuquan
pluggin' in mics

Post by Fuquan » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:32 am

Another vote for NMH's aeroplane drum sound. In fact everything on that record comes together just about perfectly. I saw Jeremy Barnes play with Broadcast last year; damn fantastic drummer.

I also like the drums on "Rid of Me" and "Spiderland." Those left a particular impression on me. The drum sounds on GoF's "Entertainment" are just perfect for that album. And I alway's liked U2's drum sound when I was growing up (the Lillywhite produced stuff and unforgettable fire).

And...Jeff Lynne's drum sound. I like it despite the loads of crap he helped make.
Animals can't feel pain!