Micing a kick drum with a speaker?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Alley Cat
audio school graduate

Micing a kick drum with a speaker?

Post by Alley Cat » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:44 pm

I've read about people using a speaker as a kick mic in the studio.
Have any of you guys tried this, and if so, how did you like the
results compared to a mic? Does a larger speaker work better than a small one, or is a large speaker not sensitive enough? Seems like a large speaker wouldpick up more low end. I have a 12" & 10" speakers both mounted in cabs that I could use for this application. Is there anything I need to know, like should I run the speaker into a passive DI and then into the mic pre, maybe? I'm guessing you need a lot of gain for this
to work. I'm not too unhappy with the present kick sound but am looking for more low end.

Al

dMiurge
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Micing a kick drum with a speaker?

Post by dMiurge » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:16 pm

You actually don't need a lot of gain. A powerful kick can push a speaker quite a bit. No need to use a DI either, just wire an xlr cable to an old speaker and run it through a mic pre. However, it rarely will sound good alone. You still need to use a mic to capture the detail, but it does add a nice low thump to the sound.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:38 am

In my limited experience, a smaller speaker works a bit better. I use a cheap 8" for DIY home stereo. It's got a pretty lightweight cone, so it moves easily. Made a sort of cradle that screws to a mic stand to hold it up in front of the drum. Search here for threads on this topic; I think one has some wiring tips. Bottom end for sure, but I hear a bit of definition too. Works well with something like a 421 on the batter side, and the speaker out front...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:50 am

kylethompson
pushin' record

Post by kylethompson » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:33 pm

Never really like the results for kick, but this method works great for bass guitar. It could be lore but I belive most of the motown bass guys like James Jameson were recorded with a a bass spaeker as mic. I've alos heard that "rain" and "paperback writer" were recorded this way s well.

I rigged up a kenwood car stereo speaker in a milk crate that I use to record bass tracks and occasionally as an auxilliary mic on kick. The car speaker is, however, a 2 way meaning that it has a woofer and a tweeter hooked up to the same input via the x-over. The sound I get out of mine is actually suprisingly full range. Just xlr and (pins 2 and 3 to hot and ground with nothing on pin 1) right into the mic pre. super high output. They look like this only without the extra tweeter. Image
On bass they give a really warm low end without the huge difference in volume from note to note. I rarely compress the bass when using the speaker mic, but have to use lots when recording a regular dynamic mic.
"I tell you this because, as an artist, I think you'll understand."

beebe
studio intern

Post by beebe » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:25 pm

i used a guitar combo with a 12" speaker. there was a 1/4" input on the back that was already wired to the speaker. i just unpluged the amp from it, pluged in a mono 1/4-to-XLR cable and ran it to the preamp. i just set the amp in front of the kick. it required very little work. with the speaker being 12" the sound was kind of ghetto bass.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:20 pm

I tried this once with a 15" bass cab. WOW! 80hz and down! Talk about subsonic. I had to pad my mic pre down as far as it would go to keep from clipping. I didn't end up using it much in the mix, but I can't wait to do a drum and bass or hiphop session. This would work great!

Sonic BOOM!

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:14 am

hey alley-

we messed around with this the other day at work. we just took a crappy old bookshelf type speaker and hooked it up to a 1/4" jack then put it through a DI and it was fucking awesome.

we tried it as a FOK mic as well and nuked it with a distressor, really cool, there was so much low-end that we put in the low cut filter on the pre and shelved down the lows about 3 dB at 150Hz.

If you've got a cab with a speaker mounted just plug a 1/4" in then into a DI and you should be all set.
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

ludwigpatricia
audio school graduate

Post by ludwigpatricia » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:31 pm

You could purchase the
Yamaha SKRM100 SUBKICK Low Frequency Capture Microphone
only $300.

ludwigpatricia
audio school graduate

Post by ludwigpatricia » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:32 pm

You could purchase the
only $300.

dMiurge
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dMiurge » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:27 pm

ludwigpatricia wrote:You could purchase the
only $300.
Or you could build one yourself with an old speaker and a mic cable for almost nothing.

ludwigpatricia
audio school graduate

Post by ludwigpatricia » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:54 am

Correct, I guess I should have put one of those smiling faced emoticons near the $300, to show that I thought it was funny that Yamaha jumped right onto a homemade product and massproduced it themselves. "Smileylearingface"

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:35 pm

I guess the other thing that would be cool about this is the utter lack of bleed from the other instruments, right? I am dying to try this...I didn't even think about the using it on bass guitar idea.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

multitracker
pluggin' in mics

Post by multitracker » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:11 pm

A good application for this is when you don't have a big room. (basement studio) Some rooms you just can't get 20-40Hz going. It falls off in the mix. This trick (paired up with a mic on the kick drum and done correctly) will often give you that sub!
MJ

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by headache9 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:22 am

bringin this up again... I've been using a speaker as a mic with great success... but it puts out a hell of a hot signal. I have to keep my preamp all the way down & it still clips a little..still sounds great though. It's been mentioned but nothing really detailed has been said about making a pad with a resister.
Anyone have luck with padding their speaker mics?

I have a friend who wants to try my speaker mic live but I told him the sound guy will shit when he sees how hot the signal is so we better try to knock it down. Any suggestions on resistance?